Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can't open second window

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
Hi Guys,

I want to dual box an account that i wanna make but i cant load a second wiz launcher with one game open, it says the common error of "Wizard101 is already running on your computer" is there someway to make it easier? I really want to quest to characters but since i cant get a second game open my goal is hard. So if you have any ideas, please help out, thanks!

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Hi, So you can only have your account open one at a time. (Doesn't matter if same or different computers) How you see or hear of people running Wizard101 in two windows is that they have TWO Wizard101 accounts. Good luck!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Install a second instance in a different folder. You can't open the same program twice, you need 2 separate copies running.

Defender
Aug 08, 2015
You won't be able to run Wiz on the same computer with two accounts. Unless you have another computer/laptop, you can't quest on two accounts using the same computer. That would be kind of cool though, being able to like port to each other to buy tc or something. But it would NOT be cool for your computer. :)

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Dakota LionHammer on Jul 16, 2016 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I want to dual box an account that i wanna make but i cant load a second wiz launcher with one game open, it says the common error of "Wizard101 is already running on your computer" is there someway to make it easier? I really want to quest to characters but since i cant get a second game open my goal is hard. So if you have any ideas, please help out, thanks!
You CANNOT run 2 wizards from the same account if that is what you are trying to do.

You have to go through the same process you used to create the first account BUT, you have to have another email account before you can create the second account. This has to be done for every additional account you want to create. After you have created the second email account, you can then create the SECOND Wizard101 account and link it to your current account to create a family of accounts.

After you have created the second account with new wizards, you will then be able to dual box.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Erica LifePetal on Jul 17, 2016 wrote:
You won't be able to run Wiz on the same computer with two accounts. Unless you have another computer/laptop, you can't quest on two accounts using the same computer. That would be kind of cool though, being able to like port to each other to buy tc or something. But it would NOT be cool for your computer. :)
Ah, either you are misinformed or we are not using the same terminology. You are correct in that you can not play on the SAME ACCOUNT at the same time (2 computers or otherwise) ie 2 characters on the same account with user name and passwords. However you can use the same computer to run two separate accounts as long as they are different accounts (ie different usernames and passwords) just log into one and then log into the other account and it works! (Well, your computer has to be able to handle it, but that is a different story).

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
exp613 is correct. You can run 2 account from the same computer as long as your computer can handle it. I and many of my friends have been doing it for a long time. I am running on a laptop with a second monitor attached so that I can have a full window on each. You just can't run 2 wizards from the same account.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You can quest on 2 accounts at the same time on the same computer. I used to do it with my son's account to help him farm. You need 2 separate accounts and 2 instances of Wizard101 installed in different locations on the computer. You need to turn off fullscreen mode on both accounts and play in windowed mode. Then you can click between the windows and play both at the same time.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Holy cow you guys, there is a TON of misinformation on here. As someone who actually dual boxes on an almost daily basis, here's a rundown:
  • You don't need to install Wiz twice. That's silly.
  • You need two separate accounts. You cannot log into the same account twice. Remember that you'll have to pay for both of them if you want membership/crowns on both accounts. Linking with a family account is always an option but I don't do that.
  • You can use one computer, or two. It just depends on what your computer can handle. My computer barely breaks a sweat running two accounts at once. Remember that your internet has to be able to handle it too. You'll be streaming data from two separate clients at the same time.
  • When dual boxing, you have to open each account one at a time. Log into your first account and wait for it to load. Once you hit play and the client loads, click on the wizard101 icon on your computer again and the login screen should come up again. Now is the time to log in with your second character.
  • It's easiest to keep both windows pretty small, which is a slight drawback, but I like to keep one in the top left corner of my screen and the other in the bottom right.

Defender
Aug 08, 2015
exp613 on Jul 18, 2016 wrote:
Ah, either you are misinformed or we are not using the same terminology. You are correct in that you can not play on the SAME ACCOUNT at the same time (2 computers or otherwise) ie 2 characters on the same account with user name and passwords. However you can use the same computer to run two separate accounts as long as they are different accounts (ie different usernames and passwords) just log into one and then log into the other account and it works! (Well, your computer has to be able to handle it, but that is a different story).
Ah okay, I had no idea of that. That's cool! Thanks :)