Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet talents!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 24, 2015
I would like to suggest something that I'm sure plenty of other players would love to have. I'd suggest a small fee payable towards a pet & you could see whats in its pool. Perhaps 50-100 crowns to see this. Then maybe a bigger fee to where you could choose which talent, maybe 100 at teen, but going up by 200 every "age". Maybe as such was done with tournaments, maybe make members able to purchase this for gold instead, maybe 5,000 gold to see the talents, starting the talent choosing with 5,000, but bumping it up 10,000 per age. I think this would be great & make people much less frustrated with the game as far as pet training!

Survivor
Jun 17, 2013
I feel that it should be more like 1,000 crowns for teen and adds a thousand each time because everyone who is a 60,000 crowns person could open all their pets to see what they get a teen and even i think 1,000 crowns is a rip off
Blaze 54

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
It's been suggested before that there be a way to see all the talents that are available from a pet. Not saying that to discourage you, but to let you know, you're not alone. My hope is that if enough people keep suggesting it, that K.I. will finally make it happen.

Though, I believe that there should be limits. For example, not available on first generation pets. I know some will disagree with this, but when getting a first generation pet, what that pet offers (especially when it's a pet new to the game) should be a mystery. (If you want to know, then you can always look for the information online to see what the talents are for it.)

For hatches, then have a two level system, where the first potion reveals talents that were known and carried over from the parents, and the second potion (same potion) reveals the rest of them. (ex., if one parent has all talents known, but the other only has a couple of developed talents (rest unknown), then any unknown talents that are carried over would remain unknown during the first potion, but revealed when using the second potion.)

To add, using a potion should not have any affect on what talents actually develop, only reveal the possibilities.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
I would honestly love something like this to happen simply because most of us who are serious pet hatchers end up spending this type of money anyway. It takes crowns to hatch more than once in a day unless you manage your time carefully and most people don't have the patience to take a month to make the perfect pet when it could only take them a couple of days or a week.

A system where I could pay to see the talents my pet will get ahead of time only speeds up how fast I'm having to buy crowns because now not only am I buying potions to reset my timer on failed hatches faster I'm also spending crowns to see talents too. All in all everyone is happy. I get to not waste several hours on training failed pets and KI makes money on me buying to see what talents my pet will get.

On the other hand though this might also cost KI money which might be why they don't implement a system like this. People buy crowns to get energy potions too. For pets being trained to epic, mega, or ultra even on a max wizard with full energy gear I usually need at least 1 potion for epic and 2 for mega or ultra. If I'm going straight from baby to ultra from full energy I end up buying 3-4 potions (depends on how well I play the dance game or if I'm lazy and just feed snacks only, and if double xp is on). That's 750-1,000 crowns per pet.

KI makes a lot of money off those of us who have bad pet luck and have 6 or more failed hatches that don't fail until mega. This system idea while awesome and really wanted would have to be pretty expensive too to make up for what they would no longer be getting in energy potions. Right now 2 failed pets is potentially a $5 dollar buy for crowns, that's kinda hard to beat.

Timer Reset Potions x Energy Potions = lots of money spent for perfect pet

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I've mentioned before that it might be good to have a 'sneak peek' option where a player can pay a small donation of crowns to peek at the next talent that will manifest. Players who use it would be able to train to the next talent with confidence or make the decision to hatch again without having to manifest a fail talent first.

I know revealing the unmanifested talents in pool can be helpful to see what's in the pool but I think a random reveal like that would cause a lot of players who are new or inexperienced with pets to waste a lot of crowns for info that is of little or no benefit to them. Seeing the next talent that will manifest can be useful regardless of what it reveals as it helps the player decide their next step - to train or not to train, that is the question!

I also don't think it should go beyond the next talent. EG if I want to see ancient, epic and mega I would have to do this step by step.

I'm not sure what pricing would be appropriate but increments of 50c seems suitable in my mind (though maybe KI would be more generous). Teen = 50c; adult = 100c; ancient = 150c; epic = 200c; mega = 250c. The max cost would be equivalent of one energy elixir, which seems a fair off-set at mega since many people use energy elixirs at that point. Using the sneak peek would allow them to move on to rehatching instead.

Obviously this would only be used by people willing to use crowns and would act as a short cut to getting their perfect pet, like other crown items (eg energy elixir). I don't need this but when making multiple OP combos on a single body type for sharing, there are loads of times mega is the crunch - eg I've got quad crit, dealer and this pet has trip crit, dealer and I just want proof at mega...then I get another crit lol. I've got way too many mega pets that are identical!

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
If anything like that is done it should be accessible with gold or effort, not crowns. No more "pay to win" features please. It's easier than ever to get a good pet, but a PERFECT pet should require effort, not be a slam dunk for rich kids. I'd rather see a "re-roll talent" for everyone, where we could untrain or reset a slot and unlock the next by way of gold and/or training. That would be fair to all and give a second chance on a good hatch gone wrong. I fear "sneak preview" would just eliminated a lot of time and training for players with money, while everyone else labours on.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
Gemma Luna on Jan 10, 2019 wrote:
If anything like that is done it should be accessible with gold or effort, not crowns. No more "pay to win" features please. It's easier than ever to get a good pet, but a PERFECT pet should require effort, not be a slam dunk for rich kids. I'd rather see a "re-roll talent" for everyone, where we could untrain or reset a slot and unlock the next by way of gold and/or training. That would be fair to all and give a second chance on a good hatch gone wrong. I fear "sneak preview" would just eliminated a lot of time and training for players with money, while everyone else labours on.
While I would also love not having to spend real money on a pet, that just isn't plausible when it's a way that KI makes quite a bit of money.

It's possible to get the perfect pet now without spending any real money at all, the thing is most people aren't patient enough to do so. It's got nothing to do with anyone being "rich kids" (you also don't really have to be rich to spend money on crowns you just need $5 that you can spend with a card instead of a dollar bill) and more to do with people want the perfect pet in a couple of days not a couple of weeks or even months depending on how good or bad your hatches go.

Hatching the perfect pet in other words is not pay to win but is actually a battle of how patient and determined someone can be to hatch that perfect pet. The hatching kiosk means everyone who can get gold has access to good pets. Couch potatoes and magma peas can be farmed in Grizzleheim and other end game worlds, so with dedication to gardening everyone can have snacks as well. After that it's a matter of researching the pet hatching process and following it to get talents you want and having the patience to only be able to hatch once or twice a day since the timer takes 12 hours to reset. None of that takes crowns to get ahold of. In fact it is how I used to do my pets before I started making enough money to buy crowns on occasion.

So while I also like your re-roll idea, asking for it to be gold based really isn't reasonable when it would make KI lose lots of money as my post earlier mentioned with the original idea that started this thread. If you want to not spend money on potions expect to have to spend it somewhere else. The company has to make money somehow and they have given you a way to do pet hatching without potions too. You just need a membership and without that there's no point in even a good pet anyway since you can't go past Triton Avenue or pvp. And of course the patience to do it over weeks not days.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Gemma Luna on Jan 10, 2019 wrote:
While I would love for everything to be "free" as far as real life currency is concerned, K.I. has to have income in order to continue developing and running the game. A "sneak preview" feature would help save some players a lot of time and effort, yes, but just as with other things, just because someone can afford it, doesn't mean they buy it.

As for using gold, that would be unfair to those who don't know how to earn lots of gold easily. Push come to shove, if I need gold real bad and have nothing that I can sell, I can earn 100k gold in about an hour or less. The comes from knowing how to do it, and being capable of doing it. So, what would be a fair price in gold? Some people would struggle to get 5k gold while others would always be able to laugh at 25k prices.