Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Changes We Need to See in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 25, 2016
Wizard101 is a game that I continuously keep coming back to with my friends. We honestly enjoy the game and have a lot of fun playing it together, although there are a few things that we noticed needed some revision. Wizard101 has been around for a very long time, 12 years to be exact, and there have been great additions since release. Although with time, Game Design, Game Philosophies, and the audience desires may change. Below are some aspects of the game that we feel should be discussed and visited by not just the Dev Team, but also the community.
Warning: The highest level character I have is in the 80’s and have leveled multiple characters into the 50’s. I have very little experience in the PvP field and do not know how Shadow Spells feel ingame. These topics won’t be greatly visited because of my lack of knowledge. I still do encourage discussion regarding PvP and Shadow Spells on this thread though.

Long Story Short Proposed Changes:
Make AoE Spells Affect All Targets at Once: Love the spell animations, but a 45 second Forest Lord gets old after the 100th cast.
More Variety Needed and Balance Changes: Some spells are too good, bad, or some are too niche to ever use. There are polymorph for spells, why not teach us them early in the game?
Spellement/Spellwrighting Changes: Amazing system but please make them farmable and attainable for all levels. This is one section I’d want everyone to visit.
Increase Difficulty or Add Two Different Difficulty Modes for Dungeons: Some players find that a challenge to overcome is much more enjoyable.
Pet Changes (Specifically May Cast): Go from luck to balanced triggered events. No more pocket Life School wizards.
Miscellaneous: Small changes that don’t fit into the above mentioned topics.

Below is each section discussed in further detail.

Make AoE Spells Affect all Targets at Once
Like I’ve stated above, the animations for most spells are amazing and love the creativity of them. Although some spells can take a much more time than needed.
I believe that the later level spells received this treatment already, so why are the lower ranked spells not getting any love? I understand that there are animation changes needed, but these changes would be loved. Questing in the low level would go along faster encouraging players to have multiple different characters.
Specific Solutions: Spells like Blizzard wouldn’t change much in aesthetic. Although a spell like Forest Lord, which is infamous for it’s duration, may need a completely new animation. Instead, Forest Lord could come up with the trees, instead of summoning one at a time, and then slams the ground creating an earthquake dealing damage to all targets.
Note: Please include 4 or 5 Pip AoE attacks for Life and Death. It would make it much more enjoyable to play those schools in the early game.

More Variety Needed and Balance Changes
Not the Balance School being changed, just buffs, nerfs, and reworks.
A.) There are hundreds of spells in this game, although only a moderate percentage are consistently accessible to the player. For example, there are polymorph spells, specifically the ones that change a spell into another element. With the simple addition of giving lower level players the option to train into these spells, it allows them to use the spells they’ve obtained from other schools with their Training Points effectively. This adds variety to the game as different spells will be casted.
Specific Solutions: Polymorphing Spells is taught from an astral teacher in Ravenwood at a low level. There are a list of spells, mostly damaging spells, that can be taught for Training Points. Number tweaking and balancing may be needed with this change.
B.) With these spells that are accessible to players, some spells specifically are never used or always being used. Players usually respond better to the idea of buffing the weaker aspects to make it competitive to the stronger spells. So rather than nerfing most spells to make others used more often, buff/rework the weak ones! There are many spells but I’ll cover only a few.
Specific Solutions:
Snow Drift - Make it so the stolen HoT resets so you get the full 3 rounds.
Donate Power - Change to 1 or 2 pips. Or increase the number of pips given to 3.
Cooldown - Rework it so it adds an additional turn to lasting effects, like Auras and/or HoTs, in addition to its current effect.
Change how Spellwrighting is currently being implemented.
HoT = Heal Over Time

