Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Something Interesting Thoughts I had

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 22, 2011
So today, I watched the Kingsisle Office video, and I found it quite cute. But there's something I want to bring to light about Malistaire and Morganthe's situations. I'll start off with Malistaire.

Malistaire was characterized as a villain because of the road he was taking. He was getting into some hot water and was escalating the situation to the point where the Spiral at risk, causing us to intervene. But, the reason that he took this road was because of his wife. He loved her so, but his refusal to let her go caused him to die at our hands. (R.I.P. Malistaire, I hope you spend your afterlife with your loving wife.)

Now, let's turn to Morganthe here. The reason she was villanized, well, she felt like her teachers were going too slow for her, and she felt like she could handle more. So she dabbled in Astral magic to my knowledge, almost destroying Wizard City. She was expelled, her wand and deck taken from her, her morals shattered. She desperately searched for magic, as it was one of her dearest passions. Eventually, she did come back to Astral Magic, and then find Shadow Magic. She also rose to the point where we, the Wizards, had to stop her, before it was too late and everything was rewritten in a flash.

But Morganthe's problem definitely could have been handled differently. If she maybe just expressed her concerns about pacing in her studies, the outcome most likely would've been different and not have to fall into space. Malistaire's problems, however, are more difficult to work with, as it is the loss of a dearly loved one. I do not think that there is any way to change his, but I do agree with him to an extent on losing a loved one and what to do afterward.

With kind regards,
Destiny Hexvault, Life-112

Explorer
Jan 11, 2013
One of the interesting things I noticed about Morganthe is the further you go into the the arc, the more power hungry she gets. In Celestia through Avalon she begins to gain power. But we see in Azteca that this power is driving her insane, in situations like Neza the Poet (seriously, it was just cruel to have to fight her ghost) and Xibalba. And then we see her try to control shadow magic in Khrysalis, which eventually takes control of her and ultimately causes her demise.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2011
AlextheWizard53 on Dec 21, 2016 wrote:
One of the interesting things I noticed about Morganthe is the further you go into the the arc, the more power hungry she gets. In Celestia through Avalon she begins to gain power. But we see in Azteca that this power is driving her insane, in situations like Neza the Poet (seriously, it was just cruel to have to fight her ghost) and Xibalba. And then we see her try to control shadow magic in Khrysalis, which eventually takes control of her and ultimately causes her demise.
My point about working out a better outcome still stands when it comes to Morganthe. Actually, now that I think about it, we don't see much of her in Avalon until Ghost Avalon, and that's saying something because we still only get a little bit of and about her.

But anyway, it initially looked as though she had her own free will throughout her arc. And it still does, and I just can't see her as being driven insane by Shadow Magic. She made the choice of aiming to control it and paid the price. It was a cruel thing to do with Neza, yes, but I think she did that just to hit us in the feels (by Kingsisle at least). I didn't feel anything much about fighting his ghost except 'Oh this is going to be just great.'

And even then in Khrysalis, she seems like she chose to try and control it. To an extent, she did. After all, she managed to control the magic to transform herself, but when she needed to use it to kill us, either her excitement or stress of it all resulted her messing up the incantation. She even knew that she was too loud when she said the incantation for the Song of Creation, albeit too late. I do feel bad for her though because from the get-go this could've been resolved. She could've continued her studies with us! If only she'd talked, though. If only.

-Destiny Hexvault

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
It's almost scary how much Morganthe has become like a virtual representation of some players in the game. So many people have come to exhibit her characteristics. Power hungry, restless, impatient; and perhaps coincidentally it's slowly destroying the Spiral just like Morganthe tried to do.

In a philosophical sense, she's actually succeeding, even though it's not going according to her plan. We haven't destroyed Morganthe, we're just simply becoming her.

Power corrupts. The more you get, the more you want, and the less satisfied you become with what you already have.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2011
High Five Ghost on Dec 23, 2016 wrote:
It's almost scary how much Morganthe has become like a virtual representation of some players in the game. So many people have come to exhibit her characteristics. Power hungry, restless, impatient; and perhaps coincidentally it's slowly destroying the Spiral just like Morganthe tried to do.

In a philosophical sense, she's actually succeeding, even though it's not going according to her plan. We haven't destroyed Morganthe, we're just simply becoming her.

Power corrupts. The more you get, the more you want, and the less satisfied you become with what you already have.
Wow... brilliant thought right there... and that brings up a new point. What if she became what she is because of the power she had while testing Astral Magic, and then wanted to do it again, but the higher-ups didn't approve of it? She clearly had the ability, to even produce the power for Astral Magic (because apparently it's so powerful and unstable) in her younger years says something. Not only did they expel her, but they overlooked her true potential.

With your statement about her succeeding through us, I agree. The effects of her character linger through others, though we don't know where she is physically.

I still have hope (and fanfics) that she might be a good person someday :P

-Destiny Hexvault, Life Level 115

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I think you're missing part of it. Morganthe wanted to take shortcuts. She also never mastered Astral magic and held a grudge about that. She didn't heed warnings and let her greed and lust for power take over. Our wizards are not becoming her and the lesson we learn from her is that by following the right path and not taking shortcuts, you become more powerful and in control in the long run. That and you don't end up getting beaten up by a kid with half your experience in magic, turned into a giant spider and drift off into deep space.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
High Five Ghost on Dec 23, 2016 wrote:

"It's almost scary how much Morganthe has become like a virtual representation of some players in the game. So many people have come to exhibit her characteristics. Power hungry, restless, impatient; and perhaps coincidentally it's slowly destroying the Spiral just like Morganthe tried to do."

High Five, you always tend to bring across some brilliant points in the most unique of ways. I don't know how you do it, you must be quite an English Scholar.

But it would seem that Madam Morganthe has more subordinates than we thought.

But there's also some truth to what Seth said, our wizards are characterized by being it would seem ten - thirteen years old, give and take and to be giving Morganthe a run for her money like this is quite astonishing for just us young wizards.