Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Build a Spell. Revisited.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 21, 2012
Hey everyone. I'm back at it again with the design a spell thing. I really wish if the Kingisle team liked these spells they could make like a contest for designing a spell and the winner gets added to the game. I made some Rules for the Design a Spell.

Must comply within the bounds.
The spell must be one of these schools. No new schools

Must not be op with damage or effects if it is low rank.

rank 1 (65-145) and so on.

The way you aquire the spell, either via a pack, drop, or quest of some kind.

Does the spell have variations based on class? Do all classes get it?

If this doesn't get a reply in a few days ill post my own example of a spell.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I would make a spell called delay burn. Its a spell that turns the dot damage of a spell into a single hit much like burning rampage. But instead of rampage its combined dot damage hits on the third tick turn. The spell would be added to the astral school teacher in the arcanum and you need to be level 130 to learn the spell.

The other spell I'd create is a spell called penance. It would be an X pip spell (max 8 pips) that damages the user and heals back the enemy but gives different returns on the damage. It could damage you 500 for every pip but each 2 pip tier gives a return investment. 1-2 pip gives your team a 20% balance blade. 3-4 pip gives enemies 25% hex and -45% vitulent plague. 5-6 pip gives each enemy a feint. 7-8 pip gives all the prior effects, drawback is the damage taken would nearly kill you. Death would learn this at 130 and could even be a spell if needed.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
JonathanTheAdventu... on Jul 16, 2019 wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm back at it again with the design a spell thing. I really wish if the Kingisle team liked these spells they could make like a contest for designing a spell and the winner gets added to the game. I made some Rules for the Design a Spell.

Must comply within the bounds.
The spell must be one of these schools. No new schools

Must not be op with damage or effects if it is low rank.

rank 1 (65-145) and so on.

The way you aquire the spell, either via a pack, drop, or quest of some kind.

Does the spell have variations based on class? Do all classes get it?

If this doesn't get a reply in a few days ill post my own example of a spell.
KI has been pretty cool with adding new competitions and I think Sparck might really like this idea for the community. I think a new spell design competition is a great way to encourage participation in sharing creative ideas

The one thing I would really like in addition to this would be if Sparck could maybe make it so wherever designs were submitted was able to be concealed for KI's eyes only but once the competition was over for it to be made public so we can enjoy looking at all the entries...I think that would be pretty cool

Administrator
Anything with the word 'contest' in it is of interest to me :). This sounds like it could be a fun one!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Sparck on Jul 17, 2019 wrote:
Anything with the word 'contest' in it is of interest to me :). This sounds like it could be a fun one!
Yes! I know I'd do it!

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Myenhance Spell idea. "Spiders Blessing"1 shadow 7 pips.
For 1 turn only 100% outgoing boost on all allies and -25% damage on all enemies.450 absorb to all allies.

Myenhancespell idea 2."Goose chase" 1 shadow 3 pips.
550 damage single target. +25% damage life bubble.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2012
Wow. I love the turnout and am happy i got attention from a higherup! I checked this today and the biggest smile grew on my face. Ive had wonderful spell ideas and would love to see a mi ni event where wizards could submit spell ideas to KI and they pick spells to add. Itd really push for community i nvolvement and the push to share ideas. Ty for the attention Sprak.

~Mitchell Summergiver Lvl 70-80

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
angellifeheart on Jul 20, 2019 wrote:
Myenhance Spell idea. "Spiders Blessing"1 shadow 7 pips.
For 1 turn only 100% outgoing boost on all allies and -25% damage on all enemies.450 absorb to all allies.

Myenhancespell idea 2."Goose chase" 1 shadow 3 pips.
550 damage single target. +25% damage life bubble.
Hi Angel!

Spiders Blessing ..... shudder!

Goose Chase ..... NO! It's goooooooooose chaaaaaaaaase! Please add the animation because I need this spell just to see the goose and being useful/OP is secondary to seeing the gooooooose chaaaaaase!

I like both

@JonathanTheAdventurer You deserve the attention because your idea is good and would be really fun! I'm glad you're happy to have posted and I hope your competition idea will be used

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Jul 24, 2019 wrote:
Hi Angel!

Spiders Blessing ..... shudder!

Goose Chase ..... NO! It's goooooooooose chaaaaaaaaase! Please add the animation because I need this spell just to see the goose and being useful/OP is secondary to seeing the gooooooose chaaaaaase!

