Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

game play

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Mar 22, 2019 wrote:
From those you quoted including me, it sounds like you are having a problem with the way the game is created and it's purpose before it launched. Only Kingsisle knows that purpose which was already mentioned on this topic by a few others. We all have the right to debate but put downs and insults does not help and tell us you're not a team player to those who are not as good as you. We are all good players in our own ways. Wizard101 is a game for eveyone. There is no right or wrong way to play as long as you follow the Terms of Use. Wizard101 is not school; there is no fail or test. It's not the Army where you have to be all you can be. It's not a job where you have to be the best up to your boss's expectations or you are a slacker and should be fired. If you want to learn and master, then master by learning other player's way of reasons by asking questions and evaluate their game play. Then you'll understand what's going on.
I guess you missed the part where I have helped 100s of players through beastie boys, titan and medulla. All I am saying here is all games have rules, its just a matter of learning what they are.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Jasmine3429 on Mar 22, 2019 wrote:
Curious as to what game you were ever good at that you did not take time to learn? Even go fish has rules.
I think we might be at sixes and sevens.

I enjoy sandbox games. I always did. I used to make up my own games, as a kid. We once bought a no-name brand, used game at a "yard sale" which had incomplete pieces and no rules with it. So I drew the game pieces and made up new rules each time I played (I played it alone, so there was no need to communicate it.)

I made a board game as an adult. It was designed to be flexible. Without getting into the details over-much and going off topic, my point was that there are many approaches to gaming. There are many gaming styles. One is learning "rules" and going strictly by rules. Another is questioning if game and rule belong in the same sentence.

There are some games which have obvious rules -- if someone swiped money out of the community bank in Monopoly, most people would consider that "cheating." It's a fairly linear style of game. Still, I've met people who've adapted the rules for their own family or friends who play in a way they better enjoy.

Each person has to decide how they most *enjoy* a game. Is it to learn a skill? To relax? To laugh? To distract from worries of the day? To be silly? To be someone else for a while? To live vicariously? Those are not mutually exclusive but some are of higher priority to some people than to other people.

I personally do not think there is one "right" way to *Play* a game. Key word: Play. If it were an SAT test, or a job, then rules are important and vital and honesty requires following rules. If it's a game, especially if questing/playing alone or if the friends/team agree? Then in my opinion, the most important thing is *to play.*

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
I respect all opinions, but I have a few words of wisdom I would like to share...

• REMEBER this game's combat system is "turn-based." I too have been frustrated with duels, but it is based on the rounds/who goes first/cheats. I have even yelled at the computer screen saying "I hate this game," but usually that means you're playing a well-done game. Learn that battle, and don't give up! You may not win in one (or even three) try(s)! That is how this game is and how it has always been.
  • Wizard101 is an MMO, boss battles (especially final bosses) are supposed to be a challenge, and by Empyrea we are level 120-130!!!!! Medulla is hard, and so is the Storm Titan, but by this time we are a high level and should expect some ethical challenges.
  • Look out for ten-year-olds? If a ten-year-old made it this far by themselves without any issues, I would be most impressed. I'm afraid to say this game is no longer for JUST children, especially those of us who grew up with this game.
  • If it became a constant issue where every boss battle was like Medulla, then I'd be raising heck too, but again, Last world, last boss, end of an arc. Some battles are confusing and increase the frustration, (like the Tumbler), and maybe there is a glitch/bug with the fight, but wait it out and keep trying.
  • Do you expect to do everything solo? YOU CANT, even with crowns! Again MMO game here. I will say this, they do need to get more people motivated to help others! More than the Olde Town Kiosk.The soul of the classic MMO games are dying, and everyone wants to do everything solo. If your one of the ones that don't want to accept help, WHEN YOU NEED IT, then you need not post here. I also think they should even include in the game's dialogue that says "Wizard thanks to you and your friends; you saved the spiral!" rather than just "YOU."

Lastly, I do hope we are all speaking from experience, and not beginning to think of all scenarios that could go wrong for other players. It sounds like most of the people here are fueled by anger from the duels, and start complaining about things that are not even relevant to them personly.

Just remember, how many people quit a game for being hard, rather than being easy?

