Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beastmoon Hunt: Helpful tips and tricks.

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Hello everyone! I am creating this post to share some helpful tips and tricks that can help you in the Beastmoon hunt. These are just helpful things about good gameplay to know going into a Hunt. Enjoy!

Before I start, I would like to point you to a guide by Eric StormBringer of Final Bastion. He covers all the basic mechanics of the Hunt HERE. (I won't be re-saying anything from it, just sharing some helpful gameplay tips.)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

First of all and very important, it is good to know how to use a variety of Beasts. This way, if you're favorite form is already taken, you can simply use another.

To add onto the above idea, you can change Beast Forms in the middle of a match. Just make sure to choose one that isn't locked or taken.

Make sure to cooperate with your teammates! If you need help, make sure to call for it! If you need to strategize, you can do that, too!

The higher your max Pip Wisps, the more important it is to collect them. If you're an Elf or Fairy with no Pip Wisps, you'll be very weak going into battle. Make sure to put time into collecting them!

As the Fairy or Ninja Pig, note that your life-steal spells will ignore the enemy's Absorbs! Note this if you're up against a Krokomummy, Colossus, or Cyclops.

Life Draconians are an important asset to any team! If you don't have one on yours, change into one so you can provide those much-needed Heals.

Remember Actaeon and his Battle Cards! If you need more of a specific card, you can buy it from him. Just make sure you have enough Battle Coins!

The endgame of the Beastmoon Hunt usually begins after someone captures the Spiral ring in combat In the endgame you must be aware of your actions. A single flee, a single ring capture could decide the game, so be careful!

Always, ALWAYS mind your spells. You don't have too many here, and it is easy to run out of cards if you're not careful.

Another reason to mind your spells: Some pair well together! For example, a favorite Fire Elf strategy is to use Slithering Cinders to place a DoT, and them follow up with Dive-Bomber Beetle to detonate it. However, some beast forms can counter by shifting or removing the DoT.

That concludes my advice for now, If I come up with more helpful idea's I'll share them here. (And you can, too, if you want.) Now, good hunting!

Administrator
Lookit Light on Aug 4, 2019 wrote:
Hello everyone! I am creating this post to share some helpful tips and tricks that can help you in the Beastmoon hunt. These are just helpful things about good gameplay to know going into a Hunt. Enjoy!

Before I start, I would like to point you to a guide by Eric StormBringer of Final Bastion. He covers all the basic mechanics of the Hunt HERE. (I won't be re-saying anything from it, just sharing some helpful gameplay tips.)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

First of all and very important, it is good to know how to use a variety of Beasts. This way, if you're favorite form is already taken, you can simply use another.

To add onto the above idea, you can change Beast Forms in the middle of a match. Just make sure to choose one that isn't locked or taken.

Make sure to cooperate with your teammates! If you need help, make sure to call for it! If you need to strategize, you can do that, too!

The higher your max Pip Wisps, the more important it is to collect them. If you're an Elf or Fairy with no Pip Wisps, you'll be very weak going into battle. Make sure to put time into collecting them!

As the Fairy or Ninja Pig, note that your life-steal spells will ignore the enemy's Absorbs! Note this if you're up against a Krokomummy, Colossus, or Cyclops.

Life Draconians are an important asset to any team! If you don't have one on yours, change into one so you can provide those much-needed Heals.

Remember Actaeon and his Battle Cards! If you need more of a specific card, you can buy it from him. Just make sure you have enough Battle Coins!

The endgame of the Beastmoon Hunt usually begins after someone captures the Spiral ring in combat In the endgame you must be aware of your actions. A single flee, a single ring capture could decide the game, so be careful!

Always, ALWAYS mind your spells. You don't have too many here, and it is easy to run out of cards if you're not careful.

Another reason to mind your spells: Some pair well together! For example, a favorite Fire Elf strategy is to use Slithering Cinders to place a DoT, and them follow up with Dive-Bomber Beetle to detonate it. However, some beast forms can counter by shifting or removing the DoT.

That concludes my advice for now, If I come up with more helpful idea's I'll share them here. (And you can, too, if you want.) Now, good hunting!
These are some great tips! Submit your top one for KI Live later this month :).

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Sparck on Aug 5, 2019 wrote:
These are some great tips! Submit your top one for KI Live later this month :).
That would be cheating. Besides, I think it was already said by someone else .

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards from the Beastmoon Hunt can include: Beastmoon Planters (2 on your first match and one on your 25th), Beastmoon Blossoms (Always), Thread reagents (Can vary from Eldritch to School-specific Threads), Moonstone reagents (Hunter's, Elemental, Spirit, and Balance Moonstones only), and Lunari (10 to 35, depending on whether or not your team won).

