Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can't ditch gold or extra backpack items

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 23, 2009
This sounds like a rich man's problem, but I don't know what to do here. I need to get rid of many backpack items, but I can't because I have too much gold. And I can't spend the gold because my backpack is full. I seriously wish this was a real life problem for me (lol) but it isn't.
How do I fix this?
Thank you,
Darby Dragonheart

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Well, you can:

Discard Items - You can simply trash some of the items in your bag pack to free up more space.

Use Bank - Temporarily store some of your items in your bank/shared bank and return to them later when you're wanting to sell.

Spend Gold on Spells - If you garden, consider learning a few more gardening spells, likewise if you fish or do monstrology.

Elixirs - If you've a few crowns to spare, consider buying the elixirs that expands your bag pack. It really does help having that extra space!

Buy More Items After Storage - After storing your items temporarily, spend your gold on more items, possibly gear or furniture sets (such as those in the crown shop).

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
PofJ on Feb 26, 2019 wrote:
This sounds like a rich man's problem, but I don't know what to do here. I need to get rid of many backpack items, but I can't because I have too much gold. And I can't spend the gold because my backpack is full. I seriously wish this was a real life problem for me (lol) but it isn't.
How do I fix this?
Thank you,
Darby Dragonheart
Treasure cards and reagents should still be able to be purchased. You can put down or trash one item if this is not the case.

Treasure cards are a handy way to store gold for future use - we lose a lot of gold as they always cost a lot more to buy than we get from selling them, but when we reah higher levels gold is so easy to get it can be a quick and easy way to manage it. Treasure cards can also be passed to other players by doing a trade. Trades don't require both people pass things so we can literally give gold away to friends, other players or to TC holders.

A TC holder is when we make a second accound of wizards for the main purpose of holding/transfering TC. We can log in a second account while playing if we simply click the launcher again when our main account is already fully loaded. This is very useful for storing and passing TC as we can not pass TC through the shared bank. You may even grow to love your 'TC noobs' enough that they end up a real account...mine did lol.

They are also helpful if you want to run dungeons at the lowest level but no-one else is available (eg Winterbane etc) where they set the level by the lowest level wizard there. They can act as teleports to useful free areas eg bazaar, pet pavilion, Nightshade etc. I've used mine to sit in the hatchery and watch out for my arranged hatches coming in and been able to let them know I am coming, allowing me to continue gardening/fishing/decorating/prepping a hatch etc without missing the person I am meeting. I've also left him in the bazaar while I am doing real stuff so I can find someone needing TC passively instead of actively, which saves time. I just watch his chat box for someone coming in and asking for spare TC then he can give them it.

I also find them useful for decorating, especially for glitching type decorating. They can be used for raising an object easily and we can position them or move them into place after we have picked up the item with a mat, so we can get things exactly where we want them. When using castle magic they can act as a teleport to impossible to access places eg when you need to be in one part of the house to manipulate the item, but want to place it in another and can not get to that location without closing the housing tab - port to the noob and your housing tab remains open

It's completely free to have a secondary 'noob' accoun. I'm not sure if it's a warning or an incentive...but you may even grow to love your 'noobs' and extend your wizard family by playing their account too - mine ended up with full membership and I love them!

I hope this helps

Explorer
Nov 16, 2016
There are ways to spend gold without adding backpack items. You could buy fishing, gardening, or monstrology spells. You could buy regeants (for crafting), snacks (for pet training) or treasure cards at the Bazaar.

You could also trash a couple of cheap items to create backpack space and then buy something expensive to use some gold and go from there.

Explorer
Nov 16, 2016
You could also move items from your backpack to your bank, attic, dorm room/house, unless those are also completely full, to free up backpack space.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
you can put some valuable stuff in gear and seed vaults as well.

To get rid of gold, buy expensive reagents.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
you can also quick sell things right from the backpack. When you're at full gold, you'll simply lose the profits you would normally earn from it. I do that all the time. You could also trash an item, then hit the bazaar, and buy the most expensive hat, robe, or boots you can find. Then, just sell everything back. This is also why KI DESPERATELY needs to get rid of the gold cap.