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Jasmine3429 on Mar 23, 2019 wrote:
I guess you missed the part where I have helped 100s of players through beastie boys, titan and medulla. All I am saying here is all games have rules, its just a matter of learning what they are.
Possibly i missed it but no. I'm glad to hear you are helping people. That's a real team player . There are no certain rules to learn or ways how to play this type of game. Wizard101 is designed to be all role-playing at will as long as we follow the Terms of Use. I do respect other's opinions and yours but not rudeness, cut downs on other's strategy and game play who may be trying to learn the best they know how to their best ability the way you like them to. Guides help but doesn't always work for everyone and may need further assistance such as hand-on and be shown. Please read the post I left on here on Mar. 22 2019. It tells more about what is going on

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Blaze03554 on Mar 23, 2019 wrote:
I respect all opinions, but I have a few words of wisdom I would like to share...

• REMEBER this game's combat system is "turn-based." I too have been frustrated with duels, but it is based on the rounds/who goes first/cheats. I have even yelled at the computer screen saying "I hate this game," but usually that means you're playing a well-done game. Learn that battle, and don't give up! You may not win in one (or even three) try(s)! That is how this game is and how it has always been.
  • Wizard101 is an MMO, boss battles (especially final bosses) are supposed to be a challenge, and by Empyrea we are level 120-130!!!!! Medulla is hard, and so is the Storm Titan, but by this time we are a high level and should expect some ethical challenges.
  • Look out for ten-year-olds? If a ten-year-old made it this far by themselves without any issues, I would be most impressed. I'm afraid to say this game is no longer for JUST children, especially those of us who grew up with this game.
  • If it became a constant issue where every boss battle was like Medulla, then I'd be raising heck too, but again, Last world, last boss, end of an arc. Some battles are confusing and increase the frustration, (like the Tumbler), and maybe there is a glitch/bug with the fight, but wait it out and keep trying.
  • Do you expect to do everything solo? YOU CANT, even with crowns! Again MMO game here. I will say this, they do need to get more people motivated to help others! More than the Olde Town Kiosk.The soul of the classic MMO games are dying, and everyone wants to do everything solo. If your one of the ones that don't want to accept help, WHEN YOU NEED IT, then you need not post here. I also think they should even include in the game's dialogue that says "Wizard thanks to you and your friends; you saved the spiral!" rather than just "YOU."

Lastly, I do hope we are all speaking from experience, and not beginning to think of all scenarios that could go wrong for other players. It sounds like most of the people here are fueled by anger from the duels, and start complaining about things that are not even relevant to them personly.

Just remember, how many people quit a game for being hard, rather than being easy?

To answer your question: What's hard or easy and whats a challenge widely differs from one person to the next. People don't just quit a game for being too hard, they quit because some areas and battles are too hard for them no matter what they do and the right help is not always there causing frustrations. Guides, gears, strategy are not always enough for sum of players. It's also about nack (skills, luck, gifted, tatented, wisdom etc..) that are at different levels on everyone by birth and always will have. That's when team work comes to play

P.S I do leave posts and speak from years of experience working with all kinds of people learning about them.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Mar 23, 2019 wrote:
I think we might be at sixes and sevens.

I enjoy sandbox games. I always did. I used to make up my own games, as a kid. We once bought a no-name brand, used game at a "yard sale" which had incomplete pieces and no rules with it. So I drew the game pieces and made up new rules each time I played (I played it alone, so there was no need to communicate it.)

I made a board game as an adult. It was designed to be flexible. Without getting into the details over-much and going off topic, my point was that there are many approaches to gaming. There are many gaming styles. One is learning "rules" and going strictly by rules. Another is questioning if game and rule belong in the same sentence.

There are some games which have obvious rules -- if someone swiped money out of the community bank in Monopoly, most people would consider that "cheating." It's a fairly linear style of game. Still, I've met people who've adapted the rules for their own family or friends who play in a way they better enjoy.

Each person has to decide how they most *enjoy* a game. Is it to learn a skill? To relax? To laugh? To distract from worries of the day? To be silly? To be someone else for a while? To live vicariously? Those are not mutually exclusive but some are of higher priority to some people than to other people.

I personally do not think there is one "right" way to *Play* a game. Key word: Play. If it were an SAT test, or a job, then rules are important and vital and honesty requires following rules. If it's a game, especially if questing/playing alone or if the friends/team agree? Then in my opinion, the most important thing is *to play.*
I'm one of those people who finds games most enjoyable that are role-playing where i can relax, be silly play the way I like, dress the way I like, be someone else help others along the way and forget about life for the day as long as I follow the games Terms of Use. Remember AD&D Table-top game? That is a lot of fun. Wizard101 reminds me of that game.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
This is not about weak wizards with no strategy failing to achieve, this is about teams of wizards hitting a main storyline quest they can not progress past because they don't happen to have a death wizard in their group.