Lunari can only be obtained from the Hunt itself, from the Beastmoon Hunt Progress bar, or from the Scroll of Fortune. Spend wisely!

Open the chests in the battleground! They not only give Battle Cards for you to use, they also give Battle Coins to spend at Actaeon for even better cards!

Numbers are everything in a battle. If you have more people in a battle then they do, you have the advantage. If you are outnumbered, call for help!

Concerning the Rat Thief's Minion, there is a clever trick: If you defeat the Rat Thief, the minion will disappear at the end of that round! Remember that if it get annoying!

Also concerning the Rat Thief's Minion: Don't completely ignore it. Not only are its debuffs annoying, when it reaches 4 Pips it will unleash an AoE! Be careful!

So far there have been many issues involving people staying AFK in a match to farm Lunari, or rarely doing naughty glitches to unbalance a match. Don't be one of those people. Not only is it extremely unfair to your teammates, you'll often lose, meaning you'll get less rewards then if you actually played.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Duels shouldn't be initiated alone. Always try to get 2v1 (or more) setup. Even one round with an uneven match will pay dividends. Also, try to coordinate "buddy teams". These are complimenting beast forms. For example, the Colossus and the Ninja Pig are a good buddy team, as the absorbs from the Colossus enhance some Ninja Pig spells.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
(1) In 4 vs 4 pvp--which commonly occurs in the Spiral, and represents the largest amount of points you'll gain during a match--targeting the enemy healer is the WORST available option.

I know this sounds wrong, and goes against everything most players habitually believe about Beastmoon duels, but it's true. I had 97 wins in Beastmoon by the time the event ended (on a max Storm named Samantha Stormsong), and I saw with my own eyes how NOT targeting the enemy healer first in 4 vs 4 matches always enabled my team to win.

Here's how it works.

Your REAL first target(s) in 4 vs 4 matches are the high-damage enemy Beasts who have enough pips to use their devastating hit-all (AOE, multi-hit) spells, either right away or by the next turn. Preventing your group from taking huge damage from those gigantic multi-hits is crucial.

If your first target is the enemy healer you can almost guarantee the enemy team will unleash one or more of those gigantic hit-all spells on your team. Fire Giant in particular is a literal IWIN!! spell; I never once was on a team that was hit by Fire Giant and then went on to win their match. It always wipes your team.

Keep in mind: ENEMY HEALERS DO LITTLE TO NO DAMAGE AGAINST YOUR TEAM. Your team does not suffer by waiting a few rounds to start attacking the healer. Just the opposite: if your entire team all hits the exact same target each round, that target (unless it's a healer) will quickly die, and lose all of its pips. Enemy damage dealers that lose all their pips are going to need three or four turns to rebuild enough pips to use their hit-all spells, even if they ARE Revived.

Your priority targets by type are (1) Fire Elves, ( 2) Rats, and (3) Wolves. All three beast types are capable of doing incredibly high damage to your entire team at once. Again, Fire Giant is the worst; if your team gets hit by it you're almost certainly headed for a loss, unless the Fire Giant DoT is immediately removed.

Rats have that annoying Myth minion which can ALSO cast the Djinni hit-all spell--same as its Rat master--so they're a close second to Fire Elves in terms of raw danger.

Wolves may be ranked third but don't be fooled, their hit-all spells not only become available for use at just three pips (as opposed to the four needed by Elves and Rats), but if the Wolf added Blades to himself before casting then your entire group could conceivably die in one hit. I saw that happen more than once.

I never once suffered a loss during a 4 vs 4 match in which my team targeted and focus-fired the enemy damage dealers first. Most players were hopelessly stuck in a KILL THE HEALER NOW1! mindset, and my team would easily win due to taking very little damage from hit-all spells, while our opponents--who of course targeted our healer first, ignoring our damage dealers--took huge amounts of damage from our team's hit-all spells.

Healers are usually the best targets in any other type of Beastmoon PvP other than 4 vs 4, but in 4 vs 4 they are. again, the worst target by far. Your team may get lucky and win by targeting enemy healer first, but i guarantee it's only because the enemy damage-dealers either didn't start with max pips, or else didn't draw their hit-all spell cards at the start.

In other words, you just got lucky.

Good luck next Beastmoon, and see you all there!