I like both

@JonathanTheAdventurer You deserve the attention because your idea is good and would be really fun! I'm glad you're happy to have posted and I hope your competition idea will be used
I did come up with a funny animation for that spell but am not quite sure it could be made possible. But it starts off as the goose is minding its own business eating some food off the ground meanwhile the wizard or farmer animated character in hiding sneaks out of a patch of bush and jumps scares the goose chasing it in circles and trying to catch it meanwhile the goose ends up running into the target to do damage lol.

Survivor
Feb 25, 2012
OK! I have a lot ideas! Here's a few.
Most, if not all, my ideas will be quest rewards and are for people 110+.
It said "create A spell" but I kinda sorta wanted 1 for each school so here they all are!

Life.
Second Wind.
Requirement: 2 Shadow Pips, 6 regular pips.
Deals 1280 damage to all enemies, and all allies regain 15% after being defeated.(Guardian Spirit)

Storm
Stalker of the Depths/ Depth Stalker
Requirement 2 Shadow Pips, 6 Regular pips.
Deals 1625 damage to all enemies, and 100, 400, or 1000 to all allies. (Healing current)

Fire
Overheat.
Requirement: 2 Shadow Pips, 6 Regular Pips.
Deals 1850 Damage to all enemies. -75% damage to self and -3 pips to self.

Shadow
Steal Shadow
Requirements: 3 pips
Steals 1 pip from target.

Balance
Sand Golemn
Requirements: 2 Shadow Pips, 6 Regular Pips.
Deals 1375 damage to all, then +30% or +45% damage, and 10% pierce to all allies.

Myth
Bronze Archer
Removes all positive wards from targets then 1300 damage to all.
Cleanse all negative wards from allies.

Ice
Avalanche
Deals 1220 damage to all. Incite malice. And absorbs 625 to self per enemy hit.

Death
Night Stalker
Requirements: 2 Shadow Pips, 6 Regular pips.
Deals 1325 damage and 30% damage bubble.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
axsaw45 on Jul 26, 2019 wrote:
OK! I have a lot ideas! Here's a few.
Most, if not all, my ideas will be quest rewards and are for people 110+.
It said "create A spell" but I kinda sorta wanted 1 for each school so here they all are!

Life.
Second Wind.
Requirement: 2 Shadow Pips, 6 regular pips.
Deals 1280 damage to all enemies, and all allies regain 15% after being defeated.(Guardian Spirit)

Storm
Stalker of the Depths/ Depth Stalker
Requirement 2 Shadow Pips, 6 Regular pips.
Deals 1625 damage to all enemies, and 100, 400, or 1000 to all allies. (Healing current)

Fire
Overheat.
Requirement: 2 Shadow Pips, 6 Regular Pips.
Deals 1850 Damage to all enemies. -75% damage to self and -3 pips to self.

Shadow
Steal Shadow
Requirements: 3 pips
Steals 1 pip from target.

Balance
Sand Golemn
Deals 1375 damage to all, then +30% or +45% damage, and 10% pierce to all allies.

Myth
Bronze Archer
Removes all positive wards from targets then 1300 damage to all.

Ice
Avalanche
Deals 1220 damage to all. Incite malice. And absorbs 625 to self per enemy hit.

Death
Night Stalker
Requirements: 2 Shadow Pips, 6 Regular pips.
Deals 1325 damage and 30% damage bubble.
I like some of the idea of your spells and i think they can be classified under a 1 shadow 7 pips spells as its too early to jump on 2 shadow any pip spells until were around lets say 150 level. However, theirs a few of them that don't sit to well in terms of balance. The life one effect is a bit too game breaking id prefer if it gave something like a 640 absorb for all allies instead.

The storm one would be better if it did 25% of the damage first hit and 75% single target after giving them a double strike hit like gaze.
alternatively the effect for this would be something like a cleanse charm on all allies.

I never understood why we try to make fire do more damage than storm but i like that -75% backlash they get from using the spell the -3 pips is unnecessary.

Shadow steal is a no no for me unless its pve(only) type spell.

Balance is fine.

Myth should remove wards after not before. Were not trying to break the myth school that has the most balance school mechanic as of right now. the cleanse for all allies is fine.

For the ice i like how yo presented absorb instead of actually shields. damage should be same as life i believe this one is the most balance thus far, however we can say the absorb should worth half the damage so 640 is fine.

The death one is 100% yes from me in terms of damage and effect.

Survivor
Feb 25, 2012
angellifeheart on Jul 27, 2019 wrote:
I like some of the idea of your spells and i think they can be classified under a 1 shadow 7 pips spells as its too early to jump on 2 shadow any pip spells until were around lets say 150 level. However, theirs a few of them that don't sit to well in terms of balance. The life one effect is a bit too game breaking id prefer if it gave something like a 640 absorb for all allies instead.

