Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Updating Wizard101 name policy

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 26, 2016
I feel a little turned off making a wizard name for my wizard due to the fact that its mostly very common American biblical names. I feel very culturally restricted in my name options. I would like more freedom in names for my first name.
Rules for custom first names:
No profranity words
No spaces
Only letters

- people can report others for their first name for profanity ... penalty can be kingsisle deleting that wizard in your account and profanity offense

I wonder if this will be possible in a future update or mini update ty :)

2.) graphic option for updating character graphics and more customization on wizard101 characters (optional checkbox option that people can check or uncheck depending on computer requirements)
3.) no gender lock colors for wizards ... (pink reskin is replaced by brown for guys)
-- very far in the future
4.) (higher graphical options for spells) update spell graphics

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
No support; checking for profanity would take a huge amount of manual vetting, and many first names are rare enough to alone be PII.

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
Most of them are not biblical names. Mostly common names in America, yes, but biblical, no.

I would like to see more name variety too, though. Not just with wizards, but with the pet names too. But I also understand they have names limited to keep people from being offensive. Even with filters, people find work arounds. I don't remember what game it was, but there was one I played a long time ago that had you select from a list and then gave you the option to submit a custom name for approval. While submitting names for approval would work, it would require more work for KI, which they may not be open to.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Rattle2k on Nov 28, 2016 wrote:
I feel a little turned off making a wizard name for my wizard due to the fact that its mostly very common American biblical names. I feel very culturally restricted in my name options. I would like more freedom in names for my first name.
Rules for custom first names:
No profranity words
No spaces
Only letters

- people can report others for their first name for profanity ... penalty can be kingsisle deleting that wizard in your account and profanity offense

I wonder if this will be possible in a future update or mini update ty :)

2.) graphic option for updating character graphics and more customization on wizard101 characters (optional checkbox option that people can check or uncheck depending on computer requirements)
3.) no gender lock colors for wizards ... (pink reskin is replaced by brown for guys)
-- very far in the future
4.) (higher graphical options for spells) update spell graphics
I definitely agree with you for the need of newer names. I just think that they should update the name list with more names.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
For some reason, posts like this have made a rather large resurgence recently, and I'm all for more name options. However, I think a custom name option could be rather difficult to add in, could cause problems such as false reporting a name or some people not reporting a name due to not knowing it could be offensive etc. (not too important, but it could happen), and would probably end up requiring a Crowns fee: which many would view as a bad response to the demand for more names and inadvertently cause a loss of players rather than a gain.

I think KI should add more names, like a lot, at least the top 100/200 US names, or the top 10 names of every country that has data for it, just more names. Maybe add the names of every person at KI as options (if not already implemented). They could certainly do with more culturally diverse options, for instance, more names of Arabic/Eastern/African origin.

As for your other ideas, graphics has been a concern of players for a while, and the lack of change makes me think a small team is working on it, or it's been forgotten/ignored/isn't happening. And the pink/brown controversy was a programming issue (I think), but surely it wouldn't be too much to add into the game these days. Even if unlikely, I definitely want an increase in early graphics, and in colour palettes, and in name options.

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
I would like more options for names, but I do agree custom names wouldnt be implemented by Ki for fear of offensive names or copyright issues. I would like names added like Hope,and Charity, as well as more ethnic based names to reflect the diversity of players.I know Wiz is based in the US but even so there is a vast array of ethnic groups which reside there and they should at least have some representation.

I would slso like to have by boy wizzies sport a pink hairstyle or gold outfit :(.We can only hope Ki comes around. Just as a FYI pink was originally the colour given to boys and blue for girls.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
just pull all the names from pirates to wizards.... done.... there's at least 50 orr so names not in wiz