Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Storm worth it later?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2019
Hello, I currently have a level 31 Death wizard and recently started a Storm wizard. The reason I'm asking this question is that Storm is a legitimate challenge soloing but by looking at the spells later I assume that it picks up at around level 30. The addition of windstorm and tempest will help immensely with soloing mobs and bosses, which is my main problem right now, fighting multiple enemies with my low resistance, health, and annoyingly high fizzle rate, which also leads to high mana drain.

So my question is pretty simple, in your opinion is Storm worth the early headache later on?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
For a second, I thought this was a rhetorical question. I however soon realized you're legitimately asking a serious question.

So, let's answer it.

Now, the school particularly picks up at level 60. That's where you see the huge spike and it continues to pick up!
So long you have good gear and use the school as how it is supposed to be used, then you'll find yourself practically wiping out a lot of mobs within quick seconds!

Now, to speak to level 30.

Yes, tempest is still currently the most popular AoE Diviners use to end battles quickly. The spell is a favorite by many diviners and is still used heavily today.
Glowbug Squall is a close second!

Now, the school also has techniques to assist with this "high fizzle rate" and it's overall low defenses.
So, here's also what I recommend you do:

Use Enchants - Use enchants such as Keen Eyes, Sniper to increase your spells' accuracy before using them in battle. These treasures can increase your storm spells to 80%, 85%, 90% depending on the card you used to enchant it. You don't need damage enchants since your spells are already powerful.

Pet - I highly recommend a decent pet as a storm wizard, regardless of your level. This is practically needed as, as you mentioned, the school has low defenses. A decent pet can assist in helping with this defense problem. Try using a pet with a mixture of defensive talents (Spell Proof, Defy) and offensive (Storm Dealer etc.) until you're comfortable with the school to use for example a solely offensive pet.

Gear - Your gear has to be top notch in such a way to help you to use the school. Bad gear can hinder any school's potential and storm is no different. So, don't forsake this vital area of necessity.

So, again, yes, the school is rate the headache! Definitely more so than most other schools.

There's a reason why the school has maintained it's most popular title from 2014.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Notoriuser on Mar 2, 2019 wrote:
Hello, I currently have a level 31 Death wizard and recently started a Storm wizard. The reason I'm asking this question is that Storm is a legitimate challenge soloing but by looking at the spells later I assume that it picks up at around level 30. The addition of windstorm and tempest will help immensely with soloing mobs and bosses, which is my main problem right now, fighting multiple enemies with my low resistance, health, and annoyingly high fizzle rate, which also leads to high mana drain.

So my question is pretty simple, in your opinion is Storm worth the early headache later on?
It's totally worth it!

All the schools have their hurdles in the early levels - fizzles, low damage, low mana and health etc...

It's definitely worth working through those early levels and by the time you have Zeus gear at level 30 the change in ability is dramatic

You might find it is worth picking up some Tempest TC to help you wipe out mobs faster or you could use some accuracy enchants on your trained spells to reduce your fizzles. You could use a Tempest TC combined with using infallible TC, this will give you 20% accuracy boost and a multi hit.

I hope this helps...keep going, your wizard will feel powerful soon and you'll LOVE it!

Explorer
Jan 27, 2013
As a max storm, I find it to be incredibly frustrating in the beginning of the game. However, once you hit about level 60, you start getting gear that gives you nice damage buffs, as well as accuracy. I haven't fizzled since I was level 100 without someone casting a dispel or debuff. it's also extremely satisfying to hit insane amounts of damage :)

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
A year ago I would have said definitively yes, however now that KI seems to be catering to fire, in most end game situations they are now a better bet for hitting. I find myself using my storm less and less these days in favor of fire, who can hit hard these days and is easier to keep alive.

Sad that, but there it is.

Survivor
May 14, 2016
Storm isn't that bad of an element. Honestly, I never played storm so this might be biased. I feel like storm is a little bit hard in the beginning because of the fizzles but that's in my opinion. However, the damage is really powerful and really good in PvP. Storm wouldn't be bad for someone who already played the game just wanting to make a new wizard. But for new players, I suggest playing an element that's easy to use. Maybe Myth, because the minions will help a lot. Overall, storm isn't a bad element, it's just hard to master in the beginning.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2019
In my personal opinion, I'd say that it's totally worth it!

However, it may be a bit frustrating in the beginning but once beyond that point you should have an excellent experience with Storm!