Survivor
Aug 24, 2013
I totally agree with you about the gold cap

Survivor
Feb 01, 2019
You could give me all of your gold lol.

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
All up for a gold cap increase or unlimited cap.

While I'm not always at the max since I hatch (which is a good thing to use all your gold on if you're at max!) and etc, every once in a while when I go questing I get a crap ton of gear and it clogs up my gold and backpack space.

Just remember gold is easy to get, it's in game currency. If you're ever in extreme need of gold you can do a couple rounds in Vestrilund and sell all the gear for gold

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Cat had an idea about this.

She mentioned that the game could implement Gold Bars.

So, for example, if we're at max gold, we could possibly convert 200,000 gold pieces to one gold bar, store that in our bank and continue on our way.

Then repeat the process. It also doesn't even have to be that high amount, can be as low as say 50,000.

It's a very effective means of handling the gold situation while keeping the so heavily treasured "gold cap" in tact since KI has not signaled any removal of this.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2018
Star Edward on Feb 26, 2019 wrote:
Well, you can:

Discard Items - You can simply trash some of the items in your bag pack to free up more space.

Use Bank - Temporarily store some of your items in your bank/shared bank and return to them later when you're wanting to sell.

Spend Gold on Spells - If you garden, consider learning a few more gardening spells, likewise if you fish or do monstrology.

Elixirs - If you've a few crowns to spare, consider buying the elixirs that expands your bag pack. It really does help having that extra space!

Buy More Items After Storage - After storing your items temporarily, spend your gold on more items, possibly gear or furniture sets (such as those in the crown shop).

Yep! Star Edward pretty much nailed it. I've had this problem countless times, and I just delete them.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Star Edward on Feb 28, 2019 wrote:
Cat had an idea about this.

She mentioned that the game could implement Gold Bars.

So, for example, if we're at max gold, we could possibly convert 200,000 gold pieces to one gold bar, store that in our bank and continue on our way.

Then repeat the process. It also doesn't even have to be that high amount, can be as low as say 50,000.

It's a very effective means of handling the gold situation while keeping the so heavily treasured "gold cap" in tact since KI has not signaled any removal of this.

So many of us were excited when they introduced the gold piles, thinking it was given as a solution to the problem of gold storage and passing gold between wizards. We were so disappointed when the buy/sell prices were so extreme it rendered them useless.

I think all wizards would appreciate either removal of the gold cap completely, or increasing the gold cap significantly (eg quadruple it), or adding 'gold bars' (or similar) that have buy/sell prices that retain gold value. The routes we have to go through to move gold between characters and store gold can be tedious and time consuming. This would provide a quick and easy solution.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Definitely!

It seems KI's solution to the Gold Cap problem was to increase the gold spent on side activity spells and some furniture.

While this method worked for a short period of time, it wasn't a permanent fix.

The ones mentioned will be a much more feasible problem to the issue.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Here's what I'd do...

1. Feed stuff you don't want to your pet. If you don't want to feed anything to your pet, then just delete something.
2. Look in the gear section and buy the most expensive item you can find. You can sort the items by cost by clicking the word 'cost' at the top of the column. Do it twice to sort with most expensive items first.
3. After you have bought something, go on a selling spree, selling off all the stuff you don't want to keep.
4. Buy one or two more expensive items.
5. Put the expensive items in your regular bank. Next time you need gold in a pinch, use the Bank Sell option.

Next, craft a few gear/jewel/seed vaults and use them. You'll be amazed at how much room you wind up having when you don't want to get rid of stuff, but don't want it to clutter your backpack or bank.

I don't recommend buying TC to 'store gold' because then it starts using up your TC space. If you decide to do it though, look for a deck that holds a lot of TC, rename it to "Treasure Cards" and load it up. It's one thing to me to get TC as drops, but I think the return ratio is better on items. Using a second account as TC banks works also.