Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Garden Pots devour Seeds

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
I used an elixer to level a character up to 50 and began gardening for him. He owns the Getaway Island and the Winter Wind Tower. He is a level 1 gardener, level 50 Storm Wizard. I discovered I could not plow plots for land on either Getaway Island or the Winter Wind Tower (even though the Getaway Island says a spot is good for gardening) so I decided to try some Gardening Pots. Imagine my surprise when the pots went down just fine, but when I put a seed in them, the seed vanishes!

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Go to Getaway Island and put down a normal small pot (purchasable from Farley)
2. Put a Dandelion seed in the pot, the seed vanishes from your inventory, but no seedling shows in pot.
3. Drag ANOTHER Dandelion seed to the same pot.
4. Seed doesn't vanish from inventory, but also doesn't show in pot as if the pot already had a plant.
5. Put down a NEW normal pot (from Farley)
6. Plant Dandelion Seed into new pot, Seed vanishes from inventory, but no seedling in pot.

I captured a video at https://youtu.be/2pvyy5z5P3E starting at step 3 (I already had a pot with a missing seedling in it and the first thing I do is try to put another seed in it)

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
So I have an update to this. 12 hours after I tried to plant the plants, the plants showed up.. as did the plots I had tried, and failed, to dig in the ground. Interestingly enough, I had moved one of the pots that appeared to be empty to a new spot to another location and now have Dandelions floating and growing in mid air.

I'm not sure what things make a difference on this bit of weirdness.

1. This is a first level character who drank a level 50 elixer.
2. After drinking the potion and doing some quests, he started the gardening quest with Farley.
3. He had new homes.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Are you able to pick up the pot, or plant another seed in the same pot? Have you left and returned to your house to see if the seed appears? Keep visiting your house at least twice a day for a few days and see if the gardening icon shows any needs. If so, the seeds could have been misplaced somewhere. It's happened to me, where a seed appeared high up in the sky instead of in a plot.

There is definitely something going on no matter how you look at it, but the extra information could be helpful.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Boojum Bunny on Feb 4, 2019 wrote:
So I have an update to this. 12 hours after I tried to plant the plants, the plants showed up.. as did the plots I had tried, and failed, to dig in the ground. Interestingly enough, I had moved one of the pots that appeared to be empty to a new spot to another location and now have Dandelions floating and growing in mid air.

I'm not sure what things make a difference on this bit of weirdness.

1. This is a first level character who drank a level 50 elixer.
2. After drinking the potion and doing some quests, he started the gardening quest with Farley.
3. He had new homes.
I was going to suggest logging out and back in or waiting to see if they appeared. The same thing happened to me when I used pots in a barn farm. I ended up trying to sell the barn - picked up everything and went to sell it - only to discover the phantom plants were apparently still there so I couldn't sell! I couple of days later I went back, intending on glitching about to try to find them and they'd magically become visible! I don't think it was just a visual glitch though because I was able to move the pots away without using glitching to pick them up. My plants were floating where they would have been if the pot had still been there.

You haven't done anything wrong, it was just unfortunate that it happened to you while still new to gardening. I've done tons of gardening in loads of different houses, on lots of wizards all at different levels...this weird glitch has only ever happened to me once!

I'd put it down to a glitch and continue as if it never happened. If it happens again in the same house it could be a glitched house and it might be worth replacing it (if available for gold) or asking support to look into it.

As an aside...if you've got pink dandelions or key limes they're really good for gardening XP

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
So I showed up at my house a bunch of times during that day, but the seedlings never showed in the pot until about 12 hours after I planted them. For that matter, plots that I had DUG didn't show up for 12 hours after I dug them. They all showed up after 12 hours.

After the seedlings showed up in the pots I could no longer pick them up, which I believe is the correct behavior. However before the seedlings showed up I picked up one of the long pots (small, 3 small plot plants) and moved it. Now the seedlings that I had planted there are floating in mid air with no pot beneath them... which is kind of cool, but shouldn't be happening.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Boojum Bunny on Feb 5, 2019 wrote:
So I showed up at my house a bunch of times during that day, but the seedlings never showed in the pot until about 12 hours after I planted them. For that matter, plots that I had DUG didn't show up for 12 hours after I dug them. They all showed up after 12 hours.

After the seedlings showed up in the pots I could no longer pick them up, which I believe is the correct behavior. However before the seedlings showed up I picked up one of the long pots (small, 3 small plot plants) and moved it. Now the seedlings that I had planted there are floating in mid air with no pot beneath them... which is kind of cool, but shouldn't be happening.
I wonder if their first trigger (when they change from a seedling to young) caused everything to update and patch?

You're right that we shouldn't be able to pick up pots that have been planted in. I know you did it the normal way and they moved because there was a glitch in the game, but people often remove pots by moving a rug through them when the seed is planted. Your plant will grow exactly the same as it should even though there is no plot/pot beneath it, so don't worry about how it is. You'll still be able to tend to needs and take the harvests

In case you don't know, your plants can grow faster if you put 'like' items near them. This will help you get harvests more quickly and reach elder faster for the drops and XP. You can find the things different plants 'like' by searching them on the wiki. It will give you lots of info about them - drops, growth times, XP, like items, needs/pests to expect...

