Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Customizing Minions!

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Someone on my friends list in the game just told me KI recently improved the water elemental minion by increasing the chance to heal and shield your wizard. I tested the minion in various of battles to see how much it improved. it's still pretty useless at times and taunt doesn't always work but it's better than before. I guess there were numerous complaints on the minion before it was updated.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Patrick Ravenbane on Nov 3, 2016 wrote:
Someone on my friends list in the game just told me KI recently improved the water elemental minion by increasing the chance to heal and shield your wizard. I tested the minion in various of battles to see how much it improved. it's still pretty useless at times and taunt doesn't always work but it's better than before. I guess there were numerous complaints on the minion before it was updated.
Thank you. I will try it again this week. I hope they will improve it more. And I really appreciate your posts btw.

Some had said that 'taunt' makes the enemies attack the minion.

One of my wizards had a death minion treasure card. So I used that for them. The skeletal warrior minion cast taunt twice. Both times the enemy attacked my wizard, for the next two rounds.

In my experience taunt does nothing at all. In fact the minions who mostly focus on themselves and/or 'taunt' seem to be ignored by enemies, as Patrick has attested.
I speak from my experiences and with my own opinion and opinions can be subjective, I realize and experiences can differ, I realize. But those are mine. :)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
You're welcome! I agree, The Myth minion is awesome in battle. I also use it to replace the storm, "summon water element". Plus minions that taunts doesn't always work.
I gave the storm wizard some good pets, but so far I like the nightmare which can cast 'meteors' so much that I keep using that. I think one pet can cast a death minion and one can cast a balance minion.

So far I too like the Myth minion best - it does an awesome job and to me that is how all the minions should be :) And the Ice minion isn't too bad and the Life minion at least will heal a lot. :)

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Nov 4, 2016 wrote:
Thank you. I will try it again this week. I hope they will improve it more. And I really appreciate your posts btw.

One of my wizards had a death minion treasure card. So I used that for them. The skeletal warrior minion cast taunt twice. Both times the enemy attacked my wizard, for the next two rounds.

In my experience taunt does nothing at all. In fact the minions who mostly focus on themselves and/or 'taunt' seem to be ignored by enemies, as Patrick has attested.
I speak from my experiences and with my own opinion and opinions can be subjective, I realize and experiences can differ, I realize. But those are mine. :)
Your welcome. I don't know what level you are but pick a weak battle or boss to test your minion and sit there in battle as long as you can up to, say, 10 rounds or so to give it a good chance to see what it does at the same time don't get defeated. Originally the water elemental did affectedly taunt, heal and shield the wizard even attacked but it was too strong at the time before it was nerfed. While the game was being updated as time went by, the minion became almost useless to many player's expectations. So now it back to almost where it was. I too speak from experience and what I heard from those I battle with.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
SparkleTude on Nov 1, 2016 wrote:
In my opinion it's useless. In my opinion it should heal me, not itself, especially not if it's already 100 percent healthy with no damage. In my opinion, it should shield me as well as itself and much more often than itself, since I can cast another minion but the minion cannot cast another me. In my opinion, taunt does nothing; the enemies still attack my wizard. In my opinion the storm minion is a waste of pips to cast.
I'm with you SparkleTude!
I want a healing minion that keeps my team healthy, and ONLY casts healing and beneficial spells on teammates; this is why I've hired them. Most individuals understand and want this.

For those that don't...
...I want their healing minions they've summoned to only be able to heal who and what they fight; just to see the look on their face (wait, they're not suppose to do that, how come they're not healing me and my teammates!?!).

Sure, I'm sad when the minion gets killed, but its easier and faster to replace a minion over a teammate who has to flee and travel back; missing one or more rounds of battle.

What I love about being able to customize your minion is you can set up only having them use specific spells, while eliminating the ones you don't. And here's the best part, those folks who are against this, can stick to using traditional minions; because its their choice, and no one shall think less of them for doing this!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Tylerwildpants on Nov 5, 2016 wrote:
I'm with you SparkleTude!
I want a healing minion that keeps my team healthy, and ONLY casts healing and beneficial spells on teammates; this is why I've hired them. Most individuals understand and want this.

For those that don't...
...I want their healing minions they've summoned to only be able to heal who and what they fight; just to see the look on their face (wait, they're not suppose to do that, how come they're not healing me and my teammates!?!).

Sure, I'm sad when the minion gets killed, but its easier and faster to replace a minion over a teammate who has to flee and travel back; missing one or more rounds of battle.