--Samantha Stormsong, level 130 Storm
97/100 Beastmoon Centurion badge (it hurt to fall just three wins short, yes it did)
Loved playing Minotaur, Rat, Fairy, and Storm Wolf the most

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Samantha Stormsong on Aug 9, 2019 wrote:
(1) In 4 vs 4 pvp--which commonly occurs in the Spiral, and represents the largest amount of points you'll gain during a match--targeting the enemy healer is the WORST available option.

I know this sounds wrong, and goes against everything most players habitually believe about Beastmoon duels, but it's true. I had 97 wins in Beastmoon by the time the event ended (on a max Storm named Samantha Stormsong), and I saw with my own eyes how NOT targeting the enemy healer first in 4 vs 4 matches always enabled my team to win.

Here's how it works.

Your REAL first target(s) in 4 vs 4 matches are the high-damage enemy Beasts who have enough pips to use their devastating hit-all (AOE, multi-hit) spells, either right away or by the next turn. Preventing your group from taking huge damage from those gigantic multi-hits is crucial.

If your first target is the enemy healer you can almost guarantee the enemy team will unleash one or more of those gigantic hit-all spells on your team. Fire Giant in particular is a literal IWIN!! spell; I never once was on a team that was hit by Fire Giant and then went on to win their match. It always wipes your team.

Keep in mind: ENEMY HEALERS DO LITTLE TO NO DAMAGE AGAINST YOUR TEAM. Your team does not suffer by waiting a few rounds to start attacking the healer. Just the opposite: if your entire team all hits the exact same target each round, that target (unless it's a healer) will quickly die, and lose all of its pips. Enemy damage dealers that lose all their pips are going to need three or four turns to rebuild enough pips to use their hit-all spells, even if they ARE Revived.

Your priority targets by type are (1) Fire Elves, ( 2) Rats, and (3) Wolves. All three beast types are capable of doing incredibly high damage to your entire team at once. Again, Fire Giant is the worst; if your team gets hit by it you're almost certainly headed for a loss, unless the Fire Giant DoT is immediately removed.

Rats have that annoying Myth minion which can ALSO cast the Djinni hit-all spell--same as its Rat master--so they're a close second to Fire Elves in terms of raw danger.

Wolves may be ranked third but don't be fooled, their hit-all spells not only become available for use at just three pips (as opposed to the four needed by Elves and Rats), but if the Wolf added Blades to himself before casting then your entire group could conceivably die in one hit. I saw that happen more than once.

I never once suffered a loss during a 4 vs 4 match in which my team targeted and focus-fired the enemy damage dealers first. Most players were hopelessly stuck in a KILL THE HEALER NOW1! mindset, and my team would easily win due to taking very little damage from hit-all spells, while our opponents--who of course targeted our healer first, ignoring our damage dealers--took huge amounts of damage from our team's hit-all spells.

Healers are usually the best targets in any other type of Beastmoon PvP other than 4 vs 4, but in 4 vs 4 they are. again, the worst target by far. Your team may get lucky and win by targeting enemy healer first, but i guarantee it's only because the enemy damage-dealers either didn't start with max pips, or else didn't draw their hit-all spell cards at the start.

In other words, you just got lucky.

Good luck next Beastmoon, and see you all there!

--Samantha Stormsong, level 130 Storm
97/100 Beastmoon Centurion badge (it hurt to fall just three wins short, yes it did)
Loved playing Minotaur, Rat, Fairy, and Storm Wolf the most
Thanks for sharing, Samantha! I learned something today.

Fire Elf tip: There is a 3-pip spell in your arsenal that can donate 4 pips to a target at the cost of a hundred damage. While at first it sounds risky, it can actually be a game-changing spell if you donate the pips to a tough ally like a Wolf Warrior or a Colossus. And don't worry about dying straight away; your damage comes in a DoT.

Fairy tip: Your purpose is as a nuisance; you can place traps and steal blades with Mischievous Spirit, use life-steal spells to sustain yourself, and place DoT spells on the enemy.

(I'll come up with more of this later)

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Krokomummy tip: Your play style is as much offense as it is defense, with a fair balancing of both natures. You can defend yourself against attacks, and then attack yourself! Make sure to utilize this to fit your situation!

Draconian tip: You are one of the most valuable forms in the Hunt. As the only form with healing spells, your presence can change the outcome of an entire battle. Because of this, you're best as an assist, gathering those precious Pip Wisps to boost yourself and being ready to come when called. Just be aware that you'll often bear the brunt of the enemy's attacks. And that Heal over Time spells don't revive defeated allies.

Rat Thief tip: The Rat Thief is incredibly variable. You can deal incredible amounts of damage, summon a minions that casts hindering spells on the enemy, and hold plenty of Pip Wisps. This is a form of significant value due to it sheer offensive value. Things get even better when there's a Fairy or Ninja Pig around, because your attacks get stronger from their traps!

