Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best Solo School

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 10, 2015
What school do you believe is best to solo tough bosses?

I emphasize tough bosses because all schools can handle easier content.

Any strategy(ies) you wish to share with the best solo school would also be appreciated (along with any gear/pets etc. necessary for your tactics).

If you would like to name more than one school, please give some indication of how much better you find the top choice to be than your other choices.

Basically, please tell me your go-to class (along with any related strategy you like to employ) when you want to take out that tough boss on your own with confidence.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

P.S. Caveats

1. I know it would be faster to team up, or play with friends.
2. Please don't suggest to simply play my favorite class - I already do. My interest here is to discover the best class to comfortably solo tough bosses. All classes are definitely not created equal.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
I find death to be the best school for me to solo hard bosses with because you can heal with some of your attacks.. i blade up, feint up and hit.. just do that until the boss is defeated. On the really hard ones, i always teamed up..

Survivor
Feb 11, 2011
i would maybe recommend death as a solo school because they take health and heal themselves when attacking most times so that's a good reason right there and also there attacks arent that bad and their health isnt to bad either so i would say death is is the best solo school for those few reasons and another ok one would maybe be ice because they have a lot of health and a good amount of resist for example the waterworks gear the hat robe boots give 1040 health and thats just the 3 main things of gear and they also give 34 resist total from the same 3 pieces and the big reason you might not want to is because they have really weak attacks and if you like to do a decent amount of damage then that might not be good for you i also heard some people like fire to solo because they are the second most offensive school in the game and have better health than storm which some people enjoy but these might be what i recommend but in the end the option is up to you hope this helps

and for a death pet i would recommend brainy assistant cause he has good talent likes universal resist talents and i would also recommend roughly the same for an ice pet some resist talents and possibly health talents? i dont play ice so i cant recommend a good pet for ice

also forgot to mention myth might be a good school to solo because they summon minions and those can be really helpful but i hope this helps

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Few schools will come to mind when it comes on to most ideal soloing school. Those are:

Other schools such as , can hold there own when soloing too, but is a bit more tricky to use than some.

Then finally, schools such as and can be difficult to solo with as they are not necessarily intended to have a lot of hitting power. This changes within the later stages of the game though, especially the case with

Now, it depends on how you would describe a tough boss.
Some can call cheating bosses tough.
Some may probably say a particular school with high health tough.
Etc.
So, as you can see, the list goes on.

However, one thing I do encourage is to do adequate research on foes before facing them. You can access data on such foes by visiting the central page; specifically the wiki section. Here, you can use the titles to the left of the page to locate the particular boss you are facing and learn all about him/her/it.

But generally, a rule of thumb is to usually have a small, concise deck. - This should prevent you from frequently discarding and instead using well placed cards to end the duel quickly; even in the case of slower hitting schools such as

Your deck should have spells such as enchants, blades, feints and even a few treasures such as TC Blades and Feints.

A solid AoE (Enchanted) as bosses tend to have minions usually does the trick.

Of course, for this to effectively work, your gear must be on par.

A solid pet helps greatly as well.

Explorer
Oct 29, 2011
I would say Death is the best solo school, followed closely by Fire and Storm. Each of these schools have major advantages in solo questing in certain levels.

Death is very strong in the early levels with the ability to gain health back, and remains an excellent solo school even after level 100. The only problem with Death would be slightly slower (but still successful) questing due to the lack of an AoE till Scarecrow ( or Deer Knight). However spells like Call of Khrullu and consistently high damage, health and resist throughout the game help Death remain even in the later levels. So overall, Death is the best solo school due to surefire chances of winning almost every fight. Fire and Storm are very close behind though:
They excel from Marleybone-Mooshu onwards (very squishy in early levels and low accuracy).

Fire with it's DoT spells can easily deal with shields and it can also one-shot most bosses, making for quick fights. It has many AoE spells too which makes questing significantly faster. It has the highest damage in level 100+ with reasonable health and resist making arguably the strongest school from level 100 onwards. However, there is still a moderate risk of dying and having to repeat fights or get help for certain bosses.

Storm is by far the fastest school to solo with, and Tempest is the most useful AoE spell in the game. Most fights end really quickly with one-shot bosses if done right, making storm arguably the best solo school in levels 60-90. However it is very easy for storm wizards to die if unlucky, especially later in the game (level 90+).

TL;DR
1) Death for consistent wins with low death risk due to drains and higher health, remains strong throughout the entire game.
2) Fire for fast fights due to hard-hitting, shield breaking spells and easy boss fights with moderate risk of dying and weak early levels (1-30) but very strong late levels (100+).
3) Storm for extremely quick mob fights, high AoE damage, quick one-shot boss fights but with high risk of dying and weak early levels (1-33) but strong mid-levels (60-90)