Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Option: Allow player to join battle? Yes/No/etc.

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I hit the cancel button because it was under "watch topic for replies" and I was sleepy and didn't read it...sigh

So I will start this post over. Sorry my thoughts were better organized last time. Maybe others can add their thoughts too. But please don't automatically dismiss this idea.

As people have explained in the "What Annoys You?" topic as well as in past years, if you google "Wizard 101 players jump into battle" or similar phrases, many players dislike when random strangers run and jump into their battle without asking first.

Some other players think it is stupid to have to offer or ask first before running into strangers' battles.

This solution would please everyone.

Add an option in the Options tab in the game and/or on the website, which says "Allow Other Players to Join Battle?" The choices could be Yes/No/Friends Only.

You could also put "random" for "other."

Once people figured out what this meant, they could always change their choice on that issue in the same tab.

My first week it made me nervous and tense when strangers would just join my battles without asking. I didn't know if it meant they got all my treasure instead of me. I didn't know why they did it because most said nothing. It usually added extra stress because I'd often be on the last monster in a quest and they'd add 1 to 3 more.

Starting out, you are low on mana and get easily killed off. Most of the players who join without asking cannot heal other players. So this often got my wizard killed off or nearly so. I preferred to build up mana between monsters rather than fight 4 at once. Strangers jumping into my battle without permission changed the way I played, without me giving any permission for it. My only option was "flee," losing my battle completely.

OK anyway. Give the option in the Option tab just like there is an Option to accept friend or other requests. Joining someone's battle should be a request, not just taken.

There could also be a pop up in game which could be abled or disabled from the website or Options panel, whether to allow a pop up which asks: "Others must request before joining battle." I would say YES on that one. But I'd also love the option to choose "friends only" to jump into my battles.

There are times it is OK and times it is not, but mostly, not, especially when a player is new. They don't have the mana to stand there for all those monsters at one go. They also might have to go to real life and now they can't. Other players add time to the battle too and maybe the person has to go do something in real life.

Thanks.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Hmm, interesting idea.

KI used to have the policy that helping others in the game was a good idea and encouraged players to join each others duels, however that changed when people started stating similar concerns, with primarily it takes longer to finish the battle as the main concern. To address your concern players in no way "steal" your potential rewards, or points or anything. I also personally believe that fleeing when someone joins your duel is ALMOST always an inappropriate response, especially in street fights, (though there are times where maybe). I personally don't feel that this is really necessary, nor worth the time to code. Because there already exists some ways to avoid this situation to some degree. 1st: You can have people join a group. This reserves spots for them in the fight meaning that only people in your group are allowed to join your fight. This works great, however the disadvantage is you have to have four people join your group to lock out all spots. The second and perhaps easier solution is to go on a Realm with no people on it. Generally if you go to a realm like Wu, Scarecrow, Kelvin etc. or whereever there is fewer players you seldom run into random people joining.

Also as far as Wizard City is concerned like 90% of the time the monster that comes into the duel focuses on the player that brought them in. So if someone joins late the monster is going to focus on them instead of you. I think especially this feature (should it ever be implemented) is NOT RESTRICTED to lower levels as that is a key time for you to find other players to quest with and make friends. Also I feel like a lot of kids (who usually are in Wizard City) can usually use the help and preventing them from joining duels would cause a lot of unneeded confusion.

Just my thoughts! Good luck in your adventures through the Spiral, but who knows maybe KI will implement this idea in the future.

exp613

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I can see the benefit having this type of option.

Based on your suggestion, I'd love there to be an optional join feature at the Tartarus Dungeon Team Up Sigil, with players having the choice to join a team to fight Cronus, do the entire Dungeon, or both. This would allow all players to only be directed onto teams wanting to do the same task; eliminating any confusion in the process.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
There's really no need for this. It would also make daily assignments really annoying. So what if Player One has Yes to allow and Player Two has No set? Your "solution" to a non-existant problem would not please everyone. If you want to be alone, go to an empty realm. The realms fill in alphabetic order for the most part. Pick a higher letter. If people keep doing it, finish the battle then change realms.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Thanks everyone for your input. Here are my basic responses.

seethe42: It's not a 'non existent problem' - google the phrase and you will see people have been griping about this exploit for years.

How does a brand-new player "go to an empty realm" when they only have Wizard City? How would a brand new player or someone only here on a trial basis know or care about that? What is an empty realm? I have never seen one. I have only seen "busy" and "normal."

