Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Extreme lag since the 2020 Spring update

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 08, 2019
Since the update game has been lagging.When it happens ı can't do anything.Even quit button doesn't work.All ı can do is alt + f4 . Is there a solution for this problem?

Administrator
mertyel on Apr 23, 2020 wrote:
Since the update game has been lagging.When it happens ı can't do anything.Even quit button doesn't work.All ı can do is alt + f4 . Is there a solution for this problem?
Hi mertyel,

What's your system specs?

Survivor
Apr 08, 2019
My system specs are

Intel core i5 7200U cpu @2.50 GHz 2.71 GHz
Ram 8 gb
64 bit
Windows 10
Graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 920MX

Before the update there was nothing wrong.Now i cant play properly :(

Survivor
Dec 20, 2018
Sparck on Apr 23, 2020 wrote:
Hi mertyel,

What's your system specs?
I'm not OP, but I've been having the same issue with these specs (which should run the game easily with no trouble):

i5 7600k
Geforce GTX 1070 8gb
8gb hyperx fury ram
Samsung SSD

Survivor
Aug 11, 2011
This has been happening to me too! I thought I was the only one. My friend and I are having extreme lag issues where loading screens take forever, losing connection, and when roaming streets, it'll push me back due to the connection being lost. I've gotten into so many battles when logging back on even though I exited on the sidewalk. It took at least ten minutes for ANY loading screen.

I had no issues before the update.

Survivor
Apr 08, 2019
Today i tried to see how long I can play at most and saw that my maximum playing time without being disconnected is 31 minutes , is it the same for you guys

Survivor
Aug 11, 2011
mertyel on Apr 25, 2020 wrote:
Today i tried to see how long I can play at most and saw that my maximum playing time without being disconnected is 31 minutes , is it the same for you guys
Yep. I'll have to time myself, but I know that it's a short period of time from when I log in so. It's so frustrating. It makes it impossible to play since all it does is disconnect, lag, etc.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2011
Hi,
I would like to add something to this post about the lag issues and with connection.

My game gets stuck in loading screen, mostly when game's been running for hours. I remember we used to get a message for this "game lost connection, maybe playing too long". But now this happens always when loading screen and with no warning. if I press esc it shows the window to quit game but doesn't work.

Also, and not sure if is related, because also happened to me from before update. when i attend my plants (couch potatoes) game lags and can't touch or click anything until a good one or two minutes. Today this happened with evil magma peas and lost connection completely (game no responding).

Survivor
Jun 02, 2018
Hello,

I've been playing Wizard101 for quite some time now and recently I've been experiencing some lag/delays on my game. I was wondering are there any possible solutions of fixing this? Maybe other people are experiencing these types of problems as well?

I currently play on my brand new PC and I'm sure there isn't any problem regarding that since it's up to date with its updates.

Survivor
Feb 24, 2019
I have been having similar problems as everyone has been describing on these posts, however everywhere in empyrea i begin to lag and glitch everywhere, im stuck in loading screens forever, very frequently lose connection to realm, not being able to enchant spells with during card selection, when i select a card it doesn't play it when i go to cast even though im not stunned, and ill freeze in battle for around two rounds, all of these things i've said have been happening every once in a while in the past worlds before empyrea but ever since i've begun questing in empyrea its beginning to become impossible to quest due to all of the connection issues and lagging, is anyone else experiencing the same problem as me in empyrea?

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
I am also experiencing some lagging that is unusual.
Mostly lagging in in my garden and
weirdly lagging in the bazaar especially while trying
to buy things.
It does seem the longer I play the more that I have
general lag, till finally the game kicks me or just stops
playing and freezes.

I really wish they could fix this. It is also my feeling that
the more complex your computer system ....the more it happens.
I can get on an older computer and not have these problems.
Go Figure. This is not actually a new problem-(except the lagging in The Bazzar) I have sent many a customer service ticket in the years past.

Please Please, someone fix this.
Thank You, Scarlet ShadowStone

Survivor
Apr 27, 2012
Lately I've experienced a lot of lag, connection issues and multiple freezes since the update. After playing for a little while, the game will literally freeze the screen and I'm unable to do anything because I can't see what's happening. I can hear the sound playing in the background, even if the game freezes in a battle I can hear the sounds of mousing over the spells but the screen just freezes every so often and all I can do is close the game and log back in. Its extremely frustrating to be in a boss fight and it freeze out of nowhere and I'm forced to close the game and log back in and start over again. Not sure what's going on. Never happened before recently.

If system specs are in question these are it:
Win10 Pro with the latest updates installed
Intel i7 4790
GTX 1070
16 GB of RAM

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I wonder if the textures are more detailed and other content added a lot to the viewer-side download? We have to realize all those textures on our side, and if it's all new, then the first time our computer encounters it, might take a while for our computer to become familiar with all the new things.

I wonder if it will improve after that has happened?

It was a benefit of the game having simpler graphics than most current games...no lag, which was wonderful. If they try to 'upgrade' textures and so on it might be slower to refresh on our end.

Survivor
Apr 27, 2012
Ok, I'm beyond aggravated. I just completed the Trident Boss for Empyrea Part 2 and as I went into the next area to "Protect the Chaos Heart" the game froze and got stuck on a loading screen. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and it did nothing. I had to close to the game PRAYING that I could click resume on the sigil, but after I logged back in, I saw no resume on the sigil, no dungeon recall. I'm beyond irritated at these connection issues and freezing issues! Am i now forced to just do the fight again? (I really don't want to since its such a pain)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Are servers costly?

I noticed a lot of the (usually the more expensive to play, unlike this game) game apps do not store things on their servers, so that if a person's device crashes they are out of luck. Nothing transfers.

