Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Hatching Question

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
If this is a dumb question I'm sorry lol. So I've been pet hatching recently and my goal was to have a pet that had healing, I am a death wizard who currently has a Scarecrow and got unicorn and fairy may cast plus critical which is good. But I started wondering if that's too much healing. I looked at the deathdactyl and is it better to have a pet that has a blade card with all the talents you want? I see most people go for that and if it is can I hatch one with my scarecrow to eventually get it?

I appreciate any feedback!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
calnoe on Oct 22, 2018 wrote:
If this is a dumb question I'm sorry lol. So I've been pet hatching recently and my goal was to have a pet that had healing, I am a death wizard who currently has a Scarecrow and got unicorn and fairy may cast plus critical which is good. But I started wondering if that's too much healing. I looked at the deathdactyl and is it better to have a pet that has a blade card with all the talents you want? I see most people go for that and if it is can I hatch one with my scarecrow to eventually get it?

That's not a dumb question at all

When it comes to pets I look at my stats and spells to decide what my wizard would benefit from in a pet. If I haven't got sharpen blade yet then a blade or sharp cards would be especially useful. If I play solo or want a pet to help me when solo then a heal is usually helpful...they can save us so many pips!

What role does my wizard play? Storm and fire are always damage for me so they get damage boosting talents. Some of my wizards like resists so I make them a ward pet. My very low levels LOVE healing pets because they save them so often!

I look at my stats and decide what I'd like boosted more. When hatching, I choose to hatch with a pet that has high stats (the number next to the strength, agility etc...the current max possible is 255 250 260 260 250 from top to bottom)...this affects any stat that shows as a percentage (eg damage, resist etc). I also want the pet I choose to hatch with to have the talents I've chosen to help my wizard. If it has high stats but the wrong talents I don't want it. If it has good stats and the right talents showing then I can make a nice pet from it.

I'll hatch a few times, always trying to hatch with the same pet, but each hatch I will train up MY baby to adult for the hatch. Each baby gets a little boost on their stat bars and gets some of the talents from the pet I am hatching with. I want to make sure I get all of their talents that I want before I train it above adult...if the talent isn't in the baby I made then no matter how much I train it, I won't get it.

It's a simplified version of real life selective breeding...always hatch your animal with something superior that has attributes (talent) that you want in the baby

If you'd like more help with hatching just let me know, I am happy to help any way I can and happy to share my pets too.

Explorer
Sep 04, 2017
Sounds like you are looking for a pet for your wizard, (not pvp or racing). As your wizard gets higher, the available stats for your pet get better. As you get higher, pierce is more important than critical, as the bad guys tend to block, a lot. My best pet has double crit, double health may casts and pierce. Not perfect, I would rather have double pierce than double health, but close enough. The other may casts seem to cast when you never need them and I try to stay away from all. Have fun hatching, my favorite part of the game.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2012
calnoe on Oct 22, 2018 wrote:

That's an interesting question. My thought is, Death wizards can heal themselves with many of their spells (ghoul, vampire, etc.) so i seems to me that one heal spell would be enough.

But it's your pet! If you're happy with fairy and unicorn, then that's just what you should have.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
Patrick Postreader on Oct 30, 2018 wrote:
That's an interesting question. My thought is, Death wizards can heal themselves with many of their spells (ghoul, vampire, etc.) so i seems to me that one heal spell would be enough.

But it's your pet! If you're happy with fairy and unicorn, then that's just what you should have.
Yes that’s what I was thinking. I actually just wanted a pet a with a blade and try and go for triple damage, crit, and resist. I got a pet I didn’t think I would get which is a shadow beast so I’m working on that and it hasn’t failed yet on me on the fifth hatch but we’ll see. I’ve been seeing how people train their pets in my school and I think that since I can heal myself that one may cast would be enough, but I’ll see what happens. Thank you guys for the feedback

Survivor
Jul 24, 2009
Hello I'm trying to get a burning dryad what pet can I hatch with it to get a burning dryad I'm a fire student I tried sun serpent two times didn't work I get back tree serpent not the burning dryad please help ty

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
calnoe on Oct 31, 2018 wrote:
Yes that’s what I was thinking. I actually just wanted a pet a with a blade and try and go for triple damage, crit, and resist. I got a pet I didn’t think I would get which is a shadow beast so I’m working on that and it hasn’t failed yet on me on the fifth hatch but we’ll see. I’ve been seeing how people train their pets in my school and I think that since I can heal myself that one may cast would be enough, but I’ll see what happens. Thank you guys for the feedback
I have a deathdactyl that gives the deathblade, death scarab and dark pact cards. She's 2.0 max stats (255 250 260 260 250) and has Death-Dealer, Death-Giver, Pain-Giver, Critical Hitter and Spell-Proof. Her name is Princess Molly and I've just popped her into the kiosk for you if you'd like to hatch with her.

I can keep her in the kiosk as long as you need so keep me posted if you're using her and when you've finished so I know to either keep her in for you or let her time out

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Shevonne21 on Oct 31, 2018 wrote:
Hello I'm trying to get a burning dryad what pet can I hatch with it to get a burning dryad I'm a fire student I tried sun serpent two times didn't work I get back tree serpent not the burning dryad please help ty
The Burning Dryad is a rare hybrid from combining a Dryad and Sun Serpent. You'd probably stand a better chance of getting the burning dryad if you hatch with one directly instead of trying to make one from the base combo. They're able to be found in the kiosk if you look under Hybrids

I hope this helps, happy hatching!

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 1, 2018 wrote:
I have a deathdactyl that gives the deathblade, death scarab and dark pact cards. She's 2.0 max stats (255 250 260 260 250) and has Death-Dealer, Death-Giver, Pain-Giver, Critical Hitter and Spell-Proof. Her name is Princess Molly and I've just popped her into the kiosk for you if you'd like to hatch with her.

I can keep her in the kiosk as long as you need so keep me posted if you're using her and when you've finished so I know to either keep her in for you or let her time out
I actually have been hatching with a ghulture and I just leveled my pet to ancient and he has death dealer, death-giver, and critical striker with a death away jewel so far he's a success. I'll have to level him up more to see. I think I've gotten rid of sticky talents so I have a good feeling. Thank you though!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
calnoe on Nov 2, 2018 wrote:
I actually have been hatching with a ghulture and I just leveled my pet to ancient and he has death dealer, death-giver, and critical striker with a death away jewel so far he's a success. I'll have to level him up more to see. I think I've gotten rid of sticky talents so I have a good feeling. Thank you though!
Awesome, I love the ghultures...they look amazing! I hope you get all the talents you want

Good luck and happy hatching!