Going to all that fuss when there could be a privacy option for those who wish to quest alone seems inconvenient at best.

There would be no "Player Two" for those who wish to quest alone. Also, the code could be written so one player's "No" overrides everyone else's. If they are questing in a group, then they probably know each other. If they don't know each other, then they'd have to agree on this beforehand, if they actually wanted still more people to join. If they have a group, I don't know why they'd want or need random strangers. Surely a group would have a strategy and not want hangers-on.

I think the solution would certainly please the enormous number of people who dislike people jumping in. The others could learn to ask first ;)

Tylerwildpants: Thank you. I haven't been there yet but that sounds sensible.

exp613: Thanks for the backup on the 'flee' option. I agree it's hardly ideal, but some days, especially after a handful in a row have jumped in JUST as my monster died and then stood there, it's the only way to avoid more frustration. I play to relax. I dislike others assuming I have time to spend or that it's OK to just jump in and scoop up the points I won. It's often the last monster I needed - now instead of moving on I have to fight their monster, too. It makes no sense to me. There is no benefit to me.

I haven't noticed the fight being split evenly when others join. I'm left in 'tank' position, doing most of the fighting - or all, if they stand there and 'pass' turns. Thanks again all. :)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Hmm I couldn't do a partial quote. So exp613 this is to the last part (I ran out of room.)

Questing with others might be what some enjoy but - some are here only to meet family or friends they know from real life. Maybe some families don't want their kids to talk to anyone else. Maybe some adults don't want to deal with all sorts of strangers but to streamline and focus their game time.

Just saying it should be an option. There are times I would like help - but then there are no takers, and it's not because I've said no to others, because they are different people and different worlds/monsters/quests/days etc.

So to me that proves that most are just doing this jump in someone else's battle thing, for their own benefit, not anyone else's and not to make friends. None have even spoken a word afterward - they just run away. Lol

I did meet 2 nice people though, especially one who asked first and then asked again before each battle. AND they healed me AND they helped a ton. Now that type of thing might be OK but usually the result is much different.

Kids wouldn't be prevented from joining all duels. A good number of players would still choose to allow anyone to join their battles. They could still avoid asking first, which seems a small thing to well, ask. I am still confused why simply asking first is a bad thing. In real life, someone unknown jumping into a fight can be dangerous to all. So it's not good RP imo either.

Those who are stressed out by this for reasons aforementioned, could avoid it though. :) We're not all here to meet people in the spiral, but to meet people we already know maybe. Or to just relax and not worry about anyone else for a while. That might sound unfriendly to some. But some of us do a lot of helping in our daily life and would ilke to be selfish for a half hour or hour a day :)

TL/DR - it is all about time spent and freedom of choice. Not having others decide for us.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
There is Full, Crowded, Normal and Perfect in the realms. Perfect means pretty much empty and that's the most common status for many realms. I've gone days on end questing alone without seeing anyone by going to a realm low on the list. Joining a battle is not an exploit. It's a part of the game.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
seethe42 on Aug 27, 2016 wrote:
There is Full, Crowded, Normal and Perfect in the realms. Perfect means pretty much empty and that's the most common status for many realms. I've gone days on end questing alone without seeing anyone by going to a realm low on the list. Joining a battle is not an exploit. It's a part of the game.
I'm not sure I'm communicating the frustration many feel when people jump into their battle *without asking first.*

For a new player, everything is confusing enough. It takes a while to learn all these things, even if the person has read the manual. Not everyone is a hardcore RPGer or gamer or whatever, some just play for fun. Yes, a 'casual.' ;)

(Almost) anything in any game can be misused and turned into griefing if done a certain way, I think.

Let's say a new player missed the tip that they should stick to the sidewalks. They cross the street and didn't see a monster coming. Maybe they didn't even make that connection yet, that it can trigger a battle. Now they're in a battle with a monster they didn't even need. The player is getting whomped. They just barely make it to the end...

...and now 3 other players rush in just for kicks, or to get that kill they don't really even need.

I've seen higher-level players do this, as well as other beginner players. The game doesn't make it clear that not everyone might want strangers to jump in. As others have said in the past as well, it can mess up a strategy, it can get players 'killed' and it can waste the first player's time.

