Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Non-donors have voices too~

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 09, 2011
So the last time I bought an item from the store was back in January. I stopped playing a little while after that and earlier this month I started playing again. I didn't buy anything until yesterday, though, and with this being said I had some very good ideas for the ranking system for PvP. I even thought up an entire body of a thread one day but I couldn't post it because I couldn't as a non-donor. I've clung onto many of those ideas but I want a few more of my posts to get out there before I make the thread stating my ideas. However, non-donors have voices too. In the game I've seen very intelligent players who have great ideas to improve the game, like for example decrease the chance of getting a few rare drops because they see so many players with the drops and they're sick of it. I can guess that the forums would get kinda spammy, but that's why it's fully moderated and why after every post you submit it tells you that. Now, a good more than 99.9999% of players have not read the forums. Of the remaining ten-thousandth there's the donators who contributed a financial investment towards this game and can post, and there's the vast majority of players who are here on this forum who have not donated and cannot post. So it's more like one ten-millionth of those who know what this forum is that can post. What I propose is for non-donators with at least a good six months' worth with a registered account can post on here. That way when that one guy who's trying to find Rattlebones' tower because he accidentally disabled the quest arrow he knew nothing about at the time, he can't talk about it on the forums because it's irrelevant and can be solved by another player he can easily reach in The Commons or even Unicorn Way if he hasn't switched realms and he's in a populated one. Or even players who have donated in the past can post here forever. Whichever way you guys want to go, even though I doubt the one who makes all the smaller decisions about the forums won't read this. But if they do, kudos to you. You've officially made it past the Great Wall of Text.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Hi :)

I hope they do not decrease chances of getting 'good drops' even more. To me, it is already very hard to get 'good drops' especially as a newer player without the more powerful hit spells. And then in a lot of team ups, one player will often kill everything, not allowing others to play or to 'hit' (attack) anything, so the others get no points and probably worse drops. (I'm not sure about the worse drops, but I have been told it's according to how hard you 'hit' or attack.)

Personally I do not mind if every player has a 'good drop' - I'm not envious of what other players have, so I don't want chances to decrease simply because someone else might get the drop also. To me that's not a good way to look at it. Just my opinion though! But maybe I haven't seen what you are referring to. To me the gear already differs quite a bit among players. There's also 'stitching.'

On the part about everyone having a voice I'm not sure if you are saying that only paid members can post in the forum? I have no idea about that. Maybe it is much easier to moderate when they can control how many accounts people can make to post here. I'd imagine allowing all people on the internet (potentially) to post here would be a living nightmare for moderation.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
All this would do is create more work for KI workers and take time away from actually working on the game. Non-member/crown players can use other resources like http://www.wizard101central.com
There's the wiki and forums there and a wealth of knowledge and help that isn't available here anyways.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
I most definitely agree with you, non donors should be able to post on the forums.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
seethe42 on Sep 27, 2016 wrote:
All this would do is create more work for KI workers and take time away from actually working on the game. Non-member/crown players can use other resources like http://www.wizard101central.com
There's the wiki and forums there and a wealth of knowledge and help that isn't available here anyways.
Yes, and in addition, KI does read those forums too so they are not ignoring you there.

Survivor
Sep 18, 2016
so before i made this post, i read the article saying only currently paying whatever's are allowed to post. why is that? i am a paying whatever but honestly why do we have to make a purchase before expressing our opinions?
i may have understood wrong or misread it, if so, please enlighten me.

Stephanie, Level 54, Grandmaster Necromancer

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
cansupirbudak on Sep 28, 2016 wrote:
so before i made this post, i read the article saying only currently paying whatever's are allowed to post. why is that? i am a paying whatever but honestly why do we have to make a purchase before expressing our opinions?
i may have understood wrong or misread it, if so, please enlighten me.

Stephanie, Level 54, Grandmaster Necromancer
Like any business, feedback from your paying customers is what matters most. Your opinion doesn't really matter if you aren't a customer. A steak house doesn't survey vegans on how it can improve it's menu.

Explorer
May 09, 2011
You seem like a smart person, but what if there's someone smarter than you out there who hasn't donated? What if they are the one who can fix the whole craze of "Ice is too OP in 110 PvP"? This is the website advertised on the actual game's launcher, when they click "Upgrade to Membership" or "Buy Crowns" it takes them here and they see Message Boards and they click on it, thinking hey, my solution to fixing problem x could be seen here and maybe fixed! But then they don't see an option to post, and they feel down because of it. They lose hope that their idea will be heard. That's what I'm getting at in this thread.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I do not think that Free to Play Players need to be able to post on the board. Here's why:

1. Posting on the message boards is a privilege not a right. Anyone can obtain this privilege by making a purchase with Kings Isle.
2. There are other alternatives. As SeeThe42 mentioned you can post things on Wizard101Central and there are also plenty of other sites that have comments sections. Not to mention the fact that you can make your own site or post things on the Facebook or other social media sites.
3. It requires time and resources to maintain the message board. With the cutbacks that KI went through this past year, we saw a reduction in KI's force. Instead of being constantly updated by Professor Greyrose, we now have Dworgyn that has time to update the boards usually twice per day. (Nothing against Dworgyn, I think he does a fine job and no doubt is busy summoning ghouls, tending mushroom farms and milking aphids etc.) If you add more people to the mix that are sending in messages that is just more to put on Dworgyn and other's plate. (There is no such thing as a free lunch ya know.) So for the simple fact that it is moderated, having the paying requirement cuts down on the spam.
4. It's presumptuous to assume that Free to Play players ideas are better than Members and vice-a-versa. That is a non-issue. If anything I'd say to the contrary, because Free-to-Play people only experience Triton Avenue by and large.
5. Many Free to Play Players are younger and wouldn't utilize or would be weird on the system. What I mean by that is we've all read a post or two that just simply isn't coherent-at all. And I think the number of those posts would increase. They ask one question and you ask a clarifying question and the conversation dies. Like why post in the first place?

