Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical and Block Rating Decay in Mirage, Why?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Since there is no gear in Mirage to make up for it, why are our critical and block ratings decaying 10%+ as we level from 110 to 120? I really don't see how it makes sense in this situation. Can this decay please not happen until after there is gear available to us that will make up for it? I wish I didn't have to feel like I'll be leveling down as I quest through Mirage-- it is holding me back from trying out the new world, which is really a shame.

If you agree that this should be changed, please post! I hope that we can get KI to read this and to rethink this situation.

Side note to KingsIsle: Please pay attention to the Wizard101 Feedback section over on Wizard101 Central if you do not already. There are so many players who put a lot of time and effort into talking about legitimate issues with the game, and they really would like to be heard. Thank you so much!

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
XxZexionxX on Dec 2, 2016 wrote:
Since there is no gear in Mirage to make up for it, why are our critical and block ratings decaying 10%+ as we level from 110 to 120? I really don't see how it makes sense in this situation. Can this decay please not happen until after there is gear available to us that will make up for it? I wish I didn't have to feel like I'll be leveling down as I quest through Mirage-- it is holding me back from trying out the new world, which is really a shame.

If you agree that this should be changed, please post! I hope that we can get KI to read this and to rethink this situation.

Side note to KingsIsle: Please pay attention to the Wizard101 Feedback section over on Wizard101 Central if you do not already. There are so many players who put a lot of time and effort into talking about legitimate issues with the game, and they really would like to be heard. Thank you so much!
Critical and Block decay has been occurring ever since we were level 50, so it makes sense that it would continue now. If it didn't exist, then we could have 300 block and it would be considered 100%, which would leave no areas for improvement.

I do agree about the issue with there being no gear available to make up for the lost stats. The Grandfather Spider athames actually give less block than the Baba Yaga ones for whatever reason, so that's another loss right there. I also made a thread about there being no crafted gear in Mirage, but for whatever reason again, Kingsisle decided to continue the trend of the best gear in game being only gotten from farming Darkmoor over and over again.

Back in the second arc, if you didn't want to farm for your gear, you could just easily craft it, which gave people easy alternatives for what gear they wanted to use. However, this is nonexistent in the third arc, unfortunately.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010

My family has played since Beta, and we've seen many interesting changes in Wizard 101. This being said, we adjust and adapt as new content and changes come out. Someone thought decaying ratings brings value and benefit to players; so how can anyone complain about critical and block ratings decaying as we level!?!

Its not like any of us invested days, weeks, months or years playing through the game with the expectation that as we leveled, we'd gain access to better gear, equipment, and weapons; just so we could continue to raise our stats in order to face even greater challenges as we leveled and became really powerful wizards with amazing spells. And don't get me started with all that time anyone spent farming to obtain all those great, rare items that increases our stats even further; just so we could face even greater challenges.

Here's all changes bringing value and benefit to everyone who plays Wizard 101. However, if said changes negatively impact players and the game; then, they should be adjusted up or down accordingly.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
FusionSun on Dec 2, 2016 wrote:
Critical and Block decay has been occurring ever since we were level 50, so it makes sense that it would continue now. If it didn't exist, then we could have 300 block and it would be considered 100%, which would leave no areas for improvement.

I do agree about the issue with there being no gear available to make up for the lost stats. The Grandfather Spider athames actually give less block than the Baba Yaga ones for whatever reason, so that's another loss right there. I also made a thread about there being no crafted gear in Mirage, but for whatever reason again, Kingsisle decided to continue the trend of the best gear in game being only gotten from farming Darkmoor over and over again.

Back in the second arc, if you didn't want to farm for your gear, you could just easily craft it, which gave people easy alternatives for what gear they wanted to use. However, this is nonexistent in the third arc, unfortunately.
Okay but with all the critical and block decay we've had up to level 110, there was still plenty of room for improvement so I don't see how it is necessary for decay from level 110 to 120. If there was gear offered to us with better critical and block, then that is a completely different story and decay would probably be necessary. It's likely this gear will be offered to us in the future, but I don't want our stats to have to suffer between now and then, which could be a long time from now. As it stands right now, leveling up from 110 to 120 would actually be disadvantageous for PvP. That isn't how it should be!