Let's say teh player got pulled into a battle with a monster by accident. They don't need the monster in any quests. Now they have 3 more of that monster, they also didn't need.

People don't do this to make friends, I don't think, because what kind of friend has no regard for the other person's wishes or time? The people who ask first, which is all this topic really is about, have lost nothing but two seconds' time, and shown respect for the other player. That's a person I'd want to quest with - not someone who doesn't care what I want :)

As for the Full, Crowded, Normal and Perfect - I've already forgotten how to even change to other Wizard Cities or whatever. How would anyone know perfect means empty? How would they think to do that? And it won't solve this issue.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
SparkleTude on Aug 29, 2016 wrote:
I'm not sure I'm communicating the frustration many feel when people jump into their battle *without asking first.*

For a new player, everything is confusing enough. It takes a while to learn all these things, even if the person has read the manual. Not everyone is a hardcore RPGer or gamer or whatever, some just play for fun. Yes, a 'casual.' ;)

(Almost) anything in any game can be misused and turned into griefing if done a certain way, I think.

Let's say a new player missed the tip that they should stick to the sidewalks. They cross the street and didn't see a monster coming. Maybe they didn't even make that connection yet, that it can trigger a battle. Now they're in a battle with a monster they didn't even need. The player is getting whomped. They just barely make it to the end...

...and now 3 other players rush in just for kicks, or to get that kill they don't really even need.

I've seen higher-level players do this, as well as other beginner players. The game doesn't make it clear that not everyone might want strangers to jump in. As others have said in the past as well, it can mess up a strategy, it can get players 'killed' and it can waste the first player's time.

Let's say teh player got pulled into a battle with a monster by accident. They don't need the monster in any quests. Now they have 3 more of that monster, they also didn't need.

People don't do this to make friends, I don't think, because what kind of friend has no regard for the other person's wishes or time? The people who ask first, which is all this topic really is about, have lost nothing but two seconds' time, and shown respect for the other player. That's a person I'd want to quest with - not someone who doesn't care what I want :)

As for the Full, Crowded, Normal and Perfect - I've already forgotten how to even change to other Wizard Cities or whatever. How would anyone know perfect means empty? How would they think to do that? And it won't solve this issue.
You keep going on and on about a non-issue. So what if they join, they need to kill the monsters as well and it'll probably end faster anyways because you have three more wizards fighting. You are playing a MMORPG, people in the world are a part of the game. If you want to play alone, play Playstation. If you're a casual player why are griefing so much about such a minor thing. We are talking about mob fights that take even beginning wizards a 1-2 pip spell or a wand to end. You call it an exploit when it's a integral part of the game. At the very most someone might possibly waste 30-60 seconds of your time? Go to another realm and move on. It doesn't require recoding the game when the game is designed to be a multi-player online game just because you don't understand that. The issue is you not understanding the many ways to avoid it as has already been stated. You have many avenues and choose not to pay attention to them. That's not a fault of the game.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Many times, I've finished off my enemies just as a new player joined. Their action caused another (invulnerable) enemy to pop into the ring, and made me wait additional rounds. In the low end of the game, this has caused my low health wizard to be defeated. What frustration!

Going to a low population realm helps a lot with this. The issue essentially never happens in dungeons.

But could this game be adjusted to stop this from happening? Barring other players from joining in a duel means that you are occupying a dueling ring while denying up to three other players the ability to use it. This means that an area with three rings, which normally supports up to a dozen players, now supports only three. Daily Assignment targets would get far more crowded as a result.

I suppose what could help with this is changing the way a new monster enters a ring. If all enemies are defeated while other players or monsters are waiting to enter, the active wizard(s) simply wins, does a victory dance, and becomes invulnerable for a brief time. A new match then immediately begins in the same ring.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
seethe42 on Aug 29, 2016 wrote:
You keep going on and on about a non-issue. So what if they join, they need to kill the monsters as well and it'll probably end faster anyways because you have three more wizards fighting. You are playing a MMORPG, people in the world are a part of the game. If you want to play alone, play Playstation. If you're a casual player why are griefing so much about such a minor thing. We are talking about mob fights that take even beginning wizards a 1-2 pip spell or a wand to end. You call it an exploit when it's a integral part of the game. At the very most someone might possibly waste 30-60 seconds of your time? Go to another realm and move on. It doesn't require recoding the game when the game is designed to be a multi-player online game just because you don't understand that. The issue is you not understanding the many ways to avoid it as has already been stated. You have many avenues and choose not to pay attention to them. That's not a fault of the game.
seethe42: I only go on and on if you keep coming in to read it repeatedly - no one forced any of you to read here. What you all are trying to do here is not to discuss how to solve the problem but to browbeat me and insist there is not one. I am not the first to bring this up - again there are posts going back years, about this issue.