Spellement/Spellwrighting Changes
Honestly, I wanted to come back to the game when this was introduced. The idea to have your spell be unique compared to other members of your school is the best idea since mounts and the Pet Kiosk. Although I’m afraid that the way that Spellwrighting is currently being implemented makes it extremely unfair and unfun. To only be able to grind Rank 1 Spellements at level 100+ dungeons and very specific bosses is like dangling a steak in front of the player with no chance of getting it. (Also making it so you can purchase them through packs is a good marketing strategy, although this makes it extremely pay to win and not fun in the slightest.) Implementing Spellwrighting so all players can take advantage of it would add diversity and strategy to the game. If you’ve leveled up a lower rank spell, you’re more likely to include it into your deck for future levels. At the current state of the game, after you get your next ranked spell, you’re more than likely going to ditch the old ones.
Potential Solution: Each minion, maybe only elite minions, at specific levels can only grant Spellements of their rank and only for their school. Although this chance is extremely small (we’re taking like 1/400 chance or something). Any Boss also can drop Spellements of their rank and school, but a better chance (Like 1/300). They also have a small chance of dropping a Spellement from another school, although this chance is very small (Probably 1/450).

Increase difficulty or Add Two Different Difficulty Modes for Dungeons
Personally, the replay value of the game includes it’s difficulty and if I can perform tasks in a reasonable time frame. I know that there are some very challenging dungeons within worlds, like Kensington Park in Marleybone. Although dungeons in the mainline quest could benefit from a more challenging option. Whether the player has a higher chance of obtaining the rarier gear, there is additional loot only in Hard Mode, or no bonus is up to the Dev Team. The option for a consistent challenge could make a 5th play through much more interesting and dynamic.
Specific Solutions: At the beginning of each dungeon, with the message that mentions how long the dungeon will be and the rules of leaving, there is an option to make the dungeon Normal or Hard in difficulty. Normal difficulty are current dungeons, as Hard difficulty introduces higher health minions and bosses. Bosses may start with more pips in a fight, and may actually use spells at or near the rank that they are. If implemented, I would start from Wizard City and up. If you’re worried about farming, maybe cap the amount of times a player can enter a Hard Mode dungeon within a 24 hour timeframe.

Pet Changes
This section is quite the controversial one. Currently, pet’s May Cast talents have specific triggers and then a chance to cast the spell. Although this randomness is the portion that’s unfavored. I’ve been in dungeons where we do not need a healer because everyone’s pet has May cast Fairy and Unicorn. As someone who’s gotten to level 70 as life, I sometimes feel like my healing roll is obsolete cause the team is getting lucky with the may casts.
Potential Solution: Rather than having RNG decide, why not make the chance 100%. BUT the may cast may only be used a specific amount in a fight. For example: Fairy Friend triggers the first time the wizard has 50% hit points. It only triggers the first time and no more after that.
Note: I’m not sure how viable healing pets are in PvP but I do know how annoying they can be. They act like a pocket healer that’s very difficult to deal with.

Miscellaneous
A.) A way to check your stats while in combat. At the very least just seeing your Character tab.
B.) Add the option to have Level requirements for Team Up. No more low level characters entering higher level instances.
C.) Zoom out the camera a bit more when enemies are taking damage so we can see how much damage we deal to larger creatures.
D.) Add an additional Place Marker to teleport to. We can now place two markers and teleport between whichever one. (You could add like a small quest as this being the reward.)
E.) Be able to search specific Pet Talents for a specific pet. I usually spend a longer period of time than I should be looking for one talent on a specific pet.
F.) A craftable energy potion that restores a portion of your Energy. With Fishing, Pet Training, and Gardening consuming the same resource, juggling it all is extremely difficult.
G.) Make monstrology easier to use for all schools rather than just for Myth. I believe every spell is a Myth class card, only allowing Myth Students to use them effectively. Maybe make it where each monster’s element is what school can use them most efficiently.

Summary
Wizard101 is one of my favorite Childhood games, and one of the few games I consistently come back to. The suggested changes are just some aspects of the game I wished improved or at least looked at. If you have any sort of suggestions or wish to discuss the topics I mentioned in this post, feel free to post it below. A collection of minds working towards a shared goal is better than one!

Survivor
Feb 16, 2020
Just wanna give this a little signal boost here.

This game is one of those that people have grown up with and enjoyed, I think, and has a lot of nostalgia factor for a lot of people. That's why I think changes like these would be super cool to implement, too.

And, for those people who prefer the game the way it was, there is always the option of a potential "Classic Mode". It would be great to play this game through a different lens as someone who's already done the first main storyline and would be excited to see advancements to keep me coming back and being a member.

As a player and supporter, I'm down to try to get this ball rolling!