Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I'm this close

AuthorMessage
Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I've been trying to enhance my Ghastly Opossum for max critical and can't seem to get him a higher score than 89. He carries a recessive of pain-giver and some derby thing and I'd like to breed those out. The opossums I hatch him with have crit numbers of 112 but also off talents like pain giver and derby something. I remember you saying I should try to breed out the talents I don't want but even with a Deathadactyl I get the same thing. I'm not hard to please. Crit and blades. Must have blades. Who should I hatch him with to get rid of the off talents? I've tried Sir Snuggles, Buttercup, Oliver, Lorenzo, and Duke Charlie. Advice please. Oh, and another thing. Most of the star jewels are more geared toward derby and I don't race any of my pets. I could use a power pip star and a double blade card star.

Thank you
Christina Soulshard lvl 84 Death

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The numbers, or at least some of them are not adding up quite well.

What do you mean exactly by "I hatch him with have crit numbers of 112?"
Are you implying that all the critical talents on the pet create this overall sum off 112?

Also, the 89 your Opossum has I'm guessing is it's Pedigree you're referring to.

Remember, a pet's pedigree only reflects the combined figure of epic/ultra-rare etc. talents a pet has within it's pool both Derby and Battle.

So, instead of focusing on increasing your pet's pedigree, your focus should be on it's stats (Agility, Strength etc.)
This is where you want to place some attention to along with it's talent pool.

One way to get rid of a selfish talent is through consistent hatching. Meaning, you hatch your pet with another several times. The offspring you get, you raise it to adult. Stop, hatch again (preferably with the same pet or a pet with identical stats and talents you're looking for) then raise this offspring to ancient.

If it fails, use your adult pet to hatch again.

The selfish, sticky talent may find it's way back, but don't get too discouraged when this happens; just hatch again.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
Ok, when you open the "book" at the kiosk the left page is your pet and the right page are pets you can hatch with. I pull up the opossum pages and scroll through looking. A talent entry will say Critical Strike 31 ( and then have the sparkling wand). The right end of the entry line shows a circle that looks like a shield. Most of those have critical stats. So they're called different talents: critical strike, death strike, critical xxxx, I can't remember what all of them are worded as. It's the numbers with the sparkling wand I'm adding up. The cumulative critical number for Duke Charlie comes to 112. That number contains 4 different sparkling wand talents. I've never paid attention to pedigree so please explain exactly what you're talking about and where I'm supposed to be looking on the "page". I've hatched several times with pets that have the cumulative critical talent number of 112 and I'm beginning to wonder if there's a ceiling on how much critical talent each pet is allowed to have. I will go back to the kiosk tomorrow and try to figure out what I'm supposed to be looking at. Thank you for helping me through this.

Christina Soulshard lvl 86 Death

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
colocrys on Jan 6, 2019 wrote:
Ok, when you open the "book" at the kiosk the left page is your pet and the right page are pets you can hatch with. I pull up the opossum pages and scroll through looking. A talent entry will say Critical Strike 31 ( and then have the sparkling wand). The right end of the entry line shows a circle that looks like a shield. Most of those have critical stats. So they're called different talents: critical strike, death strike, critical xxxx, I can't remember what all of them are worded as. It's the numbers with the sparkling wand I'm adding up. The cumulative critical number for Duke Charlie comes to 112. That number contains 4 different sparkling wand talents. I've never paid attention to pedigree so please explain exactly what you're talking about and where I'm supposed to be looking on the "page". I've hatched several times with pets that have the cumulative critical talent number of 112 and I'm beginning to wonder if there's a ceiling on how much critical talent each pet is allowed to have. I will go back to the kiosk tomorrow and try to figure out what I'm supposed to be looking at. Thank you for helping me through this.

Christina Soulshard lvl 86 Death
With max stats the highest is 112 unless we add selfish talents to boost agility, will and power. I'm not sure what the max is or which selfish talents you'd need but you're correct that 112 is currently the highest we can get just from the base talent and base stats

[school] Assailant 32
Critical Striker 31
[school] striker 26
Critical Hitter 23

To increase your total above 89 hatch to increase the stats (the numbers beside strength, agility etc). The max is 255 250 260 260 250 going from top to bottom.

255 strength
250 intellect
260 agility
260 will
250 power

I recommend increasing all stat bars but if you want to be selective focus on agility, will and power.

I hope this helps!

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
An interesting thing happened when I went back to the kiosk after I wrote back to Edward. The suggestion is always to keep hatching until you come up with the talents you want. So just for grins I tried one more time. I hatched my strongest opossum with another guy named Young Edward (just a coincidence folks) who had my favorite indicator of sparkly wand score of 112 and a pedigree of 72. Five minutes later I had Constable Cooper and we started to train. For the first 3 levels we did great and I ended up with 3 sparkly wand talents. Approaching the end of the 4th level of training I was preparing myself for the disappointment of getting a lesser talent for my efforts and BINGO!!! Finishing the 4th level of training got me another critical talent - that's 4 critical talents on one pet. That's what I wanted all along. The constable's sparkly wand score is 109 and he's really helping me kick - well, win in my duels. Later on when the training is at double XP again I'll train him up to Epic and see what else he's got. Thank you for the good vibes Edward and thank you Victoria for the numbers. I printed your entry. Now I'm going back to help my Pyromancer get a better pet. The one she has is weak. Until next time.

Christina Soulshard lvl 87 Death
Sydney Skyblood lvl 96 Fire

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Congrats on getting your critical pet!

I however recommend you cease training at Epic and hatch again using it (in case it fails at Mega).

Also, try creating a pet which has some damage talents such as in your case Fire-Giver and Pain-Giver.