Forcing someone to battle with or for you against their will, is not okay. It's obviously okay for the ones doing the forcing. That none of you seem to *care* that other people *do not want you to do that* is troubling. No one has a right to distort or control anyone else's game play. Other people having the option to say no to you obviously upsets some of you a great deal. Why is that? Stop making this about me. Insulting me doesn't prove or solve anything, either. Again, use the solution you offered me: "leave if you don't like it" is basically what I was told - "go to another world," as if giving up my battle points or continually running from people who are too rude to so much as ask to join the battle, is the solution. It isn't.

*Other people* having an option to *say no to you* would only harm you if you are the type who insists on having their way no matter what the other person wants. There is absolutely no reason anyone couldn't form a quest group in the Commons, or even ask someone who's on the sidewalk if they'd like to team up for a while. No reason at all.

What happens to me and many others, repeatedly, is people run into the battle at the last moment, taking a share of a kill they had nothing to do with, then do little to nothing while the player kills the second monster as well. Then, they run away. Or worse, they follow and repeatedly do this to the same player or others, until they have their quests done. There is no reason to do it that way aside from thoughtlessness and selfishness.

Other players having the Yes/No/Friends only option is already in the game for trades, friendship, etc. Needs to be for battles too.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
seethe42: As for 'wasting at most thirty seconds' - not true at all. A fight that was actually over with, could wind up lasting a few minutes at least, while the player hasn't had a chance to refill their mana. Now their choices are use up treasure cards for monsters they never needed; flee; or possibly wind up killed, in which case IIRC they get no points.

There is no reason at all the others couldn't have waited til the player ran to the sidewalk, ask them to team up (most will say yes, but it's the small chance they'd say no, or ask for a favor in return that is the *actual reason most just run in and grab and go without saying a thing*) or whatever.

Nothing in asking first prevents anyone from playing the game or getting their quests done - in fact they could wind up with a partner who'd help them far more than just the one battle.

Can no one tell me what is the big deal about asking first? And tell me why there are options for Yes/No/etc. for friend invites, group invites, trades, etc.? I am not going to keep trying to convince any of you that there *is* a problem, when the truth is you don't want or care to see that there is one. The issue was how to solve it. Forcing the other player to run from you all day isn't a solution. It isn't their fault you care nothing for their enjoyment or their time.

Seriously - what is the big deal about asking first or having others questing with you? Aside from ten seconds of YOUR time, or possibly having to spend time YOU didn't want to spend, after you got yours, helping them back?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I do understand the game - but people should *have the option to fight solo or to say no to randoms joining their battles.*

They should also *have the option to team up when or if they wish to and with WHOM they wish to* which would not be altered *whatsoever* by having a privacy option of Yes/No/Friends Only, for "joining battle in progress."

I'm not sure what is not clear about that. This changes *nothing* for the game other than you can no longer jump in and *force* random strangers to battle for you.

Obviously people who are *exploiting other players* to get ahead would love this to continue. Those who are *being exploited* by this do not. Most won't speak up because they get insulted for it. I don't care if you insult me. This is impacting my enjoyment of a game I've paid a lot for - and I'm not the only one who feels this way, so don't make it about me.

There is absolutely no reason you can't team up before the battle starts - NONE. Unless you don't want them to have the ABILITY to say no.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2013
I understand your frustration and the want to change something that however, in my opinion is not a problem. This is something which can easily be corrected by how and where you play. There are many quiet realms to choose from where you can play without running into any other people. I personally choose to solo and keep to the quiet realms. The only time I would go to a busy realm is if I want to socialize and make friends. Best of luck and happy questing

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
I played most of the game solo, only soliciting help for things I absolutely could not do by myself.

I think joining a battle without asking first is among the rudest player behavior in the game. Rudeness is a fact of life and I'm not on board with preventing it by stopping other people from playing as they want. Mere rudeness is not against the rules.

We have Menu Chat options "Please Don't Join My Duel." You may ask them not to, you may not control their behavior - much like the real world.

