Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Old w101 days

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
I remember when the max level cap for w101 was level 50 and that their was no such thing as celestia and so on

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Yep!

And when crafting and gardening were none existent!

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Explorer
Jul 18, 2014
Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
I remember when all the grandmasters had those fancy, shiny swords and they were just the coolest thing. They would hang out in the commons and offer help to random wizards. I also remember the parties in the school towers. Those were so much fun. People were more chill then but so was the game. I really miss those days.

Survivor
May 11, 2012
I remember before Darkmoor and PVP came out, and I also remember through a friend when the spiral ended at Avalon. I can also remember the critical and block coming out. Whilst I know that PVP is loved by quite a few, it's made me wonder how KI got along before them. Now it seems that the critical and block rate is totally ruined, especially those that quest alone. Why should those that quest only be penalised for critical and block because of some I have spoken to that PVP, that they were getting hammered. Well, what is the idea of the game? It's to get out there and try ya hardest to get through, and if you get hammered, it's like a bucking horse, you get straight back on. I've learnt over the time, that you just can't give up because you can get your own way. it's like life in general, if things go wrong, you try you damnest to get things right. Do you get to Champion Crafter by PVP alone? Do you get to Prodigious by PVP alone? NO!!!! You get there by doing your quests. PVP isn't and shouldn't be the be and end all. If that is the case then you're defeating the purpose of the game. I would love to see PVP have it's own game and call it Tournaments 101. That way those that PVP don't have the worry about their critical and block, and those that quest only, can have theirs restored back pre-Polaris. I love the game, but since Polaris, I've noticed the block and critical rate has bottomed out. This needs to be restored sooner rather than later, or you will see a load leave.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Ah, the good old days....

As the final world, Dragonspyre was brutal - a series of endless gauntlets and for half of them you had no idea it was going to be a gauntlet until you got inside. There were no hired henchmen to help you through a battle going wrong. Also, there were no mounts - all that running back and forth through the streets of Dragonspyre took FOREVER. At the end you HAD to have a minimum of two people to face Malestaire because two separate battles had to be defeated within seconds of each other in order to open the final door to his lair.

In Marleybone the sidewalks went down the middle (instead of the sides) and the mobs yanked you into battle left and right. And in all those fights, the drops were always garbage. Literally. Empty tin cans and crushed milk cartons, that's what you got. Getting out of Marleybone required completing the two counterweight dungeons before you got to Big Ben - 15 levels each, I think they were. Then Big Ben itself was 20 levels! (They've nerfed the counterweights way down since 2010, thank goodness.) Oh, and did I mention...? No henchmen! Also, no dungeon recall - if you got killed you had to try to get back on the sigil alone and then hoof it all the way back up to keep going. (If someone got on the sigil with you, all your progress would be destroyed and you'd have to start over.)

Crafting at the very beginning required FIVE of each item, not two. Getting enough scrap iron was really a pain, and as for getting 75 diamonds....? Nightmare. Seriously. I mean, people are still complaining about having to get 30, LOL!

How hard it used to be does put things into perspective, though. Thanks to this walk down memory lane I'm feeling a little better about end Polaris and Mirage being so difficult.

Alia Misthaven

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
when i joined, celestia was brand new; level cap was 60 (i think); there was no waterworks or elite gear, pets were for show only, and you couldn't solo malistaire.

the first time i fought mally, i was on my balance wizard and went through the instance with a friend i made in mooshu (the first real in-game friend i had) and one of her friends. we were 2 balance and fire, so it took a while, but it got done.

the game was so much more fun then. it was a nice way to relax, after a hard day at the office; just enough so that it was stimulating, but not so difficult that it felt like work.

-von

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
I joined right as celestia came out, I always hearted people talking about but I had no idea what it was. I didn't really know what YouTube was then surprisingly. But I made a friend who happened to go to celestia, I ported to him and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I went to the survey camp and tried to fight those crabs, instantly getting slaughtered. But I remember the battle theme being the coolest thing I ever heard. When I fianally got there about a year later i was so hyped. Then Zafaira came along and completely killed the mood

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Squire
Oct 29, 2011
I remember when all those pet talents came out, weird to think now that a lot of the game is rotated around pets.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Black Pearl on Nov 29, 2016 wrote:
I remember when all the grandmasters had those fancy, shiny swords and they were just the coolest thing. They would hang out in the commons and offer help to random wizards. I also remember the parties in the school towers. Those were so much fun. People were more chill then but so was the game. I really miss those days.
Nostalgia man!

I was one of those party host and helpful grandmasters!

Ahh, Good Times..

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
Honestly, I think the days when Dragonspyre was the last world were the best of all. No critical, no block, and no advanced pets. Things were so challenging and you felt rewarded after completing hard dungeons. Especially with Malistaire gear, one thing that was emphasized that I've always found interesting was the emphasis on resist to your own school. This made selecting gear for pvp more strategic.

My favorite thing to do was camp out at the Bazaar and keep refreshing the pets tab to try and find rare pets or pets with great item cards. Hanging out with friends at Elik's edge, farming for school insignia gear, and feeling so powerful when you finally got that Grandmaster title... all great experiences.

Honestly, I think having a separate server (for members only) that "reverted" the game back to the lvl 50 cap would be a great idea to bring old players back who only enjoyed the "raw" game back then. I'd definitely back this.

CH

Defender
Feb 08, 2009
When everyone hung out at the Plaza of Conquests and farmed those bosses o; (memories)

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
How many remember the Ravens in Grizzleheim ? Man oh man, those were the days of farming those guys for the awesome drops they had, but it did take 4 level 50s to do it. We did it as a family back in the day and it would take over an hour to knock them all out ! Now adays you can almost do it by yourself with all the new add ons we have and the drops dont pay near what they used to at the resell spots.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2014
when schools acted like their schools

life(healing)
storm(damage)
ice(resist)
death(sustain)
Myth(getting around shields/stuns)
Balance(support/blades/pretty much all of the above)
Fire(DoT)

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
kypspikes0115 on Dec 14, 2016 wrote:
when schools acted like their schools

life(healing)
storm(damage)
ice(resist)
death(sustain)
Myth(getting around shields/stuns)
Balance(support/blades/pretty much all of the above)
Fire(DoT)
No matter what school and no matter what year, the schools never stayed in their range of spell specialization.