It is especially relevant because it is a main quest and those unable to progress are unable to complete the arc, are potentially unable to reach max level and can not enjoy the ending to their storyline.

I used to regularly help 100's of wizards hatch with OP pets, but I welcome the introduction of the hatch kiosk. Allowing all wizards access to OP pets 24/7 is more important than me being needed. I can not help every wizard in the Spiral; no wizard can. If a wizard is finding their help is required excessively for something it is an indicator that there is a need for a solution Spiral-wide.

When a team of wizards reaches a storyline quest that requires them to disband their group and seek help from another school of wizard to help them through, it is a problem. A team of 4 good wizards should not be struggling and failing because they do not have access to juju or the ability to spam it as needed.

Assuming the wizards who are finding it 'too hard' must have poor stats, no strategy, have done no research into the cheats, or must be trying to solo it, is avoidance of the issue. There are teams of good wizards with good stats, good strategy, who know the cheats and are able to work together who are finding they are unable to complete this battle.

Defender
May 30, 2010
Okay First of all, the only play styles are if you want to be a support, a hitter, or a healer. Second of all, there are guides for all school on what the best gear is. Most you do not need crowns for unless you are buying all the areas.

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-gear-jewels-mounts/wizard101-best-max-ice-gear/
Here a guide for the best maxed ice gear for 130.
https://www.swordroll.com/2017/01/best-fire-gear-level-120-wizard101.html
here the fire gear for level 120 but still great as most as the same.

The only gear that you need to purchuse crowns be the best is the wand but that for just the best. (Seriously I only use a crown wand on my myth because I can).

Third of all, People can find time to farm on the weekends and after school or work. Now I know a lot of people do not like farm but that part of the game. The RNG might been bad but just keep trying.

Fourth of all, if you are have problems solo use team up and find someone. Or find a discord server that has many people who play and help each other out on wizard. (Quest helpers is a big thing)

Lastly, turn out to the wiki on your first time for a boss. Some bosses are be very ah without this wiki. Medulla cheats are hard to explain without someone who has the wiki open. If you have the wiki open and you still need help, then do not be afraid to ask your teammates to explain a bit father so the team does not fail because of you.

Remember sometimes it takes work to be the best but you only need to keep trying

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
God life wizard on Apr 1, 2019 wrote:
Okay First of all, the only play styles are if you want to be a support, a hitter, or a healer. Second of all, there are guides for all school on what the best gear is. Most you do not need crowns for unless you are buying all the areas.

https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-gear-jewels-mounts/wizard101-best-max-ice-gear/
Here a guide for the best maxed ice gear for 130.
https://www.swordroll.com/2017/01/best-fire-gear-level-120-wizard101.html
here the fire gear for level 120 but still great as most as the same.

The only gear that you need to purchuse crowns be the best is the wand but that for just the best. (Seriously I only use a crown wand on my myth because I can).

Third of all, People can find time to farm on the weekends and after school or work. Now I know a lot of people do not like farm but that part of the game. The RNG might been bad but just keep trying.

Fourth of all, if you are have problems solo use team up and find someone. Or find a discord server that has many people who play and help each other out on wizard. (Quest helpers is a big thing)

Lastly, turn out to the wiki on your first time for a boss. Some bosses are be very ah without this wiki. Medulla cheats are hard to explain without someone who has the wiki open. If you have the wiki open and you still need help, then do not be afraid to ask your teammates to explain a bit father so the team does not fail because of you.

Remember sometimes it takes work to be the best but you only need to keep trying
Isn't playstyle also strategy??

Defender
May 30, 2010
Patrick Ravenbane on Apr 1, 2019 wrote:
Isn't playstyle also strategy??
yes that part of it. Like if you are a hitter you put more blades and hits in your deck. But it is also what boss you are fighting. In Beastman fight club for example, healing would be kind of bad if other people have healing pets making harder for the healer to heal (As the death put a -50% on everyone who heals the third time).

As pork say it is all about working together, so if somebody is not on the right page then the entire team is done (Most for the harder fights)

Also go slowly into harder bosses like in fight club or Medulla. Remember most harder bosses have late cheats.

Again guys they are guides everywhere on how to beat a certain boss or get a certain gear just search