Wolf Warrior tip: Putting his impressive health and strong weapons aside, this fellow's greatest weapon is his arsenal of Blade spells. They can make you as beneficial as the Draconian, but in a different way. By casting your Blades on an ally that's about to attack, you notably up their damage! Imaging casting Storm Surge on an ally that's casting an Attack all Enemy spell. The results can be devastating indeed!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Cyclops tip: My brother actually came up with most of the ideas for this one (Credit him for this). He says to remember that your Shield spells don't provide you with a Stun Block. The nature of your shields makes you vulnerable to Fire Elves (Who can remove the shield with Irksome Mander), Wolf Warriors (Who can still stun you), and other Cyclopes (Who can take the shield). On the brighter side, you're very useful in group battles. You can stall enemies for a large amount of time, provide Blades and Shields at the same time, and be as reliable a source of Blades as a Wolf Warrior. You can change turn the tide of an entire battle with Phalanx, and steal shields with Thieving Beetle. (Also, he says, for these first few Hunt events you'll have an advantage. Most players don't know how to deal with a Cyclops yet and will prioritize you out of confusion and desperation. A good distraction!) If you've managed to unlock him, you have an advantage on your hands. Again, credit my brother for all this.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Final Bastion made another guide that I'd like to point out. They made a guide HERE detailing advances strategies that you can use in the Hunt. Thank you, Final Bastion!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Minotaur tip: You're basically a tankier Fire Elf, with changes. You have stronger DoT spells, can do straight damage, and have more health. One of your strongest assets, however, is your ability to reduce your enemy's Accuracy. Using spells such as Redeye and Smog Bats mean your target might fizzle their next spell. Use it on enemies that are a concern to you!

Ninja Pig tip: This form is a crafty one. It has access to good Trap spells like Red Death, can steal health with Moongloam Wraith, and can be anti-Draconian by placing healing debuffs with spells like Festering Wound, so be watchful when he's around! You also pair well with the Rat Thief, as your Traps can boost his attacks!

Colossus tip: True to the nature of the Ice school, you have high health, Shields, and low-power attacks. Your best purpose is pairing up with others and taking hits for the team, providing Shields and attacking as necessary. If you do find yourself on your own in a battle, though, your high health and Shields allow you to hold up the enemy for quite a while, even if they outnumber you! You're more useful then at first glance.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
This second Beastmoon Hunt introduces a new spell from the battleground chests: Beastmoon Boon! It's a zero-pip Myth spell that give the target an extra pip! Use this to give an ally that extra push!

During the Spiral Showcase, a good way to get the "craft an item" requirement done is to craft Beastmoon Blossoms! If you consistently harvest Blossoms while you're doing this, you should be able to keep this up for the entire event!

Survivor
Aug 08, 2010
One piece of advice I haven't seen yet is to take the school matchups seriously. I prefer the Wolf form and I cannot count how many times a fire elf has charged straight at me only for me to kill them in two turns. It's not just that the favored side gets a damage bonus, their cards are specifically made to counter the school they're strong against. I won't go so far as to say that you cannot win against the school you're weak to, but alone it'll be a serious uphill battle. This obviously becomes less relevant in bigger fights, but it's still something to keep in mind, particularly if no one else on your team is free to come help you. Trying to 1v1 the school you're weak against is a great way to hand the other side some easy points.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2018
We need additional menu chat options for players that cannot text to chat. Like STOP CAPTURING WE ARE LOSING

Survivor
Dec 13, 2018
Could really use some additional menu chat options to communicate strategy with players that cannot text to chat. 'Stop capturing' would be a great one among others that are needed.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
Exactly what use is a Balance Moonstone? I've hundreds.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Gorman Deathstalke... on Nov 5, 2019 wrote:
Exactly what use is a Balance Moonstone? I've hundreds.
Balance Moonstones can be transmuted into Elemental or Spiritual Moonstones, or used to level up Balance beast forms.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2018
Thanks for post. Has been fun putting this into practice (when team will do it) and winning. Have also enjoyed fighting with you in the arena. Not so much against you :-)

Tyler Strongblade
Beastmoon Centurion.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Londo M on Nov 8, 2019 wrote:
Thanks for post. Has been fun putting this into practice (when team will do it) and winning. Have also enjoyed fighting with you in the arena. Not so much against you :-)

Tyler Strongblade
Beastmoon Centurion.
Wait, you fought me???

