Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Darkwind/