Survivor
Oct 02, 2009
I definitely think we should get some gear that has higher critical and block ratings in mirage. I lost a total of about 6% of my critical leveling up to 120 and I farmed the last 4 bosses just to get some boots that have 3 more critical than the ones that I already have! Not to mention the Hat and robe actually have less critical than my current gear. Also what's with giving boss level gear that has no resist? Would like to live long enough to get to use the blades i'm putting up

Survivor
Aug 14, 2013
Just suck it up and deal with it I am a level 118 ice wizard with 19% critical and 50% block and I do just fine.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Luke ShadowHunter on Dec 5, 2016 wrote:
Just suck it up and deal with it I am a level 118 ice wizard with 19% critical and 50% block and I do just fine.
Its true, everyone will adjust and adapt to changes in game play and content in their own way. Some will like and love it, while others won't. Just doing fine having to play with reduced and lower stats is one way to approach Wizard 101; but not everyone feels, thinks, or believes this. Just suck it up and deal with this fact. And just because I can solo most of the content of Mirage; doesn't mean everyone can. My family has been playing Wizard 101 since Beta, and we only continue to meet players who invest their time to increase and max out their stats in order to successfully face even greater challenges in the game. And in all the time we've been playing, we've never met anyone who invested time to end up with watered down version of their wizards.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2013
I understand where your coming from and I have some friends who don't like the new crit and block but people have tried to get ki to redo the crit and block ever since polaris but it just ended up going down in mirage instead of increasing. Its hopeless ki won't bring it back. But I do believe that they should of had better gear to make up for the loss of crit/block. Who knows maybe eventually ki will better the crit/block.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015

I can see why, from a game design perspective, critical and block decay are built into the game. It's a convenient way to push players into replacing gear without exploding the power of wizards at the top end of the game.

As a player, though, this really hurts verisimilitude. (Big word there, I know.) What I mean by this is that our wizards, learning and growing in their power, saving and shaking the worlds of the spiral, are actually becoming objectively weaker as they advance. This is entirely counter to the coming-of-age narrative built into Wizard101!

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
My guess is that there will be another "Darkmoor" or "Aquila" or "Waterworks" before Empyrea, or whatever the 13th main world is. Otherwise, we'll have a 30-level gap matching the gap from Waterworks to Hades, except with no better crafted gear.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Luke ShadowHunter on Dec 5, 2016 wrote:
I look at what the 'average' player writes, then I look at what many 'try-hard' players write. Unfortunately, I'm sure you don't see the difference.

Let me explain it to you:

Average player = Writes a post asking legitimate questions. Also answers meaningfully, intelligently, respectfully, and maybe adds some insight/options (there are some try-hard players who fall into the category of 'niceness')

(many) Try-hard players = Tells people to 'suck it up'. Rude and condescending. Does not offer meaningful, intelligent, and most important - respectability to 'average' players who post.

See the difference?

When I see players like you who brag about how 'fine' they are doing in Mirage, I have to wonder: Are soloing? Playing with friends? How's your gear? Loaded up with the Darkmoor version? Perfect pet? Funny how this information is lacking when many try-hard players say how easy Mirage is, or say it's okay when their stats slowly decay as they level up but there isn't any gear replacement or boost that can be obtained.

Makes me wonder

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011

I agree. Honestly, it's ridiculous to have gear decay in the first place. KI has already taken away options for obtaining gear (other than horrendous farming). Plus, as we level our wizards, the gear itself degrades - and along with the 'natural' decay of crit and block, what do we have left? Nothing.