I'll make sure to provide good details for the new map and forms when the update goes live! For now, I've got this knowledge to share with you:

The new Avalon map is vertically based, with several towers, bridges, and platforms. It's easy to get lost in your first time in. A trick to do if you're experiencing this is to go up. You'll usually be able to find a way to where you want to go from there!

The Life Draconian has has a significant change in the new update: Healing Spark now costs 2 pips instead of one.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2018
Lookit Light on Nov 8, 2019 wrote:
Wait, you fought me???

I'll make sure to provide good details for the new map and forms when the update goes live! For now, I've got this knowledge to share with you:

The new Avalon map is vertically based, with several towers, bridges, and platforms. It's easy to get lost in your first time in. A trick to do if you're experiencing this is to go up. You'll usually be able to find a way to where you want to go from there!

The Life Draconian has has a significant change in the new update: Healing Spark now costs 2 pips instead of one.
Oops wrong wizard. Meant to reply to another poster's comment instead. Thanks though for your info about new map. Sounds like it will be more important than ever to stick with a partner.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Since the update will be coming out very soon, I thought I would tell you the basics about the new Beast Forms. Without further ado...

Ice Elf is described as a form made for pips and shielding. It has several spells that give shields and pips; some do both at the same time! It also knows some good offensive spells. This form is good for supporting teammates, particularly ones that don't start out with many pips in the first place.

Fairy is a master of pips and over time spells. It knows Heal over Time spells AND Damage over Time spells, plus spells that can shift or detonate them! It even knows healing spells! Raise this form to Level 4 and you're set up to be a very helpful asset!

Krokomummy is comparable to the Storm Wolf Warrior, but with an interesting quirk; some of its spells have additional power if you're under half health! Whether that be additional damage or a side effect, keep an eye on your health closely! (And watch out if there's one on the enemy side!) A good level to upgrade this to is Level 3.

Minotaur is a shield stealing monster! It has some spells that defend itself, but it shines at stealing or manipulating the shields of enemies. Like the Rat Thief, it can summon a minion; it knows minor shield spells. Watch out, Colossi and Ice Krokomummies! Try leveling this form up to level 3 or 4.

Wolf Warrior is a pip/offense form. It can give pips, but also knows how to fight! It can blade itself and put traps on its enemies, making its attacks even stronger! Prepare for a fight if you're up against this form! This form learns good spells at all of its upgrades; level it up as high as you want!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
It's Beastmoon Hunt time again! And now with new forms! Here are some things to remember:

Pip wisps will spawn on a duel circle after a battle has been won, now. Take advantage of this!

The teleporters are really useful in the new arena. They allow you to teleport from one corner of the arena to the one diagonally opposite. Surprise your enemies by using this trick!

Remember to use the old beast forms as well as the new ones! Combine the two generations of fighters to pull of nice combos and tricks!

Remember the locations of the health urns, and how to get to them. If you need to heal after a battle, remember where to go! (Always heal after a battle if you need to, by the way.)

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I played the Beatmoon hunt a couple times and found something interesting. Half of the beast forms appear to be locked behind golden idols. Even more annoying, most of the locked forms are the new ones (Except for the Storm Krokomummy), as well as the Rat Thief and Ice Krokomummy! Can't help but say I'm feeling a little disappointed upon seeing this. Where do the Gold Idols even come from???

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
Gold Idols usually are the final reward from the events progress bar. (you can also get more by purchasing a scroll of fortune)

Thanks for your insightful tips, however I am in 2 minds on the current state of the Life Draconian. With the new update, a lvl one life beast can do more damage to your points than help your team. Unless someone has the form leveled, dont expect someone to play it just because - its not as user friendly, or self sufficient as it used to be at lvl 1.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2015
Lookin Light I got some gold idols from gardening and from rewards on the scroll of fortune/beastmoon reward bars. I was able to unlock the balance wolf warrior and have been playing it for this event.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
treasurehunter112 on Dec 6, 2019 wrote:
Lookin Light I got some gold idols from gardening and from rewards on the scroll of fortune/beastmoon reward bars. I was able to unlock the balance wolf warrior and have been playing it for this event.
So the Gold Idols ARE available from the Blossoms! Good thing I've been growing them. You hear this, everyone?!?

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Sharing a few tutorial links here, because yesterday, I was on a team and I think I was the only person for whom it was not the first Beastmoon hunt. No one communicated, they rushed into battle alone, it was kind of a disaster. Thought these might help folks:

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/special-events/the-beginners-guide-to-the-beastmoon-hunt/

https://ravenwoodacademy.com/hunting-for-beasts/

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/special-events/beastmoon-hunt-how-to-rock-the-battlegrounds/