Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Struggling with my pets, looking for tips/help!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
I'm typing this whole thing up again, because it deleted my first post when trying to submit.

As of lately I have been trying forever to get the pet I wanted. I've hatched about 9 times so far, from the kiosk with the same exact talents I have been looking for. Every single time the pet has failed at either Mega or a level or two below!

Of course, this is extremely frustrating. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just extremely unlucky! I was hoping someone could give some input or advice on my situation.

Between the gold, mega snacks and time lost trying to get this pet, it has been a bit ridiculous.

Not sure if it matters, but I'll post my pet and the talents I have/been trying to get.

Frostfang
Spell Proof
Relentless
Mighty
Unbreakable
(Spell Defy should be the last talent) The last 3 hatches, I've been getting Life Bringer!

----------------------

(The other hatches had even a different talent!)

7 out of the 9 times it failed at mega.

If anyone could help me out on this, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you so much.

Valkoor

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not sure this is the prescribed way to do this. I was having the same trouble with a Fennec Fox and ended up with 4. I finally chose the best one of the 4 and started hatching with other 4-legged creatures that didn't have the talent I was trying to drop. I tried to stick with a similar animal. I was just trying to breed out the traits that weren't going to help me. And again, as everyone says, no guarantees. Getting frustrated I hatched with a Kuccaburrow that had great talents and ended up with a bird, but he's actually better than the foxes. Don't hatch with anything that has Life Bringer talent or you'll get it again. Aim for something else. I don't think the perfect pet exists except for bragging rights. Good luck

Sydney Skyblood lvl 102 Fire

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Osto Gamer on Mar 2, 2019 wrote:
I'm typing this whole thing up again, because it deleted my first post when trying to submit.

As of lately I have been trying forever to get the pet I wanted. I've hatched about 9 times so far, from the kiosk with the same exact talents I have been looking for. Every single time the pet has failed at either Mega or a level or two below!

Of course, this is extremely frustrating. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just extremely unlucky! I was hoping someone could give some input or advice on my situation.

Between the gold, mega snacks and time lost trying to get this pet, it has been a bit ridiculous.

Not sure if it matters, but I'll post my pet and the talents I have/been trying to get.

Frostfang
Spell Proof
Relentless
Mighty
Unbreakable
(Spell Defy should be the last talent) The last 3 hatches, I've been getting Life Bringer!

----------------------

(The other hatches had even a different talent!)

7 out of the 9 times it failed at mega.

If anyone could help me out on this, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you so much.

Valkoor
Are the pets you're working on identical apart from manifested talents? If so, have any of them manifested defy yet? I'd make 'parent pets'. Try hatching 2 pets that only have the 5 talents you want (between them), then try to get defy to pop by ancient.

The difference in energy and snacks is huge beyond ancient, so trying to get a talent to show that is being annoying can be more cost efficient if we just take to ancient. Sure, it might pop at epic or mega, but if it doesn't that is a lot of snacks, energy and time wasted.

Taking to ancient requires 875XP total, and shows us 3 talents. It costs more than the sum of those 3 to see just one more talent at epic, and more than double again for another at mega. It sounds like the other 4 talents are strong and showing up lots. I'd focus on getting a pet to manifest defy early. I'd probably make it a parent pet (to hatch with one that has the other talents I want without relying on the kiosk pet owner replacing him). Try to avoid using a pet with fail talents when hatching - if it can't be avoided immediately, look to replace it when you can.

I hope this makes sense to you. Feel free to ask anything. Good luck and happy hatching!

PS. Sometimes the website does a weird 'website not available' when I try to post and then it wipes everything I wrote! I try to remember to select all and copy it just in case it happens. When it happens I can just paste it back into the box and click 'submit' and then it works. Some days it literally happens every single post...copy and paste might be helpful to you too

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Just to comment here, it seems that there is a glitch with the Message Boards.

This has often to me numerous times too.

One of the causes I realize is possible just holding down the (delete/backspace) button for too long. While the original idea is to delete a number of words, the boards just delete all you've typed all together.

Extremely annoying.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Also, you seem to be going about the hatching mechanism a bit incorrectly here.

But, before I really delve into that, question;

Why are you trying to gain selfish talents on your pet such as relentless? Are you perhaps interested in Pet Derby or something?

Second,

To comment on a technique all veteran hatchers use to ensure consistency and reassurance when hatching and raising pets.

Usually, it's best to raise the offspring (pet that has hatched from the two adult pets bearing talents you want) to that of adult.

If the pet by adult has two talents you're looking for, you use it and hatch again with the same pet you're trying to get its talents from.

You then take this offspring to ancient (granted it has not failed by teen or adult).

Use this ancient pet to hatch with the original pet again.

Take the new baby to epic.

So, you see, this mechanism involves multiple hatching and pet raising (tedious as it is) but helps greatly in ascertaining the pet you want.

Now, if you recalled from your gardening posts; mega snacks are yielded through this source, hence are very important to the pet training process.

So, be sure to work on this (gardening) as you do pet training.

I also recommend that you use pets with max stats (250 - 255) as this ensures the maximum numerical capabilities garnered from pet talents.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I've just noticed the 3rd 'selfish' talent is unbreakable, but that's a derby talent, not a selfish. It's not comparable with Life-Bringer as it's in the other talent list. Sorry if I'm getting confused, I'm sleepy lol...I saw 3 selfish talents and assumed they were to boost strength, agility and power to increase the resists of proof and defy...but that would be something like Powerful instead of unbreakable? I'm not much into selfish talents or derby ones and the advice above still applies, but make sure to check both lists if you're aiming for a derby talent in there

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Star Edward on Mar 12, 2019 wrote:
Also, you seem to be going about the hatching mechanism a bit incorrectly here.

But, before I really delve into that, question;

Why are you trying to gain selfish talents on your pet such as relentless? Are you perhaps interested in Pet Derby or something?

Second,

To comment on a technique all veteran hatchers use to ensure consistency and reassurance when hatching and raising pets.

Usually, it's best to raise the offspring (pet that has hatched from the two adult pets bearing talents you want) to that of adult.

If the pet by adult has two talents you're looking for, you use it and hatch again with the same pet you're trying to get its talents from.

You then take this offspring to ancient (granted it has not failed by teen or adult).

Use this ancient pet to hatch with the original pet again.

Take the new baby to epic.

So, you see, this mechanism involves multiple hatching and pet raising (tedious as it is) but helps greatly in ascertaining the pet you want.

Now, if you recalled from your gardening posts; mega snacks are yielded through this source, hence are very important to the pet training process.

So, be sure to work on this (gardening) as you do pet training.

I also recommend that you use pets with max stats (250 - 255) as this ensures the maximum numerical capabilities garnered from pet talents.

Thank you everyone for the replies I appreciate it!

And I'm going for the selfish talents so I can get my proof and defy up. I'm trying to get 21% universal resist on the pet.

I have started a garden (thanks to your previous tips!) and have been slowly collecting mega snacks, so thank you for your help in that regards!

As far as the hatching method goes, for the most part I have been following that technique. Except for the part where I keep receiving the unwanted talent at Adult, Ancient or even after that. Maybe I'm just getting unlucky?

Before I saw these replies, I did hatch again the other day with the "failed" pet with the one I want the talents with. I have yet to level up the baby though, so I'm not sure how it will be stats wise.

I still have the last two failed pets though. Which both were giving life damage.