Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Let text-chat say " oof "

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 08, 2019
It is trendy, and not bad in meaning. Let the text chat people see when we type 'oof' please! =)

Survivor
Sep 07, 2012

Exactly, I always say "o of" but that's unpleasant when oof doesn't mean anything bad. _
But honestly the game can't really help it because it's the text chat features, so if you don't like saying word's o of for oof or crit for critical, just switch to open.

Hope this helps- Fiona WillowGrove-130
Nicholas Storm -81
Dakota-14

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
Jeamy2 Hopei444 on Nov 26, 2019 wrote:

Exactly, I always say "o of" but that's unpleasant when oof doesn't mean anything bad. _
But honestly the game can't really help it because it's the text chat features, so if you don't like saying word's o of for oof or crit for critical, just switch to open.

Hope this helps- Fiona WillowGrove-130
Nicholas Storm -81
Dakota-14
Some people can not have open chat...

Survivor
Nov 08, 2019
I am already open chat, I am just upset for the text chatters that can't see when I type "oof" until I correct myself to saying "o of." And also, players that made their account while under 18 and under a parental control are no longer able to switch from text to open chat after turning 18 themselves, until they make a new whole account themselves and become the parental control of their account.

Defender
Oct 12, 2017
You can get open chat by your parents permission but I don’t know how that works

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
The Storm King on Dec 7, 2019 wrote:
You can get open chat by your parents permission but I don’t know how that works
you can't. Open chat is only open to players 18+ only, with a valid credit card purchase made I believe within the last 30 days. You would have to be at least 13 when you made the account, for them to be able to store your information via COPPA. Then, when you reach 18, the Open Chat option becomes available.

Simply head to the wizard101 website, log in, go to my accounts, Parental Controls, click your name on the left-hand side, and then turn open chat to On.

In the meantime, enable text chat.

Menu chat works via a whitelist system, meaning only pre-approved phrases are allowed. Typing is disallowed. Text chat works via a whitelist/blacklist system, meaning you can only type pre-approved phrases, with certain additional phrases being filtered out. Open chat works via blacklist only, meaning that all phrases are allowed by default, unless they are on the blacklist. There are some phrases that are exceptions, where they are forbidden in text chat and allowed in open chat.

Thanks!!! Be you.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I agree. Crit needs to be added to the whitelist, as does oof. That is all.

:)

Defender
Oct 12, 2017
Thats the thing thou, any age set on an account stays that way. My reason for saying this is because when i first got on wiz when i first played i was 12 on my first account, i set the account to that, then when i turned 13 it still had menu chat

Defender
Aug 16, 2014
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
The Storm King on Dec 20, 2019 wrote:
Thats the thing thou, any age set on an account stays that way. My reason for saying this is because when i first got on wiz when i first played i was 12 on my first account, i set the account to that, then when i turned 13 it still had menu chat
That's because you were under 13 when you made the account. According to COPPA, you have to be at least 13 to voluntarily provide information to companies that they can store on-file. This is because your age is not a critical piece of information for you to be able to participate in the activity. Since you were less than 13, but had parent permission, they can create your account, but they couldn't store your age. So, to them, you will always be 12 years old. You must be at least 13 when you create your account for you to get open chat when you turn 18.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2013