Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

People bailing out of Foetid Crypt

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 16, 2012
I am struggling to complete Foetid Crypt dungeon because people keep on leaving after the first battle.

Survivor
May 19, 2011
Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
Do Not expect to get this done anytime soon. This is a choke point in the quest line. The final boss and his minions are severely over-powered for the casual player and since the loot drops are so miserable the effort to push past the first two fights is not worth the time. Nerf the fight or increase the drops dramatically!

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
SpellWeaver11 on Mar 1, 2020 wrote:
Do Not expect to get this done anytime soon. This is a choke point in the quest line. The final boss and his minions are severely over-powered for the casual player and since the loot drops are so miserable the effort to push past the first two fights is not worth the time. Nerf the fight or increase the drops dramatically!
Can confirm it's a road block, likely on the level Medulla was after his first nerf. However, this is but the tip of the iceberg - quest a bit further down and you get the abomination known as the Renegade Druid, who is at probably the same level of a roadblock as the Titan was pre-nerf. Would not recommend even trying to go through the rest of the bosses for a while - just run Detritus over and over.

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
I could have sworn that i read somewhere in a producers letter that Kings Isle staff understood what players wanted. I understand making things challenging but making them impossibly difficult or forcing players to rerun them a million times can't be what they are intending. About 1% of the total player base would want a boss as hard as the last boss is in this dungeon. that's not listening to the player base at all. I hear more griping about people giving up or wanting them to bring back an old exploit that they could farm for countless hours before i hear about the game not being challenging enough. Was that producers letter just a bunch of hot air or was there something behind it that got forgotten. They went back to giving dismal drops or impossible fights that nobody wants to do. sometimes, as in this dungeon, they combine that effort and make it even less fun to run. Fix the dungeons or just stop making new runs. People give up after awhile. Bring back the fun. Is that really too much to ask?

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
What I have been reminding people of lately is that back in the day, if you had a group of players who were semi-competent, they had an equal chance of downing most bosses on the first attempt without encountering utter defeat. It was actually quite fun because winning as a team is fun in its own rite. Now, zoom forward to today and what we have is that on that first encounter with any randomly chosen boss is utter defeat and not just defeat but defeat within 1 or 2 rounds of starting. They send you out of the dungeon with your tail between your legs utterly destroyed. This is NOT fun and it gets old hoping to find a boss that doesn't behave like this. I understand the cheater methodology and it's uses but making each and every encounter have some sort of wild cheat system when the players don't have any access to that system at all is quite lame. Make the game fun again so we can enjoy another 10 years and you can still make a decent profit from it. quit relying on mechanisms that enrich you but frustrate the players. make it fun and make them WANT to enrich you on their terms.

Survivor
Mar 27, 2009
Just finished Foetid Crypt quest. Seems if you get defeated (I was one-hit with over 5,000 in damage), flee and come back, rejoining the group, has a different effect than normal. I was back in the battle for two rounds before the quest was completed, I even cast a helpful attack spell myself. I did not get credit for completing the quest. Apparently if you get defeated, you need to be healed, or your done. I will get on another team, and try again.

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
Now that Greyflame's drops have been nerfed and the glitch has been made less productive, this is no longer a bottleneck. Smart wizards will just run the full abandoned house instance to farm for reagents, which works for everyone.

There's still a problem with wizards fleeing dungeons. Even with the new Team Up improvements, I am routinely running into wizards who do not complete dungeons, even if you ask them if they want full early on. The only solve is to get to know your wizard friends and know whom you can rely on, or to join a Discord where reputations can be gleaned and questions can be asked prior to teaming up. Rating wizards on an Uber-type system is just too fraught with bigger possible problems. But believe me, I've wanted to drop a one-star rating on a wizard on a number of occasions lately!

The spiral needs to stop nerfing its tough battles. I do NOT agree that every competent crew should be able to win every dungeon on the first try. Ugh, how boring the spiral would be without a challenge! As it stands already, the nerfs of Medulla, Malistaire, etc. have made winnable fights too easy. Having said that, my issue with Renegade Druid is that the boss and minions don't follow logical game mechanics. Pips materialize out of thin air, every minion hits critical, random trap cleansing, etc. Further, the run requires a very specific set of skills that cannot be replicated by some schools, which precludes some wizards from easily finding a team.

After 11 years of playing, I finally joined a Discord last year and the difference is amazing. I highly recommend it.

Explorer
Feb 21, 2010
If people want challenging bosses then make them gold key bosses so they can electively be attempted. Putting bosses in the main story just bottlenecks the story. I still haven't finished the final boss in empyrea yet or the beastman fight club and will more than likely not do the devourer. I don't like being so defeated in any fight that it just makes it demoralizing. Write a story, develop it into playable content, make it completable that has mini bosses that drop gold keys or keep the gold key drops in darkmoor, then add gold key bosses for loot drops. making each new area harder than the last will eventually lead to some impossible fight that can only be won with a specialized crew which is almost the case as it is.

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
But if you never do the difficult fights, and they truly have valuable loot like great gear, you will never level up because you will forever be underpowered.

The tough fights are not as tough with a little attempting and strategizing with your fellow wizards. All the fights you mention seem impossible at first, until we learn and discover strategies and roles. Devourer for example, can be completed in 4-5 rounds. If you don't know how that's done, google it or hang out at the sigil and ask.

If all the fights were easy, a whole new world with all its cool new creatures and story—literally years worth of programming—will be over in a few days. And you'll be bored waiting 11-23 months for something new.

Some of the most fun I have in this game is beating an impossible boss. It's so much sweeter than just another win.