Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Breeding

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 22, 2018
So I went and bred my pet with one of my friends pets. Mind you I made just enough money to breed it because my friend really wanted my pet. Why did it not give my friend a copy of my pet and me a copy of my friends pet? It was really disappointing to us. Now we're out of money, have the same pet we had before at the same quality, and really annoyed. Can anyone tell me what went wrong and why that happened?
- Myrna (lvl 34 wizard)

Defender
Mar 12, 2018
Minotoka on Oct 12, 2018 wrote:
So I went and bred my pet with one of my friends pets. Mind you I made just enough money to breed it because my friend really wanted my pet. Why did it not give my friend a copy of my pet and me a copy of my friends pet? It was really disappointing to us. Now we're out of money, have the same pet we had before at the same quality, and really annoyed. Can anyone tell me what went wrong and why that happened?
- Myrna (lvl 34 wizard)
Hey Myrna,

I am so sorry about your hatching experience. The fact is is that its a matter of luck weather you get your pet back or the pet you are hatching with. It can sometimes take several tries. What does change each time is the talents the pet manifests. Even if you get your same pet back, your friends talents are now in the potential talents your pet can manifest if you raise the new one.

If talents and stats don't matter to you right now and you are just going after the pet itself, the only answer is just keep trying. You can get gold for hatching by starting up gardening and its a good skill to have for pet training since it also gives snacks. I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, I'm here.

Cheers,
Nathan Darkhorn

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Apologies about this Myrna.

Whenever you hatch a pet, whether it's self-hatching, the sigil or through the kiosk, the chance of getting the pet hatched with is not 100% unless both pets are the same.

The odds of getting back your own pet further increases when you hatch with crowns-only pet.

Now in terms of you and your friend's experience, I'm not sure of the pets you used since you didn't provide that info, but what I mentioned still stands.

The only thing I can advise you do is to hatch again.

It's a luck process really.

I also find that when two crowns only pet are hatched together, it further increases your odds of getting the other pet used.

Good Luck!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Unfortunately, pet breeding is very luck-based. You and your friend might have to try several times in order to trade pet types by way of hatching.

Earning enough gold can be a real challenge for low level wizards, but there are a few ways to get it. You can try grinding bosses and selling off their gear; fishing and selling off the fish; or gardening and sell off the treasure cards and low level pet snacks. Both fishing and gardening take energy, so it would be better to focus on one or the other.

Hope at least one of you has better luck next time,

Alia Misthaven