So mainly because I don't think that you should get a free lunch out of the system, and it would create extra work with no extra pay I do not think that "Non-donors" should have a voice.

Explorer
May 09, 2011
exp613 on Sep 28, 2016 wrote:
I do not think that Free to Play Players need to be able to post on the board. Here's why:

1. Posting on the message boards is a privilege not a right. Anyone can obtain this privilege by making a purchase with Kings Isle.
2. There are other alternatives. As SeeThe42 mentioned you can post things on Wizard101Central and there are also plenty of other sites that have comments sections. Not to mention the fact that you can make your own site or post things on the Facebook or other social media sites.
3. It requires time and resources to maintain the message board. With the cutbacks that KI went through this past year, we saw a reduction in KI's force. Instead of being constantly updated by Professor Greyrose, we now have Dworgyn that has time to update the boards usually twice per day. (Nothing against Dworgyn, I think he does a fine job and no doubt is busy summoning ghouls, tending mushroom farms and milking aphids etc.) If you add more people to the mix that are sending in messages that is just more to put on Dworgyn and other's plate. (There is no such thing as a free lunch ya know.) So for the simple fact that it is moderated, having the paying requirement cuts down on the spam.
4. It's presumptuous to assume that Free to Play players ideas are better than Members and vice-a-versa. That is a non-issue. If anything I'd say to the contrary, because Free-to-Play people only experience Triton Avenue by and large.
5. Many Free to Play Players are younger and wouldn't utilize or would be weird on the system. What I mean by that is we've all read a post or two that just simply isn't coherent-at all. And I think the number of those posts would increase. They ask one question and you ask a clarifying question and the conversation dies. Like why post in the first place?

So mainly because I don't think that you should get a free lunch out of the system, and it would create extra work with no extra pay I do not think that "Non-donors" should have a voice.
I see your point, but it's the fact that there are some people who read the message boards and know what the problem is with unbalances and such. There is a way around this though:

They could only post in the Wizard City area, considering that's the only world they have access to

Maybe Grizzleheim, because they go there at level 5, but really no further than that.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
BluJewel on Sep 28, 2016 wrote:
You seem like a smart person, but what if there's someone smarter than you out there who hasn't donated? What if they are the one who can fix the whole craze of "Ice is too OP in 110 PvP"? This is the website advertised on the actual game's launcher, when they click "Upgrade to Membership" or "Buy Crowns" it takes them here and they see Message Boards and they click on it, thinking hey, my solution to fixing problem x could be seen here and maybe fixed! But then they don't see an option to post, and they feel down because of it. They lose hope that their idea will be heard. That's what I'm getting at in this thread.
A free to play player has clearly never played either side of a 110 level Ice PvP. Not really the best example. Free to play players, even using all options for free crowns, would need to play trivia every day for about 3 years to have access to the areas of the game needed to make it to max level.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Does KI read that forum?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
SparkleTude on Sep 26, 2016 wrote:
Hi :)

I hope they do not decrease chances of getting 'good drops' even more. To me, it is already very hard to get 'good drops' especially as a newer player without the more powerful hit spells. And then in a lot of team ups, one player will often kill everything, not allowing others to play or to 'hit' (attack) anything, so the others get no points and probably worse drops. (I'm not sure about the worse drops, but I have been told it's according to how hard you 'hit' or attack.)

Personally I do not mind if every player has a 'good drop' - I'm not envious of what other players have, so I don't want chances to decrease simply because someone else might get the drop also. To me that's not a good way to look at it. Just my opinion though! But maybe I haven't seen what you are referring to. To me the gear already differs quite a bit among players. There's also 'stitching.'

On the part about everyone having a voice I'm not sure if you are saying that only paid members can post in the forum? I have no idea about that. Maybe it is much easier to moderate when they can control how many accounts people can make to post here. I'd imagine allowing all people on the internet (potentially) to post here would be a living nightmare for moderation.
I agree!

As for non-donors being able to post, I think they definitely should - but it's reasonable for there to be limitations.

Some ideas:
  • Non-donors could get a lower priority, so their posts would be approved later.
  • Non-donors could be limited to only submitting so many posts a day.
  • Non-donors could have to pay crowns (maybe 5-10 crowns) per post submitted.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Fable Finder on Sep 29, 2016 wrote:
Does KI read that forum?
. . . in fact I just visited there yesterday.

Sorry all. I'm going to have to stop the discussion here. We appreciate your feedback, but the privileged of posting on these message boards will continue to be a paying player benefit as noted in The Rules.