This is way too exclusionary for a game that advertises to children. It is the exact behavior we are trying to prevent in their schools - I can't see endorsing the "Mean Girls" mentality in any way as positive. Yes, exclusion happens already, but it requires actual player behavior. Setting it to a toggle able option isn't acceptable IMO.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I think this used to be a bigger issue than it is now. Going to a less crowded server is a good thing to do (as already pointed out). There's no way to stop others from playing. Sure, it can be maddening, especially if they flee and leave you to handle more than your fair share, but it's part of the system when you play a public game. I think limiting the battle circle does more harm than good actually.

Example: You're in an area, where a specific monster only roams one part you're working in. That area only has enough room to fit 2 battle circles in it. If both circles are filled with one person apiece, and nobody else can join, then the whole game bottlenecks because of it. Everybody else, and in a worst case scenario, that's 6 other players, have to wait for the battles to finish before they can get in. If either one of the 2 people who have their game set to disallow others, and they get in before you, now you have to wait even longer.

The ONLY way I see this happening, is if they create new servers with this function in it, and then you only join those servers. However, I just dont see KI putting in the resources to make that happen. I know this isnt what you want to hear.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
I agree with dayerider and have to say no. It shouldn't be a big problem and no one should make a big deal about it. Some people think differently of what is rude and what is not rude. There will always be those people that will join in at the last second and to make a big deal about it isn't really that reasonable. This just a game. Also there has never been huge problems on this in the past and I think the game shouldn't stray too far from what it originally was like.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dayerider on Aug 29, 2016 wrote:
I think this used to be a bigger issue than it is now. Going to a less crowded server is a good thing to do (as already pointed out). There's no way to stop others from playing. Sure, it can be maddening, especially if they flee and leave you to handle more than your fair share, but it's part of the system when you play a public game. I think limiting the battle circle does more harm than good actually.

Example: You're in an area, where a specific monster only roams one part you're working in. That area only has enough room to fit 2 battle circles in it. If both circles are filled with one person apiece, and nobody else can join, then the whole game bottlenecks because of it. Everybody else, and in a worst case scenario, that's 6 other players, have to wait for the battles to finish before they can get in. If either one of the 2 people who have their game set to disallow others, and they get in before you, now you have to wait even longer.

The ONLY way I see this happening, is if they create new servers with this function in it, and then you only join those servers. However, I just dont see KI putting in the resources to make that happen. I know this isnt what you want to hear.
This bottlenecking is already apparent with certain creatures in the daily assignments. It's very common to find 2 circles with 8 players filled and you have to wait. Now if those people all are set to NO then it bottlenecks even more.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2013
Now, no offense, but this would be a horrid idea. I'll use piercing jewels as an example. When they first came out, everyone flurried to Crescent Beach in Khrysalis to farm white razors for them. If we had this option, and some people chose to turn it on, you could have one man teams clogging up the entire area, and you couldn't join a single one. Seethe is right about realms. It's not even hard to go to another one. And Joining an occupied battle circle isn't an exploit.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
So, most replies are that it is not a problem. No offense but - if a person does not believe a problem even exists, they might not be the one to sort it out and find a solution for it?

A problem does exist because there have been players complaining about this for years. Again anyone who distrusts that statement, just google it, if you wish. It's there.

The fact that many are made uncomfortable, game time lengthened considerably, enjoyment lessened or removed from the game play for them, many on a trial basis might become flustered and leave, or in general just are annoyed and do not wish to have this happen, means it is a problem. That is a fact, an empirical fact.

What I'm not hearing is how this would negatively affect anyone else, since if it's the case that 'most people do not want or need this' they surely could find plenty of people to battle with. I cannot see a way this would negatively impact any other games, especially not anywhere near the way the battle crashers negatively impact many, many strangers' games. Let's be clear. they don't crash battles to make friends. It's antisocial not social. A social person asks first. A social person quests with someone who agrees to it. An antisocial action is to battle crash, then run.

There is already 'exclusivity' in the game. People form groups. People ask to be friends. We have an option to say no to group invitations, to friend invitations, to trades, etc., etc. This is more vital. It is no more and no less exclusive - there is nothing preventing the person ASKING first which is ALL this topic pertains to.

