Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Power Pip Chance

AuthorMessage
Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Am I the only one who has realized that if your power pip percentage is not over 85% you will only get a power pip every 5 rounds. It seems to me that when ever I have a character with their power pip chance in the 70% they get a power pip about every 5-10 rounds. The 70% chance should mean that you will be getting a power pip 70 out of 100 times. This logic in the game makes no sense. Oh and we can't forget the weird shadow pip logic.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
You know, come to think of it, I've always wondered this as well.

It seems 70% chance or lower = 40%

Don't get it and it can get really annoying. This didn't used to be the case in the past, but I guess things inevitably change.

What's the real mechanic behind this though?

Survivor
Oct 10, 2012
I don't know why the chance would go down if you have a higher percentage so I can't speak to your first concern but with regards to getting power pips 70 out of 100 times, I don't think it works quite that way. It sounds good, but it should be that every new round, you get a 70 percent change of getting a power pip. I don't think it means that in 100 rounds you get power pips with 70 of them. I hope they are not doing it as you say cause then the game has to count all your rounds. If you get 70 power pips by round 89 then you would get NO power pips for next 11 rounds till you get to 100 then it starts over. Also - when would it start over? Do you start counting every time you sign one, even if you don't fight 100 rounds during any one game session? To many variables that don't make much sense anyway. The same would be for accuracy of casting a spell. Each time you cast it you have a x% chance of fizzling. if one has 10% accuracy that applies to each time one casts a spell. It does not mean that soon as you successfully cast that 10th spell (out of 100) that you will fizzle for the rest of 100 count. Then starts over.

NO each round you have a 70% percent chance of getting power pip just as each round you get 10% accuracy applied to the spell being cast.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
lelkilroy on Jan 2, 2017 wrote:
I don't know why the chance would go down if you have a higher percentage so I can't speak to your first concern but with regards to getting power pips 70 out of 100 times, I don't think it works quite that way. It sounds good, but it should be that every new round, you get a 70 percent change of getting a power pip. I don't think it means that in 100 rounds you get power pips with 70 of them. I hope they are not doing it as you say cause then the game has to count all your rounds. If you get 70 power pips by round 89 then you would get NO power pips for next 11 rounds till you get to 100 then it starts over. Also - when would it start over? Do you start counting every time you sign one, even if you don't fight 100 rounds during any one game session? To many variables that don't make much sense anyway. The same would be for accuracy of casting a spell. Each time you cast it you have a x% chance of fizzling. if one has 10% accuracy that applies to each time one casts a spell. It does not mean that soon as you successfully cast that 10th spell (out of 100) that you will fizzle for the rest of 100 count. Then starts over.

NO each round you have a 70% percent chance of getting power pip just as each round you get 10% accuracy applied to the spell being cast.
The game is programmed that it will give you a power pip appropriately so it compares it to how it would give you one compared to 70 out of 100. It's kind of confusing though. By having a 70% chance each round, it's still a 70/100. The game isn't programmed to how it shows. By having a 70% chance to get a powerpip means you will be getting a powerpip more than every other round. You would probably get a normal pip every like 4 rounds.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
frostednutella on Jan 2, 2017 wrote:
The game is programmed that it will give you a power pip appropriately so it compares it to how it would give you one compared to 70 out of 100. It's kind of confusing though. By having a 70% chance each round, it's still a 70/100. The game isn't programmed to how it shows. By having a 70% chance to get a powerpip means you will be getting a powerpip more than every other round. You would probably get a normal pip every like 4 rounds.
That's not how probability works. It's like rolling dice. Each roll is completely independent of any previous roll. You have 7/10 chances of getting a power pip this round regardless of what the last round was. Sometimes you will get a power pip every round, other times you'll get white pips for several in a row. There's nothing off about how the power pip chances work in my experience. It's selective filtering of memory most likely. You notice and remember the times you got white pips three times in a row and inflate that memory, ignoring all the times you got 3 power pips in a row.