Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balancing PvP turns

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 30, 2012
Everyone knows in PVP the person who goes first has a massive advantage over the person who goes second.
The person who goes first never has to predict attacks and waste heals.
If the person going first gets a trap on him, he can shield after the trap, because the person going second can't combo him in time.
If the person going first traps someone right before an attack, and the person going second didn't shield, they will eat major damage.

I think this could be balanced if there was a sort of "meta turn based system".

You don't have to get rid of the first-second dynamic. Instead what can be done is something like this. A player goes first for x amount of turns, then s/he swaps to going second for x amount of turns, or x+1 amount of turns or something.

The way I envision it was the person who starts out going first, goes first for three turns. Then every time it swaps for 5 turns, and every 5 turns after that (in other words 3 turns first, 5 turns later).

It can be other ways too, like maybe just every 4 turns, or maybe it grows, so it starts for 3 turns, then 4 turns, then 5 (up to a potential cap?).

Thoughts?

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Myurtl on Jan 4, 2019 wrote:
Everyone knows in PVP the person who goes first has a massive advantage over the person who goes second.
If the person going first gets a trap on him, he can shield after the trap, because the person going second can't combo him in time.
If the person going first traps someone right before an attack, and the person going second didn't shield, they will eat major damage.

You don't have to get rid of the first-second dynamic. Instead what can be done is something like this. A player goes first for x amount of turns, then s/he swaps to going second for x amount of turns, or x+1 amount of turns or something.

The way I envision it was the person who starts out going first, goes first for three turns. Then every time it swaps for 5 turns, and every 5 turns after that (in other words 3 turns first, 5 turns later).

It can be other ways too, like maybe just every 4 turns, or maybe it grows, so it starts for 3 turns, then 4 turns, then 5 (up to a potential cap?).

Thoughts?
Great idea! except there is only one problem not only would this make it x3 advantage over second but there is a possible guarantee for sure now if this was implemented at max level the person going first could actually one shot second player if he/she uses the feint strategy. My idea is quite simple before dealing with turn base nerf and buff spells are required. General maintenance is necessary for these spells because most are simply outdated in terms of effects and some are just too overpowered. As for turn base, I suggest making it a bit fair as only the person going second should get a double turn. Example if player one shields second player can remove the shield and make an attempted hit or shield into a dot. Then it shifts back to player one as a reg turn wala problem solve.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
Myurtl on Jan 4, 2019 wrote:

Thoughts?
I think if your going to do an idea like this then the amount of turns needs to be the same every time or it's still not very fair to the players.

For example you go first and have it for 3 turns you get some damage done but not enough to win. Now your opponent is first for 5 turns 2 more than you just got. Due to the random luck that curses max level pvp you got no shadow pips in your turns but you opponent got them and now has a way to destroy you and time to shield as well so you can't turn the tables thanks to the extra 2 turns they get to go first.

If the number of turns going first increases every time it swaps I could also see matches getting really long and dragged out just like juju spamming used too. Even if you cap it people will simply shield and heal until their turn to go first comes around again. It will essentially turn into a match where you have to one shot your opponent in a certain amount of turns or no one will ever win.

That being said while I like the idea if number of turns stays the same for both players some other issues like jade gear need to be taken care of before doing it. This type of thing would make facing a life guardian spammer even worse than it is now. You can't really defeat them from second now and even from first it's a challenge with matches taking up to half an hour to take them down. If you keep losing first turn to them periodically you will never win.

All in all though I do like the idea. There are just other issues that really need looking at first before doing something like this so that it can work the way you intend for it too.

Survivor
Sep 30, 2012
angellifeheart on Jan 4, 2019 wrote:
Great idea! except there is only one problem not only would this make it x3 advantage over second but there is a possible guarantee for sure now if this was implemented at max level the person going first could actually one shot second player if he/she uses the feint strategy. My idea is quite simple before dealing with turn base nerf and buff spells are required. General maintenance is necessary for these spells because most are simply outdated in terms of effects and some are just too overpowered. As for turn base, I suggest making it a bit fair as only the person going second should get a double turn. Example if player one shields second player can remove the shield and make an attempted hit or shield into a dot. Then it shifts back to player one as a reg turn wala problem solve.
Well here's the thing about the possible guarantee. This is still way more fair than what we have now. Any OP strategy that this could bring with it could already be implemented in the game the way it is now.

You could also swap back and forth between who goes first and who goes second after just each round. That gives each player a "double turn" in a sense (they get to do two things before the other player goes).

Survivor
Sep 30, 2012
Luvdogs99 on Jan 6, 2019 wrote:
I think if your going to do an idea like this then the amount of turns needs to be the same every time or it's still not very fair to the players.

For example you go first and have it for 3 turns you get some damage done but not enough to win. Now your opponent is first for 5 turns 2 more than you just got. Due to the random luck that curses max level pvp you got no shadow pips in your turns but you opponent got them and now has a way to destroy you and time to shield as well so you can't turn the tables thanks to the extra 2 turns they get to go first.

If the number of turns going first increases every time it swaps I could also see matches getting really long and dragged out just like juju spamming used too. Even if you cap it people will simply shield and heal until their turn to go first comes around again. It will essentially turn into a match where you have to one shot your opponent in a certain amount of turns or no one will ever win.

That being said while I like the idea if number of turns stays the same for both players some other issues like jade gear need to be taken care of before doing it. This type of thing would make facing a life guardian spammer even worse than it is now. You can't really defeat them from second now and even from first it's a challenge with matches taking up to half an hour to take them down. If you keep losing first turn to them periodically you will never win.

All in all though I do like the idea. There are just other issues that really need looking at first before doing something like this so that it can work the way you intend for it too.
What about going back and forth every 2 turns, or every 3 turns, with no increase? The person going second no longer really needs an extra pip to start with in this case (though they also didn't in the other case).

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Myurtl on Jan 8, 2019 wrote:
Well here's the thing about the possible guarantee. This is still way more fair than what we have now. Any OP strategy that this could bring with it could already be implemented in the game the way it is now.

You could also swap back and forth between who goes first and who goes second after just each round. That gives each player a "double turn" in a sense (they get to do two things before the other player goes).
well yea lol that's pretty much what I was stating and if this was the case both players will start off with 5 pips at max level.