Yes, I have asked them not to do it. Yes, I have asked them to leave. I get no reply or a rude one. When I have asked others to join sometimes they say no they are done and want to go to their next quest. Other players have told me they are highly annoyed with battle crashers.

The ONLY reason someone crashes a battle is to get free points. It doesn't add 30 seconds, it adds more like 5 minutes.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I think it's been turned into a denial of a problem because the people who are doing this are obviously benefiting from this and don't want it to stop.

One could say the same things about being pestered to loan money to players - but the game has an ignore player option. One could say there's nothing wrong with asking for friendship in the game - but the game has more than one option to avoid being pestered to death by constant friend invitations, and other invitations.

When someone runs in on the very last sliver of monster life, just as it's about to die, it's deliberate. They don't say a word at any point in time. Then their friends run in, too. It doesn't add 30 seconds. First of all, I will spend much more time replacing mana than I would've spent battling only one monster at a go. If I flee, that's even worse on my mana. And then if I flee, I lose the kill. Sometimes I have spent all morning trying to get one thing for a collection quest.

I finally get the ring or whatever I was questing for. I'm happy. I'm about to leave when...people rush in and I have to not only start all over again if I want to keep what I won - but I have to either watch them battle, or I have to use my treasure cards, mana and time for monsters I didn't need or want.

Please also understand this is not about 'me' - if I had not found tons of people saying the same thing just on quick google searches, I'd have thought "ok my bad luck, this game isn't for me, kiss my money goodbye." I am also offering a POSITIVE course of action which hurts NO one else, would benefit many new players. People say "you can't control other people's games." Giving one player an option to stop other people invading and controlling THEIR game is not controlling YOUR game, it's giving THEM their freedom back.

I don't imagine it would go over well in real life if you went to a park and grabbed a basketball in a game of HORSE, sat down at a picnic table with a strange family at a BBQ, etc. To me this is no diff

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Merfolura on Aug 30, 2016 wrote:
Now, no offense, but this would be a horrid idea. I'll use piercing jewels as an example. When they first came out, everyone flurried to Crescent Beach in Khrysalis to farm white razors for them. If we had this option, and some people chose to turn it on, you could have one man teams clogging up the entire area, and you couldn't join a single one. Seethe is right about realms. It's not even hard to go to another one. And Joining an occupied battle circle isn't an exploit.
I still have no clue how to go to another realm and I doubt most new players do either. Nor should anyone have to go running around the spiral because players are griefing them. Forcing people to battle for you against their will, or lose their own kill, is griefing. Seethe accused me of 'griefing.' I grief no one. I ask before I'd ever even think of running in and swooping up someone else's points. If they say no that's that. Because I actually care about them enjoying their time in the spiral, as much as I care about my own.

It's a sense of entitlement at play imo. It's not 'just a game' it is more like a game arcade in which each person is on their own quests, playing their own game. One is playing game A, one is playing game B. A player shoves the person playing game A aside and takes the controls, is what happens when forced to battle monsters they're not even questing. I more than understand that some players don't think it's a big deal. Well, what other people think is a big deal varies widely - and it shouldn't be left up to the ones exploiting other players, to decide this.

My question was simple. People instead are concern trolling the topic to deny there is any issue - because they're unwilling to look at what other players feel.

As for the contention it would make streets too crowded: Well, people already repeatedly battle just to grind. It took me days to get in to fight the kraken because many do it just for fun. That's fine. But you all claim it is not a problem - then great, no one will use the option. But then you all claim everyone would use the option and no one could find a battle partner (untrue, because it doesn't stop BATTLE just battle CRASHING. It's as simple as ASK FIRST. Run into battle together. Quest together. Help each other - takes 5 seconds to ask first and there's always people on the sidewalks to ask.)

You said this would make the streets too crowded - untrue but why doesn't go to another realm work in that case as it does for me?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Liam Wyrmhammer on Aug 29, 2016 wrote:
Many times, I've finished off my enemies just as a new player joined. Their action caused another (invulnerable) enemy to pop into the ring, and made me wait additional rounds. In the low end of the game, this has caused my low health wizard to be defeated. What frustration!

Going to a low population realm helps a lot with this. The issue essentially never happens in dungeons.

But could this game be adjusted to stop this from happening? Barring other players from joining in a duel means that you are occupying a dueling ring while denying up to three other players the ability to use it. This means that an area with three rings, which normally supports up to a dozen players, now supports only three. Daily Assignment targets would get far more crowded as a result.