Years spent obtaining specific pieces of gear for specific stats gone to waste because the rules have changed. My wizards are at the peak of what they can get in the game, and frankly, it's not enough.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Anil235 on Dec 7, 2016 wrote:
My guess is that there will be another "Darkmoor" or "Aquila" or "Waterworks" before Empyrea, or whatever the 13th main world is. Otherwise, we'll have a 30-level gap matching the gap from Waterworks to Hades, except with no better crafted gear.
I also think it is likely that there will be another side area that gives good gear. But that isn't here yet, and who knows when it will be. In Mirage we currently are leveling up just to get weaker, as Liam said above, and this goes against common logic. I think we would all agree that leveling up can be defined as progressing to the next level of character stats and abilities. Yet we are seeing situations in this new update that contradict this logic, and it doesn't sit well with me.

We shouldn't have to feel hesitant to level up because it will actually disadvantage us. Why would receiving "experience" make us less experienced? I think the critical and block decay is necessary to an extent, but that's because KI generally introduces ways to get higher critical and block ratings, so that makes it all work out. But that isn't happening yet, so the decay shouldn't be happening yet either.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2013
BrynnerOfReign on Dec 8, 2016 wrote:
I look at what the 'average' player writes, then I look at what many 'try-hard' players write. Unfortunately, I'm sure you don't see the difference.

Average player = Writes a post asking legitimate questions. Also answers meaningfully, intelligently, respectfully, and maybe adds some insight/options (there are some try-hard players who fall into the category of 'niceness')

(many) Try-hard players = Tells people to 'suck it up'. Rude and condescending. Does not offer meaningful, intelligent, and most important - respectability to 'average' players who post.

See the difference?

When I see players like you who brag about how 'fine' they are doing in Mirage, I have to wonder: Are soloing? Playing with friends? How's your gear? Loaded up with the Darkmoor version? Perfect pet? Funny how this information is lacking when many try-hard players say how easy Mirage is, or say it's okay when their stats slowly decay as they level up but there isn't any gear replacement or boost that can be obtained.

Makes me wonder
Don't get me wrong mirage is really tough and my gear isn't that great either. My pet i used during the beginning of mirage wasn't that great either but just get a friend or someone to quest with you makes things easier and don't have to stress yourself and complain when you can't solo something. Even though its still hard with a group At least its easier.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009

See the difference?

Makes me wonder
What I find interesting about your post (and many others like it) is that you decry those for the lack of respect given to average players that post, then in the same post call players try hards repeatedly. You want respect, but you do not offer it.

Something else you should know, when you use the term try hard to put someone else down it is actually you that's the try hard. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010

See the difference?

Makes me wonder
Well Said!

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
This whole nerfing of our stats with the increasing scarcity of decent gear to begin with (eg. no crafting) as well as the awful RNG in farming is why I am now a casual player. I certainly didn't start out that way, but I am not a gambler, and my time is too valuable to slog thru these dungeons over and over again to get junk. I hate the tedious struggle of constant disappointment . No, I do not want things handed to me. I work very hard on the other games I play. I do want to be suitably and timely rewarded for my efforts tho, otherwise why should I exert myself?

If the things I worked hard to get (gear, pets etc) are nerfed I feel betrayed. Why should I continue to throw good effort after bad? Too much bad RNG and most everything relying on luck is the reason I am done with trying. Nerfing on top of that is just icing on the cake of despair.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2013
FusionSun on Dec 2, 2016 wrote:

It has been occuring since level 50, however there was only 1% decay per 10 levels prior to Polaris. That's too low for how critical works now, but losing 10% critical and 15% block from 110 to 120? That's just ridiculous IMO.

This has been my main gripe with critical since Polaris. I enjoy the way critical works now but I just don't understand why we have to be punished so hard for leveling up. They've made it necessary for there to be better gear every 10 levels, but we don't have that. Nothing better dropped, nothing better (or at all) crafted.

We honestly need a complete overhaul of how critical is calculated.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
GroverTTC on Dec 10, 2016 wrote:
It has been occuring since level 50, however there was only 1% decay per 10 levels prior to Polaris. That's too low for how critical works now, but losing 10% critical and 15% block from 110 to 120? That's just ridiculous IMO.

This has been my main gripe with critical since Polaris. I enjoy the way critical works now but I just don't understand why we have to be punished so hard for leveling up. They've made it necessary for there to be better gear every 10 levels, but we don't have that. Nothing better dropped, nothing better (or at all) crafted.

