Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The game is to easy; add "Hardcore" mode?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 28, 2017
OK, I"ll be the first to admit it: Wizard101, if you know what your doing, can be pretty easy. Perhaps, TOO easy for old veterans like myself and my friends. I mean, for crying out loud, it's possible to get a Wizard from Level 1 to Level 50 in less then 4 weeks!

A friend of mine was playing Diablo II's infamous "Hardcore" mode, which permanently deletes your character upon death, and she said that's what Wizard101 could use: A harder difficulty mode for veteran players who have conquered the original game and want an extra challenge.

Now, I can understand where she's coming from, but adding a Hardcore mode to Wizard101? Really?

Well, first off, this is likely going to require a separate, more then likely members-only server, as I cannot see Hardcore mode, and the normal game, co-existing on the same server.

Secondly, it's probably going to require all the enemies and bosses be made more powerful, so they pose a more legitimate threat to those veteran Wizards. ( E.X. Malistaire having 20,000 health instead of 10,000 )

Thirdly, I can already see it happening: Players permanently losing their Wizards upon losing a duel against a monster, and raging about it in the Commons, Ravenwood, or even here on the Message Boards, demanding their Wizards be brought back, and threatening legal action if refused.

And yes, I know this is nothing new. The Diablo series and Minecraft ( as well as other games that offer a "Hardcore" feature ) have their fair share of people who do this kind of childish thing upon losing the game, and personally, I feel like they really need to take a step back and calm down. If they lost their Hardcore Wizard on account of their own stupidity, it's their fault and theirs alone.

Fourthly, trolls. And I'm not talking about the various troll-class mobs around the Spiral, I'm talking about people who deliberately sabotage duels for the sole purpose of getting on other players nerves, or even causing them to lose the duel, which is something they should be banned for, if at all possible. You can bet there will be "Bandit Wizards" out there, getting others killed off just for the sake of "Lowering the Wizard population".

Now, I can see some positives to this idea, as well. Firstly, it will give those old veteran players something new to challenge themselves with, and if there is no option to flee the duel and come back, it will really force them to re-think their strategy with certain bosses, rather then just relying on Dungeon Recall.

Secondly, it may encourage more people to buy membership in order to get access to this harder mode, since it will likely have to be on a separate server from the main game. Believe it or not, many people ( myself included ) LOVE the thrill of living life on the edge, so we'd probably leap right in if given the chance.

That's just my speculation. I'm sure there are more positives and negatives to adding a "Hardcore" mode to Wizard101, just for the sole purpose of giving old players a new challenge.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Jessica U on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
OK, I"ll be the first to admit it: Wizard101, if you know what your doing, can be pretty easy. Perhaps, TOO easy for old veterans like myself and my friends. I mean, for crying out loud, it's possible to get a Wizard from Level 1 to Level 50 in less then 4 weeks!

A friend of mine was playing Diablo II's infamous "Hardcore" mode, which permanently deletes your character upon death, and she said that's what Wizard101 could use: A harder difficulty mode for veteran players who have conquered the original game and want an extra challenge.

Now, I can understand where she's coming from, but adding a Hardcore mode to Wizard101? Really?

Well, first off, this is likely going to require a separate, more then likely members-only server, as I cannot see Hardcore mode, and the normal game, co-existing on the same server.

Secondly, it's probably going to require all the enemies and bosses be made more powerful, so they pose a more legitimate threat to those veteran Wizards. ( E.X. Malistaire having 20,000 health instead of 10,000 )

Thirdly, I can already see it happening: Players permanently losing their Wizards upon losing a duel against a monster, and raging about it in the Commons, Ravenwood, or even here on the Message Boards, demanding their Wizards be brought back, and threatening legal action if refused.

And yes, I know this is nothing new. The Diablo series and Minecraft ( as well as other games that offer a "Hardcore" feature ) have their fair share of people who do this kind of childish thing upon losing the game, and personally, I feel like they really need to take a step back and calm down. If they lost their Hardcore Wizard on account of their own stupidity, it's their fault and theirs alone.

Fourthly, trolls. And I'm not talking about the various troll-class mobs around the Spiral, I'm talking about people who deliberately sabotage duels for the sole purpose of getting on other players nerves, or even causing them to lose the duel, which is something they should be banned for, if at all possible. You can bet there will be "Bandit Wizards" out there, getting others killed off just for the sake of "Lowering the Wizard population".