What I love about being able to customize your minion is you can set up only having them use specific spells, while eliminating the ones you don't. And here's the best part, those folks who are against this, can stick to using traditional minions; because its their choice, and no one shall think less of them for doing this!
I agree with your post. I too want a minion with a healing ability and the stronger ones gets something like unicorn. I also agree, for those who don't want this thinking it's op can choice not to cast it and give me their minion spell. Or if their minion doesn't heal me when i need it, I'll cast "Sacrifice Minion" for an exchange of health added to my incoming bonus. Then I'll cast my minion. lol. 110, 53, 110, 83, 64, 110, 110

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I'm glad it works for you but is doesn't work for me and many others who said it's useless. I never said I speak for everyone. I said "I speak on others behalf from what they told me meaning I'm support their words and it's my right. The word "others behalf " does not mean "everyone". Yes I do understand how the spell works. For me being a storm I used it several time and gave it a good chance so how can you say different. Yes, I do understand what I'm talking about. Your opinion was noted for rudeness towards me. Again, please read my posts more careful before you say something about me. I don't need to be pick on by you. Please stop!
I'm sorry if you thought my reply was rude. It was in answer to your statement that "People who say different don't know what they are talking about." I am not picking on you. Maybe you should read your posts more carefully before you jump on others for replying to them.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
SparkleTude on Nov 4, 2016 wrote:

Taunt increases the threat level of the minion, making it more likely they will attack it. This only works if you haven't attacked. If you have attacked your threat level will still be higher depending on the damage done. Creatures attack the person or minion with the highest threat level. I just tested this again with 10 battles against a WC boss (the Banshee in Firecat Alley). First round I cast Water Elemental every time. They attacked me of course. The first 2 rounds the minion healed and shielded me or itself (roughly split 60 me /40 him). Then he cast Taunt and every single time they both attacked the minion the following round. For Taunt to work it really needs to be used early in battle before players have already raised their own threat level by attacking.

I think there is a misunderstanding about how threat level works. If I attack and do 1000 damage I've raised my threat level and creatures will all start targeting me instead of the other players in my party. They will keep targeting me until someone else has done more damage than me or has taunted them enough to surpass my threat level. It's not an automatic thing. That's why there is Mega Taunt also. Taunt only raises the threat a little bit. Try it out yourself, cast a Water Elemental and just blade, trap, shield until the minion taunts. You will see they will switch targeting to him the next round after the taunt.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Thank you for your experiences and thoughts seethe and I'm glad you enjoy the storm minion.

For me and the way I prefer to battle, I don't want to wait and watch what the minion does. I want it to follow my lead. I want it to fight the way I like to fight.

If I don't have a ton of traps and shields and things available, which aren't really my preference to use anyway, then I don't want to wait while the minion says "hey enemies over here" and taunts them. I want to hit the enemies. I want the minion to bolster and help me to do so. To keep my wizard alive if necessary.
For me the Myth and Ice and Life minions do a good job with that. They still get hit by the enemy without using Taunt. They get hit by the enemy because they themselves are hitting the enemy. I'd much rather they do that, and reduce battle time and make the battle much more exciting. To me "Taunt" is a form of "neener neener" and it was funny the first few times but for me, the thrill of Taunt is gone. ;)

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
SparkleTude on Nov 8, 2016 wrote:
Thank you for your experiences and thoughts seethe and I'm glad you enjoy the storm minion.

For me and the way I prefer to battle, I don't want to wait and watch what the minion does. I want it to follow my lead. I want it to fight the way I like to fight.

If I don't have a ton of traps and shields and things available, which aren't really my preference to use anyway, then I don't want to wait while the minion says "hey enemies over here" and taunts them. I want to hit the enemies. I want the minion to bolster and help me to do so. To keep my wizard alive if necessary.
For me the Myth and Ice and Life minions do a good job with that. They still get hit by the enemy without using Taunt. They get hit by the enemy because they themselves are hitting the enemy. I'd much rather they do that, and reduce battle time and make the battle much more exciting. To me "Taunt" is a form of "neener neener" and it was funny the first few times but for me, the thrill of Taunt is gone. ;)
I don't personally enjoy using minions. I'm only saying the storm minion doesn't do what others have said. It healed me and/or shielded me in almost every test and in every case their taunt did draw fire. As for other minions that attack, I personally find them more of a waste because they just waste traps with worthless hits. All I'm saying is that the Water minion does it's low level job. It shields, heals and draws fire while the wizard builds pips for a big hit. I understand that some players think spamming attacks is the way to go. Others prefer to build up a OHKO and that is what it supports.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Nov 8, 2016 wrote:

Agreed. I too want a minion to fight and heal me. I want to do battles the way I want at the same time my minion stays alive long enough for me to survive even when it shields itself when taunt does work. I don't think any minion outside the Crown Shop can do so that I know of. I cast Water Elemental Minion in several battles and wow, did it improved in the past year. The taunt works better and it heals and shields me but still not all the time. Thank you KI for improving the Water Elemental Minion.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
I have been a long time player I stated in November of your first year on my first account. I have been a long time Player of Everyone's least Favorite Class of magic Myth. To date I have 4 Conjurers and I love them all as well as the game, but one of the things that helps a great deal with myth and the other classes when you are on your own in the low levels are Minions. Minions play Key roll of the Early game Play styles of all the classes

But non more so than the Conjurer's. With this in mind I would Love to bring them back into the Strategy in the late game play as well specially for those people with irregular play times which makes it hard to play with friends, and even team-ups at times. With this issue in mind while playing with one of my Conjurers I had a sudden Thought "Epiphany" if you will what if the Minions were thought of more as an extension of the wizard who casted it.
What if The wizard Say A level 70 myth Conjurer casted a *Golem Minion* and instead of the minion having A Fixed 45 hit points of health it had a ratio and Got something similar to 1/16th of the 2900 health he possesses allowing the minion to survive slightly better and then also live to do little more damage and at 181 health its still with in the one hit range that the minion is with in through out its entire use in low level play. Now I have focused on Health but what if it on very reserved ratios based on the school of the minion drew on other stats such as Mana, Power pip, Resistance, Accuracy, damage, Heal in/out, maybe even critical, and block. If you were to implement these changes it would bring back minions in a big way which would Open Back up old low level strategies it would bring back in the minion utility spells from Krokotopia, MarelyBone and add Value to *Dimension Shift*.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
Chris Legend on Oct 9, 2016 wrote:
Minions has always been the most underused part of this game (Am talking about the minion spells that users get). Aside from the 0 Pip minion that Myth get, all other minions are almost not worth using since they don't always fall into the plan of what you need them to do almost all the time.

All schools have minions, but none of them are quite useful. The ones that can sometimes be useful are NO PVP.

I propose a new idea to help all wizards make their minion feel like their actual minion/companion.

For Minions spells that wizards have (The actual spell, not TCs), player's should be able to customize the minions deck.

Now minions don't have an actual deck, but having players be able to check on/off the spells that the minion will be able to use (From the list of what they already have) will make them much more useful.

Example:
I am Myth, and Golem Minion Spell (the real one)
The Golem Minion has all level 1 School Spells in it's deck.

Then I should be able to select/de-select the spells that the Golem Minion will have the next time I summon him.
What if instead of Just Selecting or Deselecting spells you were also given the Option to Control what they cast in a more Puppet like way.

Such as if you cast the Golem Minion spell then the next turn under your own set of cards you had your minions Hand as well and could cast as the minion as well if you choose to cast for the Minion Pass then rather than the Draw Button there is Auto cast which sets it back to the normal AI.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Chris Legend on Oct 9, 2016 wrote:
Minions has always been the most underused part of this game (Am talking about the minion spells that users get). Aside from the 0 Pip minion that Myth get, all other minions are almost not worth using since they don't always fall into the plan of what you need them to do almost all the time.

All schools have minions, but none of them are quite useful. The ones that can sometimes be useful are NO PVP.

I propose a new idea to help all wizards make their minion feel like their actual minion/companion.

For Minions spells that wizards have (The actual spell, not TCs), player's should be able to customize the minions deck.

Now minions don't have an actual deck, but having players be able to check on/off the spells that the minion will be able to use (From the list of what they already have) will make them much more useful.

Example:
I am Myth, and Golem Minion Spell (the real one)
The Golem Minion has all level 1 School Spells in it's deck.

Then I should be able to select/de-select the spells that the Golem Minion will have the next time I summon him.
There's some potential here.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
Fable Finder on Oct 28, 2016 wrote:
These are all good ideas! However, if you got the ability to choose who your minion targeted, that wouldn't exactly solve the ruining traps problem. What if all the enemies have traps?
I think that they added the abilty to turn by turn control the minion like giving you a slightly smaller hand of cards above or below yours with the option to leave them in auto it would be like the Battle afk mechanic but in reverse it would be auto set to auto cast on summon then you could click an option to bring up their hand then you could puppeteer them from there on like a second but weaker wizards.