Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How can you wisely use training points??

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 12, 2017
I have 6 training points and im a level 22 death wizard, im thinking a smart way to go about this is invest all 6 points into the fire school and have fire as my secondary school so i can get meteor and sunbird. However not sure if thats a good idea, anyone have anything to say about this?

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
It isn't really wise to spend your training points for hitting spells. Later, your gear will give school specific stats making it a waste to hit with off school hits because they will be much weaker than your school spells. You should train up to specific spells that you want. Tower shield is very useful to have. It's popular to train life up to satyr although as a death you might not need that. Keep in mind also that later, in Celestia, you are going to need training points for auras and enchants so it would be wise to save training points for later.

Hope that helps

Moira Stormheart

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Defender
Dec 06, 2009
You would probably be better off working towards tower shield in Ice school, and/or getting the spirit trap/spirit blade from the balance tree in Krokotopia. In the long run you will probably be disappointed in going into fire just to get the AOE...even with a fire mastery amulet I doubt it would be worth it.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
ThyLysander on Feb 19, 2017 wrote:
I have 6 training points and im a level 22 death wizard, im thinking a smart way to go about this is invest all 6 points into the fire school and have fire as my secondary school so i can get meteor and sunbird. However not sure if thats a good idea, anyone have anything to say about this?
Plenty of good replies here, but I want to give you some perspective on things.

Due to gear traits, you'll find that you will nearly always use pips most efficiently, hit hardest, and critical most often when attacking with spells from your own school. Because of this, Training Points are usually used either defensively, or else to augment your hits.

Astral () spells aside from do this quite well for all schools. When you get to Celestia, spending several points on these will be very desirable. Wizards will often train up for Feint. You get this due to already being that school.

spells are often trained to get Tower Shield; Volcanic Shield () is at least as good, since it protects 70% against two of the hardest hitting schools.

Most wizards will often train the +35% or blades from Niles in Krokotopia. There are also +25% traps as well, but they rarely see use.

Much later on, may be trained as well. The only spell you really need from this school is Shadow Shrike.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
As has been mentioned, secondary school attack spells eventually become obsolete. Save your training points for utility spells.

As mentioned, training in Ice up to Tower Shield is a good way to go.

I also learned all of the school shields and dispels.

With my Death, there was a time before free training point buyback where I had bought the Life Trap as well to put up ahead of a Death Prism, as long as your opponent isn't Life. I didn't bother buying it back again when I reset my training points because it's unnecessary now with Potent Trap and all of the school traps, but early on in the game it came in handy dealing that extra damage. If you never buy back your training points, it's not a big loss if you train this one and never use it again after a certain point.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2011
My main character is Valarian a level 120 balance wizard. I have collected a number of mastery type amulets over the years I have played. These are life, death, fire, and storm amulets. I also play life, storm, myth, death and a second balance wizard. Just so you know, I do not do PVP and like to team up to help others a lot. I also have maxed out the setup options and use multiple decks to avoid changing gear or decks before fighting.

This is my list of must have spells using training points.

Death through Feint why because we all need the feint spell to help with damage

Life through Satyr but only if you want to heal others. Now most schools have heals but early on this was must do.

Ice through Tower Shield and Stun block. Tower Shield is the only shield that will counter a balance spell. Stun Block because it helps counter that pesky stun spell that a few schools have at the end of a damage spell.

Balance Reshuffle for everyone. Then elemental or spirit blades and traps which you choose depends on your school. Any increase in damage helps.

Sun- get the boosts to damage. For spell boost all those through Epic. Then Potent Trap, Sharpen Blade and the newer Agies and Indemnity since without them the newer bosses just trash your blades and traps. If you are going to heal then consider Mend and Radical to boost your heals.

Star- Vengence, Amplify and Fortify. I use gear to boost my accuracy and piercing but if you do not then consider infallible. Also get the 25% school boost spell. For you balance wizard I would only get one of the two options which one is up to you. The sabertooth pet will cast punishment if you use it pretty regularly during a battle.

Shadow My favorite are Dark Shepard, Dark Nova, and Dark Fiend. The rest are good too depending on how you play. Healers should have Shadow Seraph

Finally, farm Loremaster for spells or go craft them. See you around the spiral.

Valerian
Prophet of Ra

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Prophet of Ra on Mar 9, 2017 wrote:
My main character is Valarian a level 120 balance wizard. I have collected a number of mastery type amulets over the years I have played. These are life, death, fire, and storm amulets. I also play life, storm, myth, death and a second balance wizard. Just so you know, I do not do PVP and like to team up to help others a lot. I also have maxed out the setup options and use multiple decks to avoid changing gear or decks before fighting.

This is my list of must have spells using training points.

Death through Feint why because we all need the feint spell to help with damage

Life through Satyr but only if you want to heal others. Now most schools have heals but early on this was must do.

Ice through Tower Shield and Stun block. Tower Shield is the only shield that will counter a balance spell. Stun Block because it helps counter that pesky stun spell that a few schools have at the end of a damage spell.

Balance Reshuffle for everyone. Then elemental or spirit blades and traps which you choose depends on your school. Any increase in damage helps.

Sun- get the boosts to damage. For spell boost all those through Epic. Then Potent Trap, Sharpen Blade and the newer Agies and Indemnity since without them the newer bosses just trash your blades and traps. If you are going to heal then consider Mend and Radical to boost your heals.

Star- Vengence, Amplify and Fortify. I use gear to boost my accuracy and piercing but if you do not then consider infallible. Also get the 25% school boost spell. For you balance wizard I would only get one of the two options which one is up to you. The sabertooth pet will cast punishment if you use it pretty regularly during a battle.

Shadow My favorite are Dark Shepard, Dark Nova, and Dark Fiend. The rest are good too depending on how you play. Healers should have Shadow Seraph

Finally, farm Loremaster for spells or go craft them. See you around the spiral.

Valerian
Prophet of Ra
This is mostly good advice.

I do disagree regarding the summons spells. These use two shadow pips, do not critical, and do not benefit from school blades or damage bonus from gear, and cannot be enchanted. Using a shadow pip on a shadow-enhanced in-school spell such as Call of Khrulhu gets you far more bang for your pips, and is also much more reliable due to only needing a single shadow pip.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I wouldn't be in a rush to use training points now. Death doesn't need much, but do get Spirit blade from Niles if you haven't already. Later you will want the Sun school damage boosts beginning at level 50. Get all those as soon as you can. They make a big difference.

Fire is a bad idea, since as others said you can't boost it effectively. If you feel you need an attack-all spell before Scarecrow, you can farm Loremaster for Deer Knight, or try for a Morganthe jewel. Myth to Frog with a myth mastery is another option, but still runs into the problem of boost, though at least myth shares spirit buffs with death.

Ice to Tower Shield, Reshuffle, and Weakness are must-have if you are serious about PvP, but a waste for PvE.

Training the other triple buffs from Niles helps if you are supporting other players when questing.

Some players train Life healing spells and use a life mastery, but since Death has a good heal and many drain spells, that's not really needed.

Infallible, conviction, and the damage boosting aura spells can be very useful.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2012
If you have never reset your training points, you get your first one free.
That being said if you haven't you can go for the aoe spell for now and once it stops being beneficial to use, you can reset your points and train the more desirable spells like everyone above has said.
I have 7 wizards and have reset them all multiple times haha always have that one spell that I didn't need after all or it was replaced by a better spell later on. Like the celestia damage aura that gets replaced by school specific auras in azteca.