Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Takes far too long to reach level cap.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 24, 2015
When level was capped way back in the beginning at lvl 60 it was fine. Now that it's all the way at 110 it is NOT fine. It takes a long time to level in this game and slow animations just drag out the long/tedious leveling process. There really needs to be a way implemented to get through the leveling process more quickly.

I came back to the game a while ago, after being away a long time, and started a new account. In the time I was gone it seems they massively boosted the max level throughout expansions. Not long after I started the leveling process Polaris was soon to come out. Starting fresh and going 1 - 110 is not something many new players are going to enjoy.

It has become an extreme grind and it is honestly rather lonely. The game feels like a solo game MOST of the time while leveling. Unless someone is at the same point in progression there isn't any point to playing together and almost all the content can be completed solo.If you do play with someone chances are you shouldn't bother keeping them as a friend to play with since next time you log in while they are on you will likely be on far different points.

So not only does the game begin to feel like a huge grind but I do not feel encouraged to play with others. I spent weeks and weeks playing and slowly I was working my way up. I finally got to 60 where all the waterworks action starts. You basically need to grind waterworks for a few days cause it literally gives the best gear for like 20 whole levels afterword. I believe my life wizard is at lvl 73 now and I just can't make myself play it anymore. The thought of grinding through quests for another 37 levels is extremely unpleasant. I actually stayed subbed for months after I stopped leveling cause I wanted the opportunity to come back eventually. I don't want to feel like I had done all that work and used up weeks worth of time playing the game just to stop playing entirely.

I've run into a wall of burn out. It's not just mild burn out after simply having played too much. My sub has been running for 7 whole months and I have not logged into the game once. That's 7 months of payed sub that I couldn't bring myself to return to the game I had committed so much to. I'm finally unsubbing cause there is no point to slowly (it's not that expensive) putting money toward a game I am not and no longer plan to play.

I guess my advise to Wizard101 is that you need to finally work on streamlining the leveling process with how many expansions there is now. Perhaps even do as most other games have and allow character boost. A lot of players want to make it to end game where all the action is currently happening but it takes too much time to get there. The lvling process is a tedious grind and, as I said, the way it's designed it often just feels like a solo game even though it's an MMO. Sadly, I doubt this will happen since it seems like it would take too much work for them to improve on lvling the way it is now. Something needs to be done.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Leveling is just fine even for completely new wizards. KI has always made it so you arn't overwhelmed with stuff and yea it may take awhile depending on your dedication but thats the point, the game is meant to go through at a casual pace and with the new elixer you can skip half of the game now (also the game started with a level 50 cap )

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
They added something to get through level process last patch. With the level 50 potion they added, half of the grind is instantly taken out of the equation. I wouldn't give up on wizard101 just yet. Their questlines are entertaining and the lore that goes with it always connects to something else. It could even hint at future expansions (not confirmed, just a theory I have.) If your that burned out, a break never hurts. Just remember the game that you've put 70+ hours in (no one could of gone that many hours and not enjoyed their experience.)

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
stratis9 on Aug 13, 2016 wrote:
When level was capped way back in the beginning at lvl 60 it was fine. Now that it's all the way at 110 it is NOT fine. It takes a long time to level in this game and slow animations just drag out the long/tedious leveling process. There really needs to be a way implemented to get through the leveling process more quickly.

I came back to the game a while ago, after being away a long time, and started a new account. In the time I was gone it seems they massively boosted the max level throughout expansions. Not long after I started the leveling process Polaris was soon to come out. Starting fresh and going 1 - 110 is not something many new players are going to enjoy.

It has become an extreme grind and it is honestly rather lonely. The game feels like a solo game MOST of the time while leveling. Unless someone is at the same point in progression there isn't any point to playing together and almost all the content can be completed solo.If you do play with someone chances are you shouldn't bother keeping them as a friend to play with since next time you log in while they are on you will likely be on far different points.

So not only does the game begin to feel like a huge grind but I do not feel encouraged to play with others. I spent weeks and weeks playing and slowly I was working my way up. I finally got to 60 where all the waterworks action starts. You basically need to grind waterworks for a few days cause it literally gives the best gear for like 20 whole levels afterword. I believe my life wizard is at lvl 73 now and I just can't make myself play it anymore. The thought of grinding through quests for another 37 levels is extremely unpleasant. I actually stayed subbed for months after I stopped leveling cause I wanted the opportunity to come back eventually. I don't want to feel like I had done all that work and used up weeks worth of time playing the game just to stop playing entirely.

I've run into a wall of burn out. It's not just mild burn out after simply having played too much. My sub has been running for 7 whole months and I have not logged into the game once. That's 7 months of payed sub that I couldn't bring myself to return to the game I had committed so much to. I'm finally unsubbing cause there is no point to slowly (it's not that expensive) putting money toward a game I am not and no longer plan to play.

