Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

To Dworgyn: Is accuracy from gear additive?

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Recently on Central some users have suggested that the accuracy gained from gear is not additive as has been common belief for quite some time. We have a post from Professor Greyrose here in 2009 confirming that accuracy from gear is additive but some users have suggested that said post may no longer apply. Just looking for some confirmation that accuracy from gear is still additive (and if not an explanation of any changes made)

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
After reading that was Wild bolt really only 10% Back in the day?!
And to answer your question I don't know if it's still additive. I have a 12% accuracy bonus and as a myth wizard with spells at a base of 80% accuracy, making that 92%, I still sometimes fizzle with Infallible up.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 7, 2016 wrote:
Recently on Central some users have suggested that the accuracy gained from gear is not additive as has been common belief for quite some time. We have a post from Professor Greyrose here in 2009 confirming that accuracy from gear is additive but some users have suggested that said post may no longer apply. Just looking for some confirmation that accuracy from gear is still additive (and if not an explanation of any changes made)
I don't know, I always thought it was.

I have had a friend with 30% Storm accuracy fizzle a Storm spell before, and we were both really confused as to why that happened. She got the accuracy from gear, not pet stats.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Leicrex on Sep 7, 2016 wrote:
After reading that was Wild bolt really only 10% Back in the day?!
And to answer your question I don't know if it's still additive. I have a 12% accuracy bonus and as a myth wizard with spells at a base of 80% accuracy, making that 92%, I still sometimes fizzle with Infallible up.
Oh yeah it was, but it also dealt a base1000 storm damage to the foe every time, so the low accuracy was the trade-off for the high base power for only 2 pips.

Defender
Jul 21, 2013
According to my calculations, the Accuracy System is indeed not additive! I will tell you now: Do not waste your time on trying to get accuracy from gear! Here is my evidence to support my theory. Eric Stormbringer said "I have a myth with 92 accuracy and I still fizzle with Infallible." The Accuracy System is messed up because if you do the math, you will see that 92+15%=105.8%. So, unless you have a ward on you that is -__% accuracy, there is no way you could fizzle! Thus proving that the Wizard101 Accuracy System is in fact not accurate at all.

Connor Legendbane 87

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
The Weather Man on Sep 8, 2016 wrote:
According to my calculations, the Accuracy System is indeed not additive! I will tell you now: Do not waste your time on trying to get accuracy from gear! Here is my evidence to support my theory. Eric Stormbringer said "I have a myth with 92 accuracy and I still fizzle with Infallible." The Accuracy System is messed up because if you do the math, you will see that 92+15%=105.8%. So, unless you have a ward on you that is -__% accuracy, there is no way you could fizzle! Thus proving that the Wizard101 Accuracy System is in fact not accurate at all.

Connor Legendbane 87
Not necessarily. It depends on whether Infallible is applied like gear-based accuracy boosts.

Fortify is not applied like gear-based Resist buffs; you can never get Immunity with Fortify because it adds 15% of your gear-buffed resist, not an additive 15%. If all auras behave this way, it would explain why Infallible does not fizz-proof. It also makes Infallible a lot less useful than players currently believe it to be. The cards are not clear, so we've assumed they behave in the same manner as other boosts. They may not.

I know KI doesn't like to discuss mechanics, but truly as players, we ought to know what the spells we cast do. It should be evident by their card description, but if it isn't, there should be a consultable in-game guide which tells us what each spell does, so we may be clear about how any buff/boost/ward affect it, what it will do to our Wizards.

There has been an ongoing rumor that 100% is not really 100% due to the way the game calculates gear boosts. I've once or twice in seven years seen a player with 100% Accuracy fizz. I've never seen a player with 101% fizz. That could be evidence (not proof, evidence) that it's additive, but doesn't hit 100% when 100% is displayed, rather 99.9%. Perhaps Life's base 90% is actually 89.9% (Storm's base 70% is actually 69.9%, etc. . .) because of math used by game programming? Maybe all stats are actually rounded to displayed value not actually integers.

You can't ever prove a negative, so without confirmation we'll never be certain - but the theory that it is additive but based on non-integer values is supported by what players observe in game.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Character sheet display (the "C" key opens this up) shows an Accuracy that is added up from all gear, pets, and companions. With +29% Accuracy, the only spell I see failing from time to time is Supernova (with an Accuracy of 60%).

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Hey all. Just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring this thread. I'm just making sure of my answer by triple checking with the Designers and Programmers.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Nothing has changed, and accuracy from gear is in fact additive. I asked the Designers and Programmers to take another look at the back end to make sure everything is working. We discovered there are some rounding issues figured into the formulas thanks to the way pet stats work (most of you are already aware of this). Visually we round up to our players, but in the code we round down. We’d like to adjust this display error in the future and realize the confusion it can cause.

Every other anomaly that players have seen with accuracy we would need to look at on a case by case basis (with steps to recreate the anomaly) and test.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Thank you for looking into this so quickly, Dworgyn!

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Dworgyn on Sep 9, 2016 wrote:
Nothing has changed, and accuracy from gear is in fact additive. I asked the Designers and Programmers to take another look at the back end to make sure everything is working. We discovered there are some rounding issues figured into the formulas thanks to the way pet stats work (most of you are already aware of this). Visually we round up to our players, but in the code we round down. We’d like to adjust this display error in the future and realize the confusion it can cause.

Every other anomaly that players have seen with accuracy we would need to look at on a case by case basis (with steps to recreate the anomaly) and test.
Thank You for checking!