Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Boss Gear, Crown gear or Bazaar gear?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 24, 2008
Hi,

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask but I have a couple of questions. What is the best way to get top wizard gear, in-game store/bazaar, crown shop or farming bosses? Are the wizard gear based on one not the the other? For example hat A can only be dropped from the certain boss, cant be bought in a crown shop and vice versa for the in game shops and bazaar also. I haven't played in a long time and decide to get back into the game. I decided to start over from scratch. I had a level 60 fire wizard, but now I am 31. I wanted to use crown shop but it didn't make sense if I leveled up then it would become useless looking at other items that has more benefits. I was really eyeing the gear that came with cards, is it only in the crown store or is it dropped as well? Also are items dropped based on your level? Ill be farming and ill get items that are level 30, can higher level items also drop like level 35 or 40?

Administrator
soulflight900 on Jan 9, 2020 wrote:
Hi,

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask but I have a couple of questions. What is the best way to get top wizard gear, in-game store/bazaar, crown shop or farming bosses? Are the wizard gear based on one not the the other? For example hat A can only be dropped from the certain boss, cant be bought in a crown shop and vice versa for the in game shops and bazaar also. I haven't played in a long time and decide to get back into the game. I decided to start over from scratch. I had a level 60 fire wizard, but now I am 31. I wanted to use crown shop but it didn't make sense if I leveled up then it would become useless looking at other items that has more benefits. I was really eyeing the gear that came with cards, is it only in the crown store or is it dropped as well? Also are items dropped based on your level? Ill be farming and ill get items that are level 30, can higher level items also drop like level 35 or 40?
This is the place, welcome soulflight900!

Lot of great questions here on gameplay tips and strategies I'm sure the community can better answer.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
soulflight900 on Jan 9, 2020 wrote:
Hi,

Welcome back,

Allow me to fill you in on the current farming meta, here's where you want to get the good stuff.

Levels 1-29: basically just making due with what is in the bazaar every 5 levels until you hit level 30.

Level 30: Talk to Professor Drake about starting the Immortal Games questline, its a 3 part quest line with lots of good gear dropped by the bosses. The first leg is Mount Olympus where you will face Zeus, get a party together and farm him until you have a complete set of Zeus gear, lock that gear set, it will last you into Celestia.

Level 56: If you do any crafting and you go to Wintertusk there's a very lovely set of gear you can craft, that not only give you good stats but also a few nice utility cards attached to those pieces. Not everyone does this, but having one high level wizard who has easier access to the necessary gold and ingredients, I usually make these sets for my lower levels wizard so they have something waiting for them prior to Waterworks.

Level 60: Here you have a choice you can either farm Waterworks (You'll be notified by a Wizard City NPC from Triton Avenue, I forget which) or House of Scales (I can't quite remember but either Prospector Zeke or Alhazred will notify you when you get to level 60). Waterworks is a staple gear set good in most scenarios from Celestia onward, but it lacks dramatically in the Critical rating department. Most of the people who farm house of Scales are playing your offensive schools, mainly fire, storm, myth, maybe death and the occasional balance or ice wizard seeking to do more damage.

Level 70: Crafted gear is Zafaria is not bad, and might actually last you a little while. But again it easier to use a higher level wizard with easier access to the stuff you'll need, and then craft gear for any lower level wizards you may have, that is if you don't want to try and farm their gear for them. Back to Aquila to face Poseidon. Not a lot of people farm Poseidon, but its good for some set ups, the pierce is nice if you play a balance wizard, but otherwise you may feel free to skip farming him.

Bellow are links to Final Bastion's gear guide articles regarding the Waterworks set, Poseidon's set, and the House of Scales sets just copy and paste them they should work, if not google them. I found them to be fairly informative and you can see all the gears stat blocks which is nice.

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-gear-jewels-mounts/wizard101-level-60-gear-guide-house-of-scales-and-lower-zigazag/

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-gear-jewels-mounts/aquila-l70-poseidon-gear-vs-waterworks/

Level 90: Back to Aquila for the last time to face Hades in Tartarus, again you don't have to fight him. But if you want to be in a really good spot to do Darkmoor then I would recommend acquiring a piece or two of this gear. Hades has two sets one is basically an improvement of the Waterworks set and the other is an offensive set. Hitting classes like and fire and storm usually prefer the offensive set but be forewarned it doesn't provide much in the way of resistance. The Improved Waterworks set is still pretty decent so do not feel bad if Hades drops you a piece of that. There are other pieces dropped from that fight which can be really good for very specific set ups but that would require a very in depth explanation, easier just to look up the articles for it if that interests you.

Here's Final Bastion's guide for the Hades gear. Just copy paste or look it up.

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-gear-jewels-mounts/wizard101-hades-gear-guide/

Level 100: You should receive a message from Professor Drake to speak to him about dealing with Malistaire the Undying. I might consider reading a few guides or watching a walkthrough for Darkmoor so you're not walking in blind. Then get a very strong team who are good at communicating and farm Darkmoor that set will tie you over for almost all of the third story Arc. A lot of people farm Darkmoor so you shouldn't have too big an issue finding a team. There are multiple sets to be acquired, most people I think go for the Malistaire set but I've seen people use the other sets for different set ups. This is probably the best time to stitch gear, if you want to, just because you're going to have this set for a long time.

Here's Swordroll's guide for Darkmoor gear, I rather liked it here's the link.

https://www.swordroll.com/2019/06/darkmoor-gear-drop-guide-wizard101.html

Level 130: This is where my expertise ends for level 130 there are only two gear sets with surpass the Darkmoor set, and that's the Paradox set and the Dragoon's set. For the Paradox set you'll have to farm the last dungeon in Empyrea, and the Dragoon's set is a crafted set in the Wizard City underground from the 2019 fall update. You'll need to be a Visionary Crafter I believe to make this set so make sure you do your crafting quests. This set gives several utility cards like mass trap which can be very useful. This set will take some time to complete so its very much an endgame grind to craft this set. I feel a lot of people tend to simply mix and match Paradox and Dragoons based upon which piece is better stat wise, but having a full set of either isn't a bad thing.

Anyway here's Final Bastions take on the Paradox gear, and Swordroll's article on the Dragoon's armor.

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-gear-jewels-mounts/empyrea-level-130-paradox-gear/

https://www.swordroll.com/2019/11/wizard101-level-130-gear-catacombs-crafted.html

And that's pretty much it. Now idk about the Pvp situation of any of these gear sets, Pvp is another animal altogether, but in the current meta this is the advise I give to those who ask. Anyway best of luck to you, hope this helped. See you in the Spiral.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2008
Thank you so much for your detailed response! I really appreciate it. The last time I played had to be in 2010, with my level 60 fire wizard, I was in that water world, if that is Celestia struggling. I'm currently in Marleybone. I actually postponed the quest I got from drake in cyclops alley just to do other mission to level up to be able to get ready for that quest. But i'm going to get right to it. Also for the crown shop, was is the best thing to buy there? If you can get better gear outside the crown shop. Is it the pets? mounts? snacks? etc.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
most people will tell you to farm or craft your gear.. I have always gone with card pack gear.. It has worked for me and my wizards, most of whom are max. I solo a lot also.. Hope this helps

Survivor
Nov 24, 2008
When is the best time to use the crown shop?