Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

10 year ban is unfair???

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 08, 2010
Back when Avalon was released I had completed the world and I decided to work on Grizzleheim so I could get into wintertusk to get the scarecrow pet (I was level 80 death at the time) and I was able to have Open Chat at the time, I was pretty young at the time and another player comes up to me telling me he'd buy me crowns I'd just have to give him my login, and being as young and as I was gullible as I was I gave it to him and yes I was aware your not supposed to give your login away but I wasn't aware of the consequences so when the guy ended up stealing my account I was able to recover the account but without the cost of a 10 year mute! I'm gonna beat anyone to saying this but yes I'm very well aware of what I did was wrong and certainly wasnt the smartest idea. But I think a 10 year mute is a little to much for a first offense. Like at least a weeks muting to teach the player a lesson then maybe go on to a month or few months then a 10 year mute. But 10 years right away is a little to much especially when I'm level 108 and it hard when you can't communicate with other players when there's a decent amount of dungeons to do at my level, but I feel like there should be steps leading up to 10 years mute or a way to, I guess you could say earn time off your sentence. That would be nice to have in place, and I'm gonna say this again yes I'm aware of what I did is wrong and yeah it'd be nice to have Open Chat again. The point of this post is to hopefully get a change in how the muting system works

Survivor
Mar 15, 2014
The only time they mute for long is if someone says something extremely bad or like what you did, you gave him access to your account. A 10 year ban is completely fair for giving your account information out especially when its one of the main rules of wizard101. It doesn't matter how young you were, if the rules are clear then you should follow them.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
DetectiveQuack on Dec 28, 2016 wrote:
Back when Avalon was released I had completed the world and I decided to work on Grizzleheim so I could get into wintertusk to get the scarecrow pet (I was level 80 death at the time) and I was able to have Open Chat at the time, I was pretty young at the time and another player comes up to me telling me he'd buy me crowns I'd just have to give him my login, and being as young and as I was gullible as I was I gave it to him and yes I was aware your not supposed to give your login away but I wasn't aware of the consequences so when the guy ended up stealing my account I was able to recover the account but without the cost of a 10 year mute! I'm gonna beat anyone to saying this but yes I'm very well aware of what I did was wrong and certainly wasnt the smartest idea. But I think a 10 year mute is a little to much for a first offense. Like at least a weeks muting to teach the player a lesson then maybe go on to a month or few months then a 10 year mute. But 10 years right away is a little to much especially when I'm level 108 and it hard when you can't communicate with other players when there's a decent amount of dungeons to do at my level, but I feel like there should be steps leading up to 10 years mute or a way to, I guess you could say earn time off your sentence. That would be nice to have in place, and I'm gonna say this again yes I'm aware of what I did is wrong and yeah it'd be nice to have Open Chat again. The point of this post is to hopefully get a change in how the muting system works
I do agree that 10 years is a little much and perhaps if they could cut it down by a few years. Though, the main point was to teach you a lesson and the mute should honestly be for at least a few years. People need to learn their lesson and you learn it best the hard way.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone that has been able to get a 10 yr mute reversed. As much as the issue of sharing user and password has been noted, and the fact that for a long time, it was also stated on the login screen, it seems many still don't understand what will happen. Protecting your user info is one of the top priorities of this game. KI isn't going to change this particular aspect of the muting system. Sharing info can also get you banned.

The fact that your account was stolen is also another reason KI won't change the system. If they do it for one, they would have to do it for all and the next time a player gave out personal info, they may not be able to recover the account. After a while of having to do this, KI will start banning and in many cases, it would more than likely be permanent.

You might try contacting support, but I honestly wouldn't expect too much on this issue.

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
Good luck with this. Just getting your account back after what happened is pretty amazing. Permanent ban is the norm in cases like this. KI was pretty forgiving. Every time you logged in the warning about not sharing log in info or you will lose your wiz forever, was right there. If you can't take the mute, maybe the best answer is to start a new wiz. I know, a long time you had the wizard. Sometimes you just can't undo what you have done. My parents called it growing up and you have to pay the piper/price.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
hate to break it to you, but the 10-year ban is exactly what's on the tin.

from kingsisle themselves: "never share your password with anyone: you will lose your wizard forever."

age aside, you broke a cardinal rule of the terms of use, and the punishment fits the crime. (youthful) ignorance of the rules, or of others' intentions, does not excuse you from the consequences.

honestly, i'm happy with the muting/banning system as it is, and i hope ki leaves it alone.

generally, sanctions are tiered, depending on the severity of the offense. for example, if you curse in the commons, you'll likely start with a 24-hour mute for the first offense; but, if you slip up (as i did once, many years ago) and don't have a history, kingsisle will likely realize that it was a one-off and that you won't reoffend.

however, swearing (whether accidentally or around the filters) isn't the same as harassing other players or sharing account info. and, since you broke a cardinal rule, you got a punishment worthy of that offense.

-von

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Your best option is to create a new account.