I guess my advise to Wizard101 is that you need to finally work on streamlining the leveling process with how many expansions there is now. Perhaps even do as most other games have and allow character boost. A lot of players want to make it to end game where all the action is currently happening but it takes too much time to get there. The lvling process is a tedious grind and, as I said, the way it's designed it often just feels like a solo game even though it's an MMO. Sadly, I doubt this will happen since it seems like it would take too much work for them to improve on lvling the way it is now. Something needs to be done.
I'd rather have stuff to do on game than nothing. I literally have friends who are already maxed in all 6 wizards, have perfect Jewels, gear, and stats, and are just waiting now for Mirage to come out.

Crafted gear is better than Waterworks.

What I do before I start a new character is, I find a friend who is also making a new character, and then we quest together to the endgame. You should do that also, so you don't have to rely on random people who quest ahead.

It doesn't take long to level up, as I, and many other people, have gotten a character all the way to max in just two weeks. The worlds aren't as long as you consider them to be.

I don't know why people complain about worlds being too "long and tedious", when it's ironically those same people months later complaining that they have nothing to do.

Explorer
Feb 10, 2012
If leveling is that unpleasant for you, you probably just don't like the game as a whole.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Soul330 on Aug 14, 2016 wrote:
If leveling is that unpleasant for you, you probably just don't like the game as a whole.
Yep, this. With leveling-up MMOs like this, it's not the ending, but the journey that counts. Heck, that's how it is for pretty much every video game. I'm going to guess you need to either stop playing wiz or just come back after you've had a break to think about what you actually want out of a game.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
stratis9 on Aug 13, 2016 wrote:

Let me put a few things out there to think about:

1) Most people say the leveling is too easy; that you hit max level too fast. People literally stop questing when they hit max so they dont "waste experience".

2) yes, the game has got lonelier, in that there doesnt seem to be as many people where I am (regardless of level), but then I also use a server that is relatively quiet.

3) People acknowledge the waterworks or wintertusk gear is overpowered, but we also need to have that really good gear to strive for.

4) I totally get your burnout. When my first wizard, a fire, was in avalon, I almost walked away from the game because it seemed like every fight was a boss fight and he couldnt do them solo anymore. That, of course, was MY fault as my gear was junk, but then, I had nobody to quest with. I had a few good game friends, but I didnt want to HAVE to rely on them in order to play the game. What *I* did was shelf my fire wizard and started a death wizard. I had much more success and also at the same time, found a questing partner, found a VERY helpful facebook group that was growing in numbers, and with the help of those people, better understood the game. My knowledge isnt all encompassing, but I have learned TONS since then.

5) While I agree that the game can get long and drawn out, I also think they're doing things to shorten that up. The L100 spell for death was long.... really long..... write, edit, and publish your memoirs long...... wait for your prince to come kiss you and wake you up long. Then they changed how it did damage and now it's MUCH faster. We're asking them currently to do the same thing with other AoE spells. However, as slow as you think this game is, try Runescape with it's 33 separate skills you can max out at 99. Talk about a slogfest! I stopped playing that one YEARS ago, so I may be wrong about today's version of it

Survivor
Jul 14, 2016
Blaze Sunthorn on Aug 14, 2016 wrote:
I'd rather have stuff to do on game than nothing. I literally have friends who are already maxed in all 6 wizards, have perfect Jewels, gear, and stats, and are just waiting now for Mirage to come out.

Crafted gear is better than Waterworks.

What I do before I start a new character is, I find a friend who is also making a new character, and then we quest together to the endgame. You should do that also, so you don't have to rely on random people who quest ahead.

It doesn't take long to level up, as I, and many other people, have gotten a character all the way to max in just two weeks. The worlds aren't as long as you consider them to be.

I don't know why people complain about worlds being too "long and tedious", when it's ironically those same people months later complaining that they have nothing to do.
Two weeks? From 1-110? How? I've been playing for over a month and I'm still level 74. And I spend a lot of time playing.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, I like that there's a lot of content in the game. I just don't see how anyone can possibly max out a wizard in two weeks when there's so much questing now.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
ZeroScope1 on Aug 15, 2016 wrote:
Two weeks? From 1-110? How? I've been playing for over a month and I'm still level 74. And I spend a lot of time playing.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, I like that there's a lot of content in the game. I just don't see how anyone can possibly max out a wizard in two weeks when there's so much questing now.
You underestimate how deticated some people are to this game my friend

Explorer
Jan 19, 2014
Well, 2 weeks means he probably doesn't have the best gear or pet he could have. But I may be wrong

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
ZeroScope1 on Aug 15, 2016 wrote:

The record is 5 1/2 days according to KI. It's not really that hard to speed level if you have the help of a max level wizard. The first few worlds most battles can be finished first round by any max level. Going solo it takes me about 5-6 weeks playing every day 12-18 hours to max a wizard.