Now, I can see some positives to this idea, as well. Firstly, it will give those old veteran players something new to challenge themselves with, and if there is no option to flee the duel and come back, it will really force them to re-think their strategy with certain bosses, rather then just relying on Dungeon Recall.

Secondly, it may encourage more people to buy membership in order to get access to this harder mode, since it will likely have to be on a separate server from the main game. Believe it or not, many people ( myself included ) LOVE the thrill of living life on the edge, so we'd probably leap right in if given the chance.

That's just my speculation. I'm sure there are more positives and negatives to adding a "Hardcore" mode to Wizard101, just for the sole purpose of giving old players a new challenge.
How to make the game hardcore yourself?

TRAIN THE STAR SCHOOL SPELL "BERSERK", MAX IT OUT IN YOUR DECK AND USE IT EVERY FIGHT.

Pet? "May cast berserk"

Challenge accepted?

The game IS probably too easy for you, but it was built more to tether to a younger group of wizards. While I too would totally jump onto a Hardcore version of Wiz, I think it would be too much work for Kingsisle to both monitor the current Wizard101, along with changing EVERY SINGLE VALUE for this new Hardcore Wizard101 AND monitor Pirate101 as well as their other games.

I am familiar with some games that has such things as private servers where people have copied and manipulated the game files to make things more easy or difficult, but wizard101 does not have such servers in effect. And by the negatives you listed above, it speaks for itself why.

Have you done the Sands of Time without looking up the cheats with friends? I'm sure a lot of veteran wizards were surprised by that one! It also goes to show that KI can give us a challenge if they wanted us to

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander Main
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Nathan GreenEyes 85+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
There are a variety of games out there that are different from each other. There are games that cater to hardcore. There are games that have no battles but just questing & fun. There are games like W101 that caters to 'family'. The list goes on and on.

WHY is it, with all the hardcore games out there, that people with a certain mindset/attitude feel as though EVERY game needs to be hardcore or made into a hardcore game? Why can't there be a delineation between games?

I play a lot of MMORPG games plus other types. I enjoy all my games as it was developed. I play hardcore games, I play simple questing games, I play games like W101 and P101 for the family-style play and fun.

So, why do people like you insist on changing the atmosphere of a game, particularly this one? Want hardcore? Play another game. Want something fun and relaxing? Play W101 or P101. It's that easy.

I am writing this post, pretending that what you wrote is serious and not trollish (coming from a recently created account that has only 2 posts).

"Veterans" can make their own decisions on how they want to play and make the game more challenging by using lower level gear (or no gear), bad pets (or no pets). There is a lot to do in the game as it is. The game does not need more changes to cater to the hardcore set that needs to live life on the edge.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
If you want a challenge, then you should delete your own character if you die (not have the game do it). Use only dropped gear and see how far you get. Died? Feel free to delete your character even if you have mounts, crown gear, farmed gear, houses, etc.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on Feb 21, 2017 wrote:
There are a variety of games out there that are different from each other. There are games that cater to hardcore. There are games that have no battles but just questing & fun. There are games like W101 that caters to 'family'. The list goes on and on.

WHY is it, with all the hardcore games out there, that people with a certain mindset/attitude feel as though EVERY game needs to be hardcore or made into a hardcore game? Why can't there be a delineation between games?

I play a lot of MMORPG games plus other types. I enjoy all my games as it was developed. I play hardcore games, I play simple questing games, I play games like W101 and P101 for the family-style play and fun.

So, why do people like you insist on changing the atmosphere of a game, particularly this one? Want hardcore? Play another game. Want something fun and relaxing? Play W101 or P101. It's that easy.

I am writing this post, pretending that what you wrote is serious and not trollish (coming from a recently created account that has only 2 posts).

"Veterans" can make their own decisions on how they want to play and make the game more challenging by using lower level gear (or no gear), bad pets (or no pets). There is a lot to do in the game as it is. The game does not need more changes to cater to the hardcore set that needs to live life on the edge.
This right here is the kind of ridiculous bias that makes it so hard for many hardcore players to support casual players when they (rightfully) call for an easier main quest.

The op is not asking for a complete change to wizard 101 the main game. What she is asking for is a hard core mode aka difficulty settings that many casual players were asking for. Yet as soon as the word "hardcore" appears it seems all rationale heads out the window.

We have hardcore and casual here. It would be in KIs best interest to retain both.