I noticed a lot of websites that become popular do not always upgrade their server storage capability commensurate with new userships.

Maybe they need more servers or storage? They upgraded and added a lot of new textures so as we download all of it on our graphics card, or a complex animation sequence begins (cut scene after, say, a battle victory), our computers might overload and crash.

Yes if it's making people redo battles it could be an issue.

BTW I often have trouble with the message boards in a similar way - my replies get eaten with a 502 error. Could be a problem on my side, though.

Survivor
May 19, 2019
Along with all of the previously posted messages on this thread, I have been experiencing heavy lag while trying to do pretty much anything in this game. I've started and restarted the game and my computer multiple times and deleted and downloaded W101 at least 5 times ever since it started happening (about a week ago). Nothing I've tried or searched for on the internet has been any help, this is the only page I have found that seems to have other people with problems similar to mine and from around relatively the same time.

Some of the problems i have come across are:

- Once I hit "play" on the character selection screen, the whole game freezes, forcing me to close the game and try again

- Entering a dungeon, starting a battle, teleporting, gardening, (almost anything I do) results in the game lagging to the point where the card i select, or action i input, actually happens 15-30 minutes later - after listening to the music and staring at a frozen screen for that time...

This has been extremely frustrating as I have been enjoying Wizard101 quite a lot lately and it's been suppressing a lot of boredom after the lockdown from covid-19. Pay-to-play games are already painful enough to pay for. I have higher standards for them given that you never stop paying for them. To have the game acting up this bad and for so long not fixed feels like a big rip off. I paid for a month membership and for 1/4 of that month I haven't even been able to play...

I have a steady internet connection with 40-60mbps download speed and a 20-25mbps upload speed, and a gaming setup i have spent beyond enough money on to run a game such as Wizard101 as I have been, completely trouble-free for the past few months.

If someone over at KingsIsle sees this, and could give me any information it would be much appreciated, and if the problem isn't able to be resolved, i was curious as to where i could make an inquiry about a refund for my past month's subscription if that would be possible..?

- Jacob DeathWalker

Survivor
Oct 14, 2019
I'm having the same issues with the above. I can't even play for more than 5 minutes before the loading page freezes and I have to exit.

I also ran into another problem where I would join Team Up and if I leave the zone and port home, I'm still in Team up but if I port to the commons or any other zone from my house the Team Up removes me from the que and it disappears. I can only do Team Ups by staying in the zone.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2011
To me that they tried to fix it today, because the issue is worse.

The loading screen seems like is loading a bit faster but right after that, the game is not responding. If I click to go home, or quit, or get a quest, hand in a quest, nothing. totally freezes.

This last time, I waited longer and I have been able to get it back without quit game. Had the message "connecting to server" and for the first time it actually got connected again. WEll except that it went to wizard selection screen and can't click on any wizard. It does not work. so at the end I have to close game and load it again!

If this is going on, I will be afraid of changing locations, porting, going home in case game freezes or disconnect me. I take longer dealing with those issues than actually playing. Gets tiring to be honest.

This problem needs to get fixed. as they mentioned before, we pay a lot of money to enjoy a game, not to deal with bugs, and glitches all the time. It is enough already.

Explorer
Oct 04, 2013
I have always had lag issues while gardening, KI has never condoned stacking so I just deal with that.
And I have had a little lag on and off for years, but past few days its gotten so bad I'm afraid to do big dungeons with a team I'll freeze up and have to reload.
I was playing sorcery stone game in kris and it froze up for the third time, and that's why I'm writing this

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Hello all,
I am having a terrible time trying to get the game to work for me, and was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem. When I log in, the game begins to immediately desync (everything stops working and I get the"broken chain" symbol). I can't get anything done because once this desync starts, it just keeps doing it over and over until the only thing I can do is quit the game via task manager. The game has been laggy for me for a while, but not to this extreme. This "extreme lag" started today. I have restarted my PC a few times, updated anything that needed updating, restarted the game multiple times, and nothing has worked.

Is anyone else having this problem? My system specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel core i75820k, liquid cooled (nothing is even coming close to overheating)
Ram: 16 gig
Gpu: Nvidia GeForce 980TI
Motherboard: Asus x99 pro

Thanks!

Explorer
Oct 04, 2013
The grumpy gobbler game is not displaying scores anymore and this one will freeze up to, twice in past few days.
Hopefully this helps you get this sorted out soon.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Along with extreme lag, I have had server disconnects, loading screens locking to the point that the only way to get out of it is to x out of game. This gets frustrating when trying to train pets or run a dungeon. I have never had the kinds of problems I am having now when I was using XP OS.

My current system specs are:

Radeon Software Version - 17.12
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon(TM) R2 Graphics
Memory Size - 80 MB
Memory Type - DDR4
Core Clock - 600 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 4 GB
CPU Type - AMD E2-9000e RADEON R2, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G

KI PLEASE fix these issues before doing anymore new game updates.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2011
I just wanted to say that today, I have been playing for a few hours and I did not have any issues.
Played two accounts, ported at the same time, even sometimes marked area with both wizards and teleported fast twice. And no issues at all.
Just wanted to let wizard know, if they tried to fix it. it worked for me... so far

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
Game has serious lagging issues, especially on the loading screens. Literally everyday I get the chain icon for faulty connection. Did not do this before the update.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2012
Previously I have had similar issues to those above, but over the last two days I haven't gotten any "lost connection" chains, the game simply becomes unplayable. I've let it sit for over an hour to see if it is remedied, but it stays frozen. I've entered a ticket, but I've also been wondering if anyone else is having this problem, and so far it seems like its common. Hope I can play soon!