The storm one would be better if it did 25% of the damage first hit and 75% single target after giving them a double strike hit like gaze.
alternatively the effect for this would be something like a cleanse charm on all allies.

I never understood why we try to make fire do more damage than storm but i like that -75% backlash they get from using the spell the -3 pips is unnecessary.

Shadow steal is a no no for me unless its pve(only) type spell.

Balance is fine.

Myth should remove wards after not before. Were not trying to break the myth school that has the most balance school mechanic as of right now. the cleanse for all allies is fine.

For the ice i like how yo presented absorb instead of actually shields. damage should be same as life i believe this one is the most balance thus far, however we can say the absorb should worth half the damage so 640 is fine.

The death one is 100% yes from me in terms of damage and effect.
Thank you for your feedback.

The spells will be staying 2 shadow 6 pips. Why? Their damage mixed with the secondary effects warrants this. If I was going to remove one of the shadow pips, I would put it at 1 Shadow and at least 10 pips.
Again, its their secondary effects that makes it 2 Shadow/6 pips.

"The life one effect is a bit too game breaking id prefer if it gave something like a 640 absorb for all allies instead."

No to absorb. The only change I'd do to it is increasing the pip cost or turning it into a heal.

"The storm one would be better if it did 25% of the damage first hit and 75% single target after giving them a double strike hit like gaze.
alternatively the effect for this would be something like a cleanse charm on all allies."

The 25:75 gimmick is a myth thing (Orthrus/Minotaur). I've always somewhat hated that gimmick as the first hit would waste the traps. So, no. Damage wise, this spell will stay as is.
When it comes to the secondary effect though, I do agree that an Enfeeble version of cleanse charm could work better, but I like the idea of "Healing Current" more.

"I never understood why we try to make fire do more damage than storm but i like that -75% backlash they get from using the spell the -3 pips is unnecessary."

I wanted this to have all listed because of just the "Overheat." High damage but high drawback that would take a few rounds to deal with/come back from.
If it were just the weakness, all you had to do was remove the weakness and go back to hitting. This would make the "Drawback" really negligible. However, with the added pip "destruction" a player would need to wait a little longer before they can hit hard again.

"Shadow steal is a no no for me unless its pve(only) type spell. "

This spell is relatively balanced. Its 3 pips. Why doe the 3 pips matter? Its a shadow spell and there is no mastery for Shadow Spells. If there is someone with 7 power pips, using this spell will make it take 3 of those 7 power pips. So during PvP, using it will be a little risky because you also run the risk of having the player use a Shadow enhanced spell the exact round you use the spell which wouldn't do you good, unless you're first.
I don't pvp, but I can see why you would not like such a spell to be included in PvP.

"Balance is fine."

OK.
If I were to ever change the balance one, it would be to make it do Spiritual School damage.

"Myth should remove wards after not before. Were not trying to break the myth school that has the most balance school mechanic as of right now. the cleanse for all allies is fine."

I wanted to try something new with the myth. I do agree that a free shatter before a hit is too much, so I'll adjust that.

Bronze Archer
Removes 2 positive wards from targets then 1420 damage to all.

The damage of the spell was supposed to be "below average" because of the shatter effect, however, with the change in effect, I decided to increase the damage.

"For the ice i like how yo presented absorb instead of actually shields. damage should be same as life i believe this one is the most balance thus far, however we can say the absorb should worth half the damage so 640 is fine."

Thank you. The absorb will stay at 625 but damage adjust to 1250 so its "half."
I just like the look of "625" more than "640".

"The death one is 100% yes from me in terms of damage and effect."

Thank you.

So that concludes that. I guess your main focus is how these would affect PvP. First and foremost, I don't PvP. Another thing is, you cant really build spells and try to balance them around PvP. The moment you start doing that, they may become completely obsolete in PvE, same thing Vice versa.
This in kinda off-topic but, if at all possible, the could have spells have different damage values/ effects JUST for PvP. This could be step 1 in balancing it.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
I think that's one of the main issues of designing new spells is how well its going to fit pve and affect pvp. I think both has to be taken into consideration because in my opinion, i think any spell that are focus against AI target doesn't create much of a huge impact as it would against another player who actively thinks through out the course of battle. For your statement towards "spells becoming totally obsolete in pve" this is highly untrue because every spell thus far has been effective in pve without any repercussion where as towards pvp it has created a lot of major issues just so you know.