Defender
Nov 14, 2015
Jessica U on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:

not even going to read the rest, just gonna correct you here, you can get a izard to 120 in 4 weeks, you can easily get a wizard to lvl 50 in 4 days

Defender
Nov 14, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Feb 22, 2017 wrote:
This right here is the kind of ridiculous bias that makes it so hard for many hardcore players to support casual players when they (rightfully) call for an easier main quest.

The op is not asking for a complete change to wizard 101 the main game. What she is asking for is a hard core mode aka difficulty settings that many casual players were asking for. Yet as soon as the word "hardcore" appears it seems all rationale heads out the window.

We have hardcore and casual here. It would be in KIs best interest to retain both.
yep yep, just add a new realm that says hardcore ambrose and so on and so forth

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on Feb 22, 2017 wrote:

It's not a ridiculous bias. Did you really read the op's post? Did you really read my responses?

"WHY is it, with all the hardcore games out there, that people with a certain mindset/attitude feel as though EVERY game needs to be hardcore or made into a hardcore game? Why can't there be a delineation between games? "

My response. Certain mindsets/attitudes want every game to be a certain way. If they something a certain way, then they need to FIND a game that caters to their needs and not try to (force) change a game what was never made a certain way.

Having a game with more difficulty is different than trying to make a game completely change their form and function. Hardcore or casual should be balanced if they are on the same servers. You can't have one or the other completely, that's true.

I'm getting to the point now that I see too many people that won't take the blinders off and see the forest through the trees. They appear selfish and self-serving without consideration for other players. Honestly, I'm sick of the attitudes. I wish I could say more, but frankly, I would be banned for life.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on Feb 22, 2017 wrote:
It's not a ridiculous bias. Did you really read the op's post? Did you really read my responses?

"WHY is it, with all the hardcore games out there, that people with a certain mindset/attitude feel as though EVERY game needs to be hardcore or made into a hardcore game? Why can't there be a delineation between games? "

My response. Certain mindsets/attitudes want every game to be a certain way. If they something a certain way, then they need to FIND a game that caters to their needs and not try to (force) change a game what was never made a certain way.

Having a game with more difficulty is different than trying to make a game completely change their form and function. Hardcore or casual should be balanced if they are on the same servers. You can't have one or the other completely, that's true.

I'm getting to the point now that I see too many people that won't take the blinders off and see the forest through the trees. They appear selfish and self-serving without consideration for other players. Honestly, I'm sick of the attitudes. I wish I could say more, but frankly, I would be banned for life.
Did you read the op's post? She did not propose ANY changes to the w101 main game. In fact she made it abundantly clear that perhaps this hardcore mode could be on it's own server.

You're arguing against a point the op never made. She is not trying to change the main game. She simply wants an option that caters to her and others like her tastes.

If she was arguing for changing the main game to be hardcore then maybe your argument would have feet to stand on. However you're arguing against a stance no one in this thread has taken.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Want hard core? Stop using all your super WW/DM farmed gear. Go "bare" or without pets. Heck even try to use only 3 or 4 pip spells or without a wand. You have the power to make this game as easy or hard as you want it, without demanding KI add new realms coded just for you.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
BrynnerOfReign on Feb 22, 2017 wrote:

Imagine these hardcore players applying these rules in real life; games like Candyland and hopscotch will never be the same! Sorry my dear, sweet Grand Ma Ma but you didn't make it passed Gum Drop Mountain within five turns, so its cement booties for you! Wizard 101 is a family game. Your suggestion for hardcore players to either find games that cater to their needs and for these folks to handicap their gear, weapons, and pets are both spot on. You can't please everyone, but then again; you don't have too!

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
Want hard core? Stop using all your super WW/DM farmed gear. Go "bare" or without pets. Heck even try to use only 3 or 4 pip spells or without a wand. You have the power to make this game as easy or hard as you want it, without demanding KI add new realms coded just for you.
Why should a game offer no challenges to a player who has attained the best of the best? Why should players have to constantly downgrade themselves to have fun? Is that great design?

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Tylerwildpants on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
Imagine these hardcore players applying these rules in real life; games like Candyland and hopscotch will never be the same! Sorry my dear, sweet Grand Ma Ma but you didn't make it passed Gum Drop Mountain within five turns, so its cement booties for you! Wizard 101 is a family game. Your suggestion for hardcore players to either find games that cater to their needs and for these folks to handicap their gear, weapons, and pets are both spot on. You can't please everyone, but then again; you don't have too!
In real life these ARE applied to games. Running is a pretty casual sport anyone can take part in. Add some competitive spirit and have viola you have the 100m sprint. Swimming in the pool is a pretty down to earth casual activity. For those who want something more there is the Olympics. I find it ironic that the casual players who huddle under the banner of "inclusiveness" and accuse hardcore players of "elitism" want hardcore players to go find another game. Doesn't get more elitist than the "this is my game and if you don't like it then leave" attitude that is being demonstrated here.

