Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Moon Mechanic Idea

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 11, 2008
OK, so let's begin by assuming that Polymorphing, as it currently stands, is completely useless as the school's primary gimmick and needs to be reworked or replaced with a better, more useful scheme. I've been thinking lately how the Sun School just about dominates the decks of high-level wizards; just about anyone will tell you to get the damage-enchants once you can get them, and even then the Sun School is chock-full of other useful utility enchants such as Sharpened Blade and Potent Trap. Enchanting is a very useful mechanic and has just a ton of ways it can be implemented, so maybe, just maybe, it's time to spread out that utility to another school. There's just so many angles changing the properties of an individual spell can give. But how would you actually implement that for moon? Surely just making straightforward enchants is just too similar to the Sun school to be a good idea, no matter how you slice it. Just being a clone of Sun is far from good enough, but don't worry--this is where my idea actually comes into play.

Instead of switching out your deck and your wizards stats, Polymorphs (Or whatever the new mechanic would be named, but I'll stick with Polymorphs for now) temporarily enchant every card in your hand for their entire duration. That means, for six rounds, all of the cards in your hand come readily and pre-enchanted. For example, there could be a polymorph that gives all your attack spells +200 damage for as long as you are polymorphed. This could potentially stack up with Sun enchants, too. What's that you say? +500 Damage to a single spell is too much? Well, here's part of the idea where Moon could go where Sun would never think about venturing; Drawbacks. Straight-up Drawbacks. In our hypothetical new Polymorphs, you'll get your +200 damage to all damage spells, but in might come at the drawback of negatively affecting the other types of spells in your hand. For example, it might increase the pip cost of Blade spells by 1 or 2, or decrease their effectiveness by 10% (So a +35% fireblade becomes a +25% fireblade when it's cast during your Polymorph.)

In my mind, Polymorphs of this nature would work by directly improving some of the spells that you cast, like Sun Spells do, but while also directly harming the quality of others that the Polymorph doesn't want you to focus on. These Polymorphs could also be quite versatile, just like how the Sun School and enchanting itself is versatile. These Moon Polymorphs could also do things such as decrease the pip cost of a certain type of spell, (further) improve things such as blades and shields, or mutate spells in your hand (for example, the Fire Elemental Polymorph could have the effect of mutating your Stormzillas into enchantable Blazillas for as long as you cast it during the Polymorph.) I also like the idea of certain Polymorphs giving you things such as Temporary school mastery or causing all the spells in your hand to deal a different schools damage (So in that Fire Elemental example, that Polymorph could also give you the utility of converting all your other Storm Spells into Fire Damage, while also giving you the Fire Mastery needed to help you cast your Blazillas effectively.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
I used to use the moon school until I got a chance to reset my training points during a buy back and I do think they could be pretty useful (I still use them in tc form on occasion)

I think I can get behind the idea that you gain temporary school mastery while retaining your usual deck it could really shake things up and make the multi-school gear, secondary schools, and any off school spells that may get won from packs and loremaster actually worth while and would be an interesting next step. The drawbacks could remain the same as normal polymorphs being that your stats would change to suit the polymorph and you gain a weakness to opposing schools with the added fact that you could only get 3 rounds instead of the five or six you get with older polymorphs

There is also the option to get more of the shift type moon spells the down side of those being they are very expensive since no moon mastery amulet exists. Perhaps it can tie in to the temporary mastery polymorphs

It would also be interesting if we could do a baba yaga/ aero plains granny type spell to polymorph our enemies into something else that puts them at a disadvantage for several rounds. It would probably have to be limited the way reshuffles are just so it doesn't end up being spammed to death. (or just make it no pvp from the jump)