I suppose what could help with this is changing the way a new monster enters a ring. If all enemies are defeated while other players or monsters are waiting to enter, the active wizard(s) simply wins, does a victory dance, and becomes invulnerable for a brief time. A new match then immediately begins in the same ring.
Yes, this could help also (your last paragraph.) I've had people run in so last minute that the monster was basically dead and my av beginning to go invisible - then poof the battle started again.

I'm gonna put the lie to "this will cause crowding." First, why can't THEY go to other realms rather than purposely chase around the spiral for battles to crash? Why must it be their victims who have to continually flee, losing mana - or keep looking over their shoulder for battle crashers?

I have added so much time to my game trying to AVOID battle crashers and it doesn't stop them. That's because it's not warned against, there is nothing in the manual to discourage it and no option to protect against it. I recall MMPORGs that were ruined by PKs (player killers), and the hot debates online which basically the PKs said "that's how it is, tough." This "there is no problem, we can do what we want" stuff I'm hearing (not you) here, and in the game, reminds me of that "me, me" attitude.

Also, it's rarely the case that a street is *that* busy. As for 'it is meant to be used by more than one person' - not really, it *can* be used by more than one person. Nothing against rules or game about soloing. Also, again, people are confusing the issue: You can STILL battle together. My ONLY point is 'ask first' and since people refuse to, give us a way to protect ourselves.

It's not a matter of 'sharing' it's an action which totally disrupts and lengthens a total stranger's game. And anyone can 'share' just give them the right to say no. Purposely taking that option away is controlling and it is taking a kill they had no part in.

I'd say end the battle quicker, don't make it start the moment anyone new runs in, give the person there a chance to go without penalty, do something so that people don't continually exploit other players' kills this way. Not everyone has the same sense of right and wrong, so let us decide what our boundaries are. Let us enable NO to battle crashing up front.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You are the one who doesn't want to be a part of the MMORPG. That is why it's up to YOU to change realms if you want to avoid people. If you don't want to interact with other players it's very simple. As far as people figuring it out, I'd say the average person can figure out that opening the options menu and clicking on realms is pretty straight forward. There are 36 realms to choose from It's not hard to find one that isn't crowded. All of your examples are totally off point. It's NOTHING like crashing a game at a park. You are PLAYING a multiplayer online game. Everyone is part of the game already. The game has enough mechanisms in place to allow players to be somewhat isolated as it is. The last thing this game needs is more isolation of players. Maybe MMO's just aren't for you.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2013
SparkleTude on Aug 31, 2016 wrote:
Yes, this could help also (your last paragraph.) I've had people run in so last minute that the monster was basically dead and my av beginning to go invisible - then poof the battle started again.

I'm gonna put the lie to "this will cause crowding." First, why can't THEY go to other realms rather than purposely chase around the spiral for battles to crash? Why must it be their victims who have to continually flee, losing mana - or keep looking over their shoulder for battle crashers?

I have added so much time to my game trying to AVOID battle crashers and it doesn't stop them. That's because it's not warned against, there is nothing in the manual to discourage it and no option to protect against it. I recall MMPORGs that were ruined by PKs (player killers), and the hot debates online which basically the PKs said "that's how it is, tough." This "there is no problem, we can do what we want" stuff I'm hearing (not you) here, and in the game, reminds me of that "me, me" attitude.

Also, it's rarely the case that a street is *that* busy. As for 'it is meant to be used by more than one person' - not really, it *can* be used by more than one person. Nothing against rules or game about soloing. Also, again, people are confusing the issue: You can STILL battle together. My ONLY point is 'ask first' and since people refuse to, give us a way to protect ourselves.

It's not a matter of 'sharing' it's an action which totally disrupts and lengthens a total stranger's game. And anyone can 'share' just give them the right to say no. Purposely taking that option away is controlling and it is taking a kill they had no part in.

I'd say end the battle quicker, don't make it start the moment anyone new runs in, give the person there a chance to go without penalty, do something so that people don't continually exploit other players' kills this way. Not everyone has the same sense of right and wrong, so let us decide what our boundaries are. Let us enable NO to battle crashing up front.
Well, I think that if it's the turn in which the last mob is about to be killed, it should lock it. But Kingsisle has many available solutions to this problem, but in the end, its the players choice as to whether or not they choose to use these fixes.