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
As a "middle of the road" player, who enjoys occasional difficult combat, but also the story and side activities, the game is about right as it is. Some will always want to be more "hardcore" but they can solo or take off gear, or try to do battles faster. Some want EVERYTHING nerfed to Jello, but that's super boring for the rest of us. The game shouldn't a cakewalk for the least skilled player solo. If you lose a fight, find a friend to help or try another strategy. There is no impossible content, or anything close. IMO the last Mirage nerf was too much.

I'd like more OPTIONAL hard side content from time to time, but there's no need to change the basic game. It's great!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
From my experience in playing wizard101 for 6 1/2 years I noticed players are making the game too easy by over powering their spells from the use of their gear, pets, enhancements along with feints. Feints are the equivalents of 2 blades. We are all in control on how easy or hard we make this game. If you people think certain worlds and battles are too easy, why not make your own difficulties by adjusting your gear; down grade it, use less enhancements, change pets, cut back on the use of feints and the team you pick. Any of those combinations will due.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Tylerwildpants on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
Why do I feel that there are some Grand Ma Mas ( or Pap Paws ) in this game that regularly whoop boss tushie?

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
Did you read the op's post? She did not propose ANY changes to the w101 main game. In fact she made it abundantly clear that perhaps this hardcore mode could be on it's own server.

You're arguing against a point the op never made. She is not trying to change the main game. She simply wants an option that caters to her and others like her tastes.

If she was arguing for changing the main game to be hardcore then maybe your argument would have feet to stand on. However you're arguing against a stance no one in this thread has taken.
Demanding a private "playground" would take time and resources away from KI that would not have enough return financially for the effort.
She also advocates the permanent loss of a character when defeated - this is going too far for a game that makes it's money from not only memberships but extra purchases from the Crown Shop.
In any case, the way to get that hardcore "thrill" is in the player's hands.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Excerpt from the original poster Jessica U:

"Well, first off, this is likely going to require a separate, more then likely members-only server, as I cannot see Hardcore mode, and the normal game, co-existing on the same server."

Even the title of the thread says "add "Hardcore" MODE?"

So even asking for harder difficulty on a different server is a problem. You can have your cake walk server and we can have our beast server or mode.

Wizard101 maybe a family game, but it is a hardcore game. If it wasn't you wouldn't see 'I am quitting, it's too hard' posts. This game is very hardcore, but after every update gets nerfed into cakewalk oblivion because of the 'If anything can beat me I'm quitting' posts.

Even the optional content (Darkmoor) has been nerfed twice. People swear they need to have Darkmoor gear to even attempt to do mirage (lie), and that there are no other options for gear (lie) *cough* (Exalted Dungeons). Even though you don't need the gear to finish mirage. Yes it does make it easier but if you don't know what you're doing the gear isn't going to help you in the slightest.

This thread is just an extension of what casual players were saying two months ago when they were trying to come up with ideas for both sides to have an enjoyable experience pre-nerf. Now that the I'm gonna quit if you don't change it campaign worked and you got your nerf, even ideas that were coming from the other side like Jessica is also proposing now get responses like... Oh no! No way! You want to change this just for you. Why should KI waste resources?

Maybe I should take a page out of your book and start posting on every thread and demand it be coded harder. These are the changes I want and I will quit if I don't get my way. That is exactly what happened.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
So what exactly was the point in me spending time earning gear and spells? Making pets the way I want them?

