Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Moon shift spells and pip requirement drawbacks

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Hi, I was just wondering about the cost to cast these spells for 3 pips? but when am down with 3 power pips which is 6 pips total. Will this be eventually fixed to accommodate casting? astral spells have always cost 0 pips to cast and I understand giving the effect these cards have I believe the pip cost should be reduced to 1 pip. Please let me know if you agree.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
While I do agree that 3 pips for these sort of off-school spells is too much, I'm a bit iffy on changing them like this. Most of them would be fine, but there's a few that just seem like they really shouldn't be 1 pip.

Dread Paladin: This would be mostly fine. It'd become a glorified Midnight Sprite, and Midnight Sprite is already fine. Similar spells seem to be fine as well except for Fire Beetle, whose problem seems to stem from the fact that it places 3 traps. The only thing I'm concerned about here is the possibility that you can spend one pip on an attack that removes Tower Shields while also placing a 45% trap. Sometimes it won't work, but sometimes it will. 45% just seems a bit much.

Grendel: Another Shift whose high-end of the random aftereffect is something that I really don't think should be on a 1-pip spell. Giving everyone a 1-pip dot is probably fine, especially since it wouldn't be effective for non-Fire school shields. A 1-pip dot with a 25% accuracy debuff? Annoying, but probably still fine. A 1-pip dot with a 65% accuracy debuff? Holy cow please don't do that. This is a spell that ranges from "fine if a bit much" at one pip to absurd.

Ogre: Looks like a tall order since you get to do damage, Disarm (same cost), and Pierce all in one, but it should be fine.

Piscean: This would have to be redone entirely. It steals a pip as its aftereffect. You can shut down your opponent's pip generation for as long as you can spam this, while building up your own pips to boot. Even if it doesn't do much damage each cast, there's no chance that this would be fun to go against. Ever.

Sugar Glider: Also fine. Like Ogre, but less of a tall order.

Thornpaw: Would still be terrible.

Greenoak: Unlike the Paladin, this emulates a spell that isn't as universal as Midnight Sprite, mostly because of the accuracy of Storm Beetle. But it has no possibility to place an absurdly large buff for one pip. Should be fine, I think?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
The shift spells, while a good idea, really didnt play out because of the cost. I have no problem having them cost pips, but since there's no way to use powerpips, they're not worth the training point, mana, and pips it takes to cast them. I have always said these spells are best used as maycast spells on gear, and wands make the most sense for this. I WISH we could build our own wands. By that I mean we can choose the school's wand hits, and we can choose the maycast shift spells to use. The game would use all wand stats specific to those schools based off of current trends. So, if I wanted to use:

off school wand that gave the same off school's shift spell, or

same school all around, or
off school wand and same school shift

I could do any of those options. This way, it maximized how we can use them, have a low rate of fire, and allows ACTUAL customization to happen.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
use an empower and then a shift spell. Voila, no power pips. I watch my white pips and when I have one or two I am a bit more likely to use a shift greenoak. For three pips I can remove a weakness, beak a shield, place a weakness, do a bit of damage, and get a blade. I think that's a pretty good bargain.