Here are some links that might be helpful:
Dandelion
Pink Dandelion
Key Limes

I find the wiki a really helpful resource, I hope this is useful to you too

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Victoria FireHeart on Feb 5, 2019 wrote:
I was going to suggest logging out and back in or waiting to see if they appeared. The same thing happened to me when I used pots in a barn farm. I ended up trying to sell the barn - picked up everything and went to sell it - only to discover the phantom plants were apparently still there so I couldn't sell! I couple of days later I went back, intending on glitching about to try to find them and they'd magically become visible! I don't think it was just a visual glitch though because I was able to move the pots away without using glitching to pick them up. My plants were floating where they would have been if the pot had still been there.

You haven't done anything wrong, it was just unfortunate that it happened to you while still new to gardening. I've done tons of gardening in loads of different houses, on lots of wizards all at different levels...this weird glitch has only ever happened to me once!

I'd put it down to a glitch and continue as if it never happened. If it happens again in the same house it could be a glitched house and it might be worth replacing it (if available for gold) or asking support to look into it.

As an aside...if you've got pink dandelions or key limes they're really good for gardening XP
"As an aside...if you've got pink dandelions or key limes they're really good for gardening XP "

Sour Fickle Pickles are better than Pink Dandelions for getting gardening XP and also for drops.
Sour Fickle Pickles can also be found in the Bazaar, while Key Limes and Pink Dandelions cannot.

Pink Dandelions - 20/200 XP during mature/elder harvest.
- Mature drops include common reagents, common housing item, dandelion seed
- Elder includes same thing, with a few reagents and a chance of Ultra Dandelion seed

Sour Fickle Pickles - 200/200 XP
- Elder harvest includes chance at a TC like Extraordinary and Colossal, neither of which can be found in the Bazaar nor can either be traded.

Key Limes - 300/3000XP
- Mature/elder drops include chance at Shocked Key reagent (nice to get) and Key Lime seed.

So for XP, go with Key Limes if you have them, otherwise go with Sour Fickle Pickles, or with both if you want to start stocking up on some good stuff.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Boojum Bunny on Feb 5, 2019 wrote:

"Now the seedlings that I had planted there are floating in mid air with no pot beneath them... which is kind of cool, but shouldn't be happening."

Under normal circumstances, it shouldn't, though you can actually make it happen on purpose, sort of. You can use castle magic to make seeds float in mid air. Put down the planter (single or triple plot), use a reflector to hide the planter, plant the seed(s), then have something activate the reflector (like the Magic Start Detector). Poof, the seed(s) will be floating. Just make sure to plant the seeds BEFORE having the reflector activated, and make sure to have the reflector pointing to the planter BEFORE you plant any seeds. Once the seed is planted, you can't select the planter, and if disappears before you plant any seeds, you won't be able to plant any.

I've done this to provide a King Parsley like for my Couch Potato Garden, so that the planter wouldn't be an obstacle to people moving about. It's marvelous. :)

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Fangs McWolf on Feb 6, 2019 wrote:
"As an aside...if you've got pink dandelions or key limes they're really good for gardening XP "

Sour Fickle Pickles are better than Pink Dandelions for getting gardening XP and also for drops.
Sour Fickle Pickles can also be found in the Bazaar, while Key Limes and Pink Dandelions cannot.

Pink Dandelions - 20/200 XP during mature/elder harvest.
- Mature drops include common reagents, common housing item, dandelion seed
- Elder includes same thing, with a few reagents and a chance of Ultra Dandelion seed

Sour Fickle Pickles - 200/200 XP
- Elder harvest includes chance at a TC like Extraordinary and Colossal, neither of which can be found in the Bazaar nor can either be traded.

Key Limes - 300/3000XP
- Mature/elder drops include chance at Shocked Key reagent (nice to get) and Key Lime seed.

So for XP, go with Key Limes if you have them, otherwise go with Sour Fickle Pickles, or with both if you want to start stocking up on some good stuff.
I wouldn't normally suggest sour fickle pickle for someone completely new to gardening because it has rank 2 pests they won't have the spell for and they get 5 separate needs, which is a pain and energy drain when using individual spells. If pests are not dealt with, no XP will be gained as it prevents harvest.

The OP has 70 energy therefore can do 4 sour fickle pickle or 11 pink dandelions. In one week a novice gardener can get 2400xp from 4 sour fickle pickles (reduced to 800xp if they do not use TC, 0xp if they wilt or die) but they can get 2860xp from 11 pink dandelions without need for TC at all. They can also miss mature harvests of pink dandelions at little cost and still get the bulk of the XP at elder, using the days inbetween to tend other gardening areas if they want to.

The sour fickle pickle TC is good for PvP or crafting housing games (Tag, Scavenger Hunt and Food Fight) but the OP is unlikely to be crafting those as the wizard is level 50 so hasn't reached Avalon yet for the recipes.