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Mr Talon on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
So what exactly was the point in me spending time earning gear and spells? Making pets the way I want them?
If you want hardcore do it yourself, instead of asking ( or demanding ) that KI spend time and resources on adding an extra private "playground" without much financial return.
Or how's this - you want a "hardcore" realm? then you pay extra for it. Extra to membership or a higher cost in zones. That'll cover any losses KI may incur giving you what you want.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Why should a game offer no challenges to a player who has attained the best of the best? Why should players have to constantly downgrade themselves to have fun? Is that great design?
Here's the thing. After you get the best of the best gear and pets, of course, you're going to find the game easy. Sorry, but that's 'your' issue and not the rest of the players. KI can only do so much. It's a shame they broke down and tried to cater to the hardcore, but apparently, that's not enough for 'you'. All of you are going to keep asking for more and more hard (hardcore) content and it will still won't be enough to satisfy the 'living life on the edge' in a game.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
In real life these ARE applied to games. Running is a pretty casual sport anyone can take part in. Add some competitive spirit and have viola you have the 100m sprint. Swimming in the pool is a pretty down to earth casual activity. For those who want something more there is the Olympics. I find it ironic that the casual players who huddle under the banner of "inclusiveness" and accuse hardcore players of "elitism" want hardcore players to go find another game. Doesn't get more elitist than the "this is my game and if you don't like it then leave" attitude that is being demonstrated here.
You may be on to something there Eric. My family has been playing Wizard101 since Beta, and we've seen lots of players come and go. Along the way, we've teamed with some fantastic players; both casual and hardcore without any banners of "inclusiveness" or "elitism". Because we all play for the love of the game, with everyone enjoying the shared company of cool, fun players. Now, I spend the majority of my time in the game helping other players get through whatever battles and dungeons they want the most help in. I also farm for treasured cards to give to random players, and freely hatch all my pets; all because I can. And my family continues to play Wizard101 because it's a great family game. I also crave and thrive on hardcore content and welcome and appreciate whatever challenges are thrown my way, cause it's such a rush being able to successfully figure out different ways to get through the content. So here's to everyone getting to enjoy playing Wizard101 to the fullest extent possible!

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Demanding a private "playground" would take time and resources away from KI that would not have enough return financially for the effort.
She also advocates the permanent loss of a character when defeated - this is going too far for a game that makes it's money from not only memberships but extra purchases from the Crown Shop.
In any case, the way to get that hardcore "thrill" is in the player's hands.
A private playground? As far as I know this server would be open to all users. Nor is she demanding anything, she is posting an idea she would like to see in the game.

How do you know what the financial impact of such a server would be? It could just as easily make a profit as lose it. That's for KI to decide.

Permadeath would be a function of the hardcore server not the main game.

Finally the game offers many ways to make it easier. Yet we see casual players refusing to farm, refusing to use team up, refusing to ask for help etc. But heaven forbid anyone suggest this. Nah, the onus should be on the hardcore players to DOWNGRADE themselves instead of players to upgrade themselves.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
It can be related to real life. Here's how it goes:

Running games: Casual running in the neighborhood and parks with friends. Want a more challenging run? Then you leave the 'casual running game' and go to the game "100m sprint", or the "Marathon" running game. Totally separate games. You leave one to go to another.

Swimming games: Swimming around in a neighborhood pool or a backyard pool. Fun for everyone! Want more to swimming? Leave the neighborhood pool or backyard pool game and go to the other game "Olympic Pool" and do all the fun hardcore stuff to maintain swimming in the Olympic pool or compete in the Olympics. Again, you leave one to go to another.

Many hardcore players are elitists and it's apparent in the game as well as on the boards. Other board posters are trying to find common ground to balance casual vs hardcore in W101.

It's not elitist to say W101 is a casual game for the entire family, from young to old. Sure, casual players want to be 'inclusive'. It is their right to be able to play every aspect of this family-oriented casual game. Hardcore players are welcome, too, but it's obvious that hardcore players want to leave casual players behind to play in their own hard content and push away players they feel aren't 'worth' being allowed in the hardcore world.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Even the optional content (Darkmoor) has been nerfed twice. People swear they need to have Darkmoor gear to even attempt to do mirage (lie), and that there are no other options for gear (lie) *cough* (Exalted Dungeons). Even though you don't need the gear to finish mirage. Yes it does make it easier but if you don't know what you're doing the gear isn't going to help you in the slightest.

I'm good with having super hard side dungeons. But, they should not have spells and the gear dropped is slightly better than crafted. Darkmoor is a dungeon where it is now necessary to help you through the game.

How many times have people discussed that there need to be more options for players to obtain gear? Not everyone farms because of time limits on the computer, or family, or school, or are not into farming. Different tiers of gear should be readily available to everyone who wishes it - depending on what they want to do to obtain it. It's not feasible to keep suggesting 'farm this' or 'farm that'. For some, it's not an option. Bazaar, vendor and crafted gear need to be included, as I've said many times before.