Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rampaging Problem

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
There aren't many times where I call a nerf or draw attention to a spell (except for Fire Beetle and Shadow Enhanced Spells), but this time there's a spell that isn't even trying to hide that it's overpowered. If the title didn't give any hints; that spell is Burning Rampage.

Burning Rampage does an immense amount of damage for 5 pips and can be attained at any level. Recently, Fire has had a total domination in low to mid levels and takes over Legendary PvP with ease simply because of the shear power of the spell. In fact, it does 154 damage per pip and is impossible to counter from second unless you're looking through a crystal ball and timing your Triage TC's right at every moment.

For proof on the spell being overpowered, let's compare it to other 5 pip crafted spells:
Samoorai: 100 average dpp. 54 less than Burning Rampage.
Goat Monk: 94 average dpp. 60 less than Burning Rampage.
Hephaestus: 90 average dpp + Wyldfire. 64 less than Burning Rampage.
Athena Battle Sight: 104 dpp + 35% Tower Shield. 50 less than Burning Rampage.
Catalan: 135 dpp + 25% Black Mantle. Also from the highest damaging school in the game. 19 less than Burning Rampage.
Savage Paw: 100 dpp + Balanceblade. 54 less than Burning Rampage.

To show that the spell is completely out of its own school's league, let's compare it to other Fire spells:
Phoenix: 111 average dpp. 43 dpp below Burning Rampage.
Helephant: 110 average dpp. 44 dpp below Burning Rampage. Higher pip spells are supposed to have more dpp than lower pip spells.
Efreet: 111 average dpp + enhanced Weakness (90%). 43 dpp below Burning Rampage while being a higher pip spell. A Weakness does not justify a 43 dpp different.
Sun Serpent: 111 dpp while having 300 damage target all enemies. Being an AoE does not justify having 43 dpp less than Burning Rampage, especially since it has a significantly higher pip cost.
Krampus: 81 dpp + Black Mantle effect. 73 dpp less than Burning Rampage.
Brimstone Revenant: 117 dpp + Fire Trap effect. 44 dpp less than Burning Rampage.

You can already see that compared to other spells, Burning Rampage is doing a significantly larger amount of damage per pip despite other spells being higher level, therefore deserving higher dpp. Fire single target spells have a trend of doing 110/111 dpp by average, as seen above. Rampage is 43/44 above Fire's median.

To add to its increased damage, Burning Rampage is impossible to counter or predict from second. Here's a common scenario with the spell. Since the spell hits a turn later, player A casts it and player B uses a spell (shield, heal, whatever). Then it's player A's turn and he can remove whatever shield player B put. If player B put no shield, player A will feint and then the spell hits. Player B has no way to counter, while the spell will likely OHKO with a feint at almost any level.

So my conclusion is that Rampage needs to be nerfed to Fire's 111 dpp range and deal 55 + 500 damage. Who else agrees?

Survivor
Jul 08, 2011
I agree. As someone who only occasionally does pvp, rampage has always been a problem. The damage is ridiculous and totally unnecessary. I think many fire spells need to be nerfed, but this one is definitely at the top of the list of overpowered pvp spells.

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
I also agree.
One could say that it is the same as other Dot Fire Spells but this one comes included with a Detonate which unless you are first is impossible to counter.