Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How to create strong passwords

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 14, 2015
Let's face it: We're not all great at creating powerful passwords that keep our accounts safe. Some people seem to believe that a simple 3-5 letter word is good enough to protect your account. Nowadays, accounts such as these are supremely easy to crack.

There are several ways to create a strong, functional password that guarantees to stand strong, no matter what gets thrown at it. And now, I feel the need to go over them.

1. Uppercase letters and symbols

This is a no-brainer. Throwing in uppercase letters and symbols creates an extra obstical one must overcome in order to crack your password; An obstical many of these so-called "Hackers" of today do not possess the intelligence to overcome. That alone can often be enough.

2. Phrases

Instead of using a word for a password, try a phrase of some kind. Think of a 2 or 3 word long phrase that really sticks out to you, and put it all into one word. Maybe you might rearrange the words and toss in some numbers, capital letters and symbols. This is a good idea, as long as you can remember your password later ( TIP: Write it down! ).

3. Key sequences.

This is the "Big Daddy" of powerful, often superhuman passwords, and my personal favorite. The reason? This password is not composed of a full word, or even a phrase! Instead, it's a very well-thought out, and carefully constructed sequence of keys on the keyboard. And there are multiple ways to do this. My personal favorite is something I like to call "Tetris Style".

You may try typing out a few sequences of keys in the pattern of Tetris blocks. For example: An "L" shape on one part of your keyboard, a "T" shape somewhere else, throwing in capital letters, numbers and symbols if you so desire. Just remember to type them all in a sequence that you can remember! Though this password is indeed powerful, it can also be easy to forget until you memorize the pattern. Remember that with the letters alone, you have 26 keys to work with. That's a lot of patterns you can create! Throw in capital letters, symbols and number sequences wherever you see fit, and the number of sequences and patterns you can put together can reach the TRILLIONS!

Again, I repeat: This password focuses very heavily on memorizing your pattern and sequences and typing them in the correct order. If you have a particularly bad memory, or suffer from "Short-Term Memory Loss", which I assume would be most of you, it might be a good idea to write down this password and keep it secure somewhere until you've fully memorized your sequences ( a subject I often struggle with ). But because no 2 patterns or sequences are truly the same, this kind of password is almost IMPOSSIBLE to crack via conventional means. So if you want the best, go for this kind of password.

These are just a few of the different kinds of passwords that exist. But I'm willing to bet there are more that I didn't cover here. So, now I ask: What are they? Can you think of a stronger kind of password? Discuss.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Persons should take this seriously as getting your personal affairs hijacked by often times unknown assailants isn't a really pleasing experience.

Great Tips!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I think a strong password is a mixture of letters, symbols and numbers 10-12+ paces long.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Here are some more tips:

You should change/update your password every so often.

You should not use the same password for multiple accounts or other websites.

You should not connect to "open" or "free wifi" (like the airport or in a store) as your information can be stolen over unprotected Wifi connections.

Please also see the Headmaster's Announcement Section of the Message Boards for more helpful tips (specifically some of Headmaster Ambrose's posts.)

Be safe and internet smart my fellow Wizards!