Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best School?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 03, 2018
So, I know this may cause a few outbursts over what is the best school, but since it is the new year, I want to see how far I can get in the game before 2019 is over. I have had a wizard in every class but I know each school will have their own struggle at some point within the game.

I love my life wizard (Matthew level 52) and I loved my death (Autumn DawnHeart level 84) and fire (Kimberly level 67) but I want something new. Any thoughts?

Survivor
Jan 28, 2010
Well, to me, life and storm are my two favorites. Although really good options are ice, death, and balance as well. These schools I listed are fairly overpowered late game. But if you struggle early game, the best option would be death. Death is also amazing for soloing since many spells heal you in return for damage. If you are playing with other people, life and balance are the two best in my opinion. Myth and fire are both really fun but challenging throughout the game for various reasons. Playing as fire, you encounter several fire-resistant bosses which really hinder you to progress if you solo. Myth is overall just a difficult school. It's easy to solo with, but hard to get adjusted to. Overall I recommend you choose a school that you like because all those differences are minor and easy to work around.

Thanks for reading

Lv 130
Lv 121
Lv 100
Lv 98

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Take the Book of Secrets test! What comes out may fit your attitude perfectly, if it's not a school you already have.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The schools you've been using, with probably the exception of are schools that require patience and some amount of technicalities to play.

So, why each school as you mentioned has their strengths and weaknesses, how about you try something new?

I recommend either and/or .

I'll always be a strong advocate for because of the raw power that's infused within the school. Unlike the schools you've been exposed to before, storm takes a more braver, risker gameplay. It's a school that doesn't require much waiting like and but rather, embraces a rash gameplay.

on the other hand is one of the more patient and all rounded schools. If you like and , then you'll also enjoy . The school is great in both teamplay and solo. You'll be equipped with unique spells that can turn the battle around in most situations; something that most schools lack.

So, give those two a try. If you need further advice, let us know!

Survivor
May 21, 2012
I personally love Death, Ice, and Storm. I have mostly been a solo player, except for the hardcore dungeons and end bosses. Normally get to Mooshu on my own. Anyways, schools. I like to play around with multiclassing.

Death+Fire
Ice+Storm+Fire
Storm+Life

But it all depends on what you are looking to be your style of playing. I made my ice wizard (lvl49) for the health and defense, and training in the other two elemental schools for damage. I also think about how I can maximize effectiveness. The balance blades and traps for example, I can use all three elements. I am playing around with Myth currently, and are leaning towards balance as the secondary school at the moment. I am gonna try Balance as the main soon as well.

lvs: 52/19
lv: 49
lv: 48/15
lv: 5

Survivor
Nov 24, 2015
It really depends on your play style. My personal favorite is my . I've taken him farther than I've taken any of my other wizards. is a close second for me. I prefer killing mobs quickly and hitting with a lot of power.

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
*all written below is my opinion on how you should pick schools without the test*
Schools to me, are based on play style mainly for the best school. There is no best since everyone has their favorite. However, my favorite school has to be Fire. As biased as it is since she was my first wizard, I think fire is one of the most rounded schools in general.
Playstyles:
A) When I play I tend to rely on setting up and hitting as quick as I can, so I have little to no defensive spells put in my deck. Since I'm mostly a solo player, I can't worry about healing so I hit quick and don't heal that often.
This type of play style is better suited for hitting schools such as storm and fire, but also in general if you like solo play.
B) Then there's people who are very defensive, and slowly take on battles with a team and support others while hitting as well. This is usually for slower gameplay as well, but also making lots more friends and learning to use a variety of spells both in your school and from other schools. You also learn how to work with a team and use your turns to their fullest.
C) A mixture of both play types. This would be soloing some of what you do, but you don't mind working in a team and can adjust your gameplay to help others. You'd have the ability to hit as well and you tend to even out who you are helping in a battle including yourself.
Schools:
Group A: fire and myth
Group B: life, ice, balance, and storm
Group C: ALL

Schools fit for *all* types of gameplay: Death, fire, and myth
Death, fire, and myth are all pretty well rounded schools that can solo but also be extremely helpful and valuable in groups and work for any type of gameplay style.

Now all schools also have different tactics that you have to use to be successful with your spells. I listed a few for each school below:
Myth: That 0 pip minion? Use him as long as you can, and he'll chip away some health while you set up
Fire: Use your overtime to your advantage
Ice: Your insane amount of health gives you enough time to hit multiple times and set up and defend
Life: While healing is the assumed job for this school, your hits aren't useless.
Death: You can heal at the same time as hitting, so the more damage you do, the more health you also gain
Storm: Having someone accompany you is critical at times, but your hits are super powerful and health is low making you a target. Keep an eye on your opponent
Balance: You can buff all schools with your spells, and hit as your own making you critical to team. You also can only be shielded with tower shield/resist

Regardless, all schools are fun. All schools have certain playstyles, so that's what I'd pick. But if you're looking for a good bit of nostalgia, do the test (it's based on gemstone). Some schools can start out boring but really get over powered and fun when the game picks up speed in the story!

Survivor
Feb 17, 2019
They are all good. But that's kind of biased coming from a wizard.