Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hybrid School Spells :)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 21, 2011
I believe there have been similar ideas around the Dorms here and there so forgive me if this had been suggested recently.

I believe there is more we can do with our schools of magic than simply offer them stronger spells along with higher pip cost. This concept loses it's touch as you get your 2nd shadow enchanted damage spell, which are incredibly powerful. Therefore, I would like to suggest the integration of Hybrid School Spells.

Hybrid School Spells are unique spells that borrow certain aspects common in both schools and share it with each other through the spell's utility.

What originally brought me to this idea of merging school spells are the crafted gear recipes offered between levels 10 and 55. Many of the recipes create gear that benefit the stats for your own school and another school of your choosing. Even the game suggests using training points to train a secondary school.

Most people say that you should only train spells outside your school that will support the spells you do have. Mostly everyone follows: Train to feint, to tower shield, ele/spirit blades, and to satyr. I believe this takes away from the potential to create a really unique skill set capable of more than just the mainstream wizard with their school specific set.

I am suggesting to take the concept of a secondary school and put a unique twist (using the game mechanic of crafting) to create spells from two different schools and personalize your own unique play-style. As well, add hybrid crafted gear again up to max level to accommodate these spells.

Scenario 1: I want my life wizard to be more viable in shorter enemy encounters. My Life wizard has crafted gear that gives me gear boosts to support those schools. I also trained up to Meteor Strike so I have an efficient 4 pip hit-all spell to benefit from my fire damage. I have both Nature's Wrath and Meteor strike trained, so I can combine Nature's Wrath TC with Meteor Strike TC as well as other reagents to create the hybrid card:
Forest Fire
4 Pips

275 damage + 275 damage over two rounds to all enemies

Hybrid cards can benefit from the hybrid gear boosts and give a school like life a useful low-pip hit-all.
Scenario 2: I want my death wizard to be more viable as a healer. My death wizard has crafted gear that gives me gear boosts to support those schools. I also trained up to Satyr to benefit my role as a healer. I have both Scarecrow and Satyr trained, so I combine Scarecrow TC with Satyr TC as well as other reagents to create the hybrid card:
Soul Connection
7 Pips
300 damage to all enemies, convert half to , 200 damage to all enemies, heal all allies damage dealt

Perhaps the hybrid spells should be no-pvp to maintain some sort of balance. Hybrid spell crafting is available at level 50 to prevent lower level confusion. I hope you like this idea, create some of your own, or explain why it may not work. Probably won't happen but we can dream

- Noah Silverblood

Survivor
May 21, 2011
UPDATE: I'd actually like to update this thread investigating an error I made in my statement about available crafted gear with dual school stats.

Originally I stated: "What originally brought me to this idea of merging school spells are the crafted gear recipes offered between levels 10 and 55."

There is actually crafted gear recipes for dual school stats offered between levels 55 and 96, but only for robes and boots. As far as I know, hats do not offer these stats past 55. You can also find dual stats on crown shop packs and bundles, but I wanted to focus on crafted gear.

While I'm here I'd like to offer some other examples for hybrid spells

Scenario 3: I want my myth wizard to be more viable in a supportive role. My myth wizard has crafted gear that gives me gear boosts to support those schools. I also trained up to Donate Power so I can share pips with my teammates. I have both Draw Power and Donate Power trained, so I can combine Draw Power TC with Donate Power TC as well as other reagents to create the hybrid card:
Minion Reversal
2 Pips
Gain the ability for the next 3 Rounds to use spells listed as "minion only" spells on yourself and allies

This hybrid card can benefit myth in group play to increase their supportive abilities through blades (Buff Minion), heals (Mend Minion), and shields (Shield Minion).

Scenario 4: I want my
storm wizard to be able to deal with shields more efficiently. My storm wizard has crafted gear that gives me gear boosts to support those schools. I also trained up to Minotaur to help bypass single shields that can halt my strategy. I have both Sirens and Minotaur trained, so I combine Sirens TC with Minotaur TC as well as other reagents to create the hybrid card:
The Three Muses
8 Pips
50 damage and Prism if enemy detected, 500 damage to all enemies, Dispel to all enemies

As well I'd like to mention that I've started a life wizard with a fire mastery as an experiment to see how completely dual stating and training a wizard will fair. Currently he is level 63 trained life up to Forest Lord with all side quest spells, and fire up to Helephant. His statistics include:
71% damage, 58% damage
39% critical, 44% fire critical
8% critical block to all
10% accuracy, 12% accuracy
75% pip chance
15% incoming and outgoing healing
Attempted Javascript Attack With COLOR
If I think of more ideas I'll add another post I hope you like some of these ideas or they inspire you to create your own.
- Noah SilverBlood