I honestly don't understand why we are being punished either, which is why I wish KI could at least explain why they are having us lose so much crit and block. Maybe the critical and block we are losing doesn't seem like a lot, but it really is. That extra 10-15% goes a long way, especially in PvP but even for those of us who don't PvP. We all know block can be life-saving in difficult battles, and having a high critical rating can make farming so much easier. I'd really like to at least hear some feedback from them about this.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
GroverTTC on Dec 10, 2016 wrote:

yes, i agree that the critical/block systems desperately need to be overhauled.

after the nerf (because, let's face it, that's what it was), my stats have been cut in half; i am level 116 with 29% crit and 47% block~ before polaris, i had 63 % crit and 72% block, which is reasonable for a wizard at our level because it's what's needed to survive.

and, as i have said from the beginning, those of us who can't or don't want to farm endlessly should have a viable option for gear. if darkmoor gear has no crafted/dropped/purchased alternative, the instance is not optional.

-von

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I agree. Honestly, it's ridiculous to have gear decay in the first place. KI has already taken away options for obtaining gear (other than horrendous farming). Plus, as we level our wizards, the gear itself degrades - and along with the 'natural' decay of crit and block, what do we have left? Nothing.

Years spent obtaining specific pieces of gear for specific stats gone to waste because the rules have changed. My wizards are at the peak of what they can get in the game, and frankly, it's not enough.
This is just why I have chosen to not farm for gear. Although I am no longer able to craft gear on my main life, I refuse to waste the amount of time that I have seen others spend farming for DM Gear. Even WW gear is next to impossible to get now and my wizards that are up for that dungeon will do it just to get if off their logs.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009

Yep, I agree. I think this is one of the reasons that a lot of casuals don't farm. Besides the lack of time, many find those dungeons long and tedious because they are designed for the hardcore players. KI actually said that about Darkmoor. Now top that off with the bad RNG and it makes it nearly impossible for the average player to gear up properly to face new challenges.

Now, after all the farming, they decay our crit and block. I can understand that there is natural decay in gear. Many games have this in one form or another. But my block went from 82% at level 110, down to 64% at level 120. I think that's a bit excessive, especially when there is no new gear to compensate. If the new gear will be held hostage in a Darkmoor ver.2 type dungeon, then that means a lot of players will not get it and they will be going into the next world even further behind. We need more options for obtaining decent gear (crafting?) to keep up with the decay. No one should be weaker at level 120 than they were at 110.

Survivor
Nov 09, 2011
Hey! I don't like my gear decaying! Period! No matter what level I'm at! I'm here to Win! Not Decay!

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I would put money on getting a new dungeon this spring where the upgraded gear will drop. The whining can then commence on how hard/how long it takes.

Not sure why there is no new crafted, perhaps if they add that too, most will be appeased.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012

See the difference?

Makes me wonder
Judgemental players like you are ruining the game. I have had it with being labeled "hardcore" or the even more condescending "try hard" because I am willing to put effort into strategy and friend making. My pets and gear have all come about because I made friends in Team Up or in questing in crowded realms. Teaming up with strangers for Darkmoor,crazy idea, I know. Yet, players like me do it all the time.Players that insist on questing only alone or only with a few select friends in quiet realms, then find the game hard, then tell me I am stuck up for succeeding. smh. No, I am willing to make friends and take a risk on strangers. Teamwork is Key in Darkmoor and above. Sometimes, team finding goes horribly and you waste some time, but that is part of the game. Really. I have just about had it. I already ended my membership, and I doubt the self described "casual" players will be taking up the slack and helping the newer players like my friends and I do. There are a few truly hardcore posters here, that loudly want the dumbed down spiral all to their elitist, game soloing, selves. They are the ones who will be mad if a stranger joins their battle. They will never lower themselves to ask a stranger for a hatch. You will never see them in Ambrose or in team up, but you will hear them whine about how its tooooo hard until the end of the spiral. Stick whatever labels you want on me, I speak the truth.
Amber