Pink dandelions are good for doubling up on benefits too so they can be used to craft seed vaults, which are very handy for any gardening wizard

Key limes are great for gathering shocked keys for crafting or selling at a very high price in the bazaar

Once the OP has leveled up in gardening and got a few more spells there are a lot of other plants that would be helpful and give good drops...but honestly, unless the OP really wants the no trade TC for PvP or crafting, I would not be recommending sour fickle pickle even then...they gobble energy and by that stage 200XP at elder is low compared to the multitude of plants that can be used that give 3000xp.

As I said, it was just an aside for if his main wizard had some seeds already

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Fangs McWolf on Feb 7, 2019 wrote:
"Now the seedlings that I had planted there are floating in mid air with no pot beneath them... which is kind of cool, but shouldn't be happening."

Under normal circumstances, it shouldn't, though you can actually make it happen on purpose, sort of. You can use castle magic to make seeds float in mid air. Put down the planter (single or triple plot), use a reflector to hide the planter, plant the seed(s), then have something activate the reflector (like the Magic Start Detector). Poof, the seed(s) will be floating. Just make sure to plant the seeds BEFORE having the reflector activated, and make sure to have the reflector pointing to the planter BEFORE you plant any seeds. Once the seed is planted, you can't select the planter, and if disappears before you plant any seeds, you won't be able to plant any.

I've done this to provide a King Parsley like for my Couch Potato Garden, so that the planter wouldn't be an obstacle to people moving about. It's marvelous. :)
You can completely remove it if you want!

Get a tatami mat and put it down on the floor, then click to move it. Hover it through the pot then rotate it until it catches on the pot (I use the full stop or comma to rotate). Now move it back to the floor and place it. The pot and mat will be on the floor together, click the mat and pick it up. It will pick up the mat and the pot! No pot to trip over, no use of valuable item slots in your home and no expensive castle magic

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Victoria FireHeart on Feb 7, 2019 wrote:
I wouldn't normally suggest sour fickle pickle for someone completely new to gardening because it has rank 2 pests they won't have the spell for and they get 5 separate needs, which is a pain and energy drain when using individual spells. If pests are not dealt with, no XP will be gained as it prevents harvest.

The OP has 70 energy therefore can do 4 sour fickle pickle or 11 pink dandelions. In one week a novice gardener can get 2400xp from 4 sour fickle pickles (reduced to 800xp if they do not use TC, 0xp if they wilt or die) but they can get 2860xp from 11 pink dandelions without need for TC at all. They can also miss mature harvests of pink dandelions at little cost and still get the bulk of the XP at elder, using the days inbetween to tend other gardening areas if they want to.

The sour fickle pickle TC is good for PvP or crafting housing games (Tag, Scavenger Hunt and Food Fight) but the OP is unlikely to be crafting those as the wizard is level 50 so hasn't reached Avalon yet for the recipes.

Pink dandelions are good for doubling up on benefits too so they can be used to craft seed vaults, which are very handy for any gardening wizard

Key limes are great for gathering shocked keys for crafting or selling at a very high price in the bazaar

Once the OP has leveled up in gardening and got a few more spells there are a lot of other plants that would be helpful and give good drops...but honestly, unless the OP really wants the no trade TC for PvP or crafting, I would not be recommending sour fickle pickle even then...they gobble energy and by that stage 200XP at elder is low compared to the multitude of plants that can be used that give 3000xp.

As I said, it was just an aside for if his main wizard had some seeds already
All it takes is to harvest one and then poof, level three and can buy and use the level two pest spells. I did it on a low level wizard of mine and it worked out just fine. While at a low level, do the gardening, do some questing, then before a level up, check on the garden and use any spells necessary. Level up and finish off the gardening (if needed), then continue on questing. Not hard to keep the needs at bay.

No pot to trip over, no use of valuable item slots in your home and no expensive castle magic
Castle magic isn't expensive to me. I have no problems with getting gold to spend. :)

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Fangs McWolf on Feb 7, 2019 wrote:
All it takes is to harvest one and then poof, level three and can buy and use the level two pest spells. I did it on a low level wizard of mine and it worked out just fine. While at a low level, do the gardening, do some questing, then before a level up, check on the garden and use any spells necessary. Level up and finish off the gardening (if needed), then continue on questing. Not hard to keep the needs at bay.

No pot to trip over, no use of valuable item slots in your home and no expensive castle magic
Castle magic isn't expensive to me. I have no problems with getting gold to spend. :)
I hear what you're saying and I was just explaining why I made the suggestions I made for someone completely new to gardening. I try to make helpful posts for the benefit of the anyone who is part of the discussion but also anyone reading the thread - either now or later, whether they have the ability to comment or not.

You are not new to gardening and find your method easy, but that's not the case for all new gardeners. You may have access to plenty of gold, but that's not always the case for every other wizard. You don't need any of what I'm saying, but someone else reading it might find it helpful

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm explaining my thoughts and suggestions so anyone reading this can use the useful info from both of us and decide what they want to do