Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fishing help

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 28, 2018
ah im sorry if this was posted before or somebody has already asked but how do you prevent the line from breaking? is it a specific time? i always think i get it at the right time but then it gets away.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
krazygumisan on Jun 5, 2019 wrote:
ah im sorry if this was posted before or somebody has already asked but how do you prevent the line from breaking? is it a specific time? i always think i get it at the right time but then it gets away.
Hmmm, here are some potential troubleshooting tips:

• Wait for the sound. If you do it too early or late it has a higher chance of breaking.
  • Make sure that you are using the right lure if you use an Ice Lure to try and catch a Fire Fish, it will break. If you are trying to catch a Fire Fish then use a Fire Lure.You can buy the identify Fish school spell from Lucky Hookline.
  • Use the higher grade fishing lures when they become available. It will make them easier to catch.
  • Some fish are harder to catch than others and just have a chance of breaking the line anyway. However, usually the above problems cause the issue.

Good luck fishing in the spiral!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
krazygumisan on Jun 5, 2019 wrote:
The fish sometimes play with the line a little bit and make it bob up and down, wait for the lure to go right down and make a 'plop' sound then tap your space bar as soon as you hear it.

For sentinels, tap the space bar as soon as they connect with the lure, don't wait for it to go under.

If you're experiencing even the slightest lag just play with when you have to tap the space bar to catch it succesfully.

Remember that if you don't have fishing luck boosts some of them will get away and there is nothing you can do to prevent that (except getting fishing luck boosts from pet talents, gear or jewels).

It helps a lot to make sure you're using the right rank and school lure for the fish. This gives a better chance of catching them instead of them getting away. Using reveal fish school can help, winnowing the fish so they're all the same school and also checking the wiki to see what rank the fishes in that area are (or the type you want to get).

CLICK HERE for fishes and their categories. You can also search the location and find the type of fish available there.

If you're trying to catch something specific or need any other help please post back and we'll help however we can!

Happy fishing!

Survivor
Jul 23, 2008
I used to have the same problem.

Took three things for me to start catching fish regularly.

First: Using the right lure.

Second: Using a lure of equal or greater rank than the fish I was targeting.

And most importantly!

Use the audio queue. It sounds like cork being pulled, it is distinct from the other fishing sounds.

I was using the visual queue for hours and lost most of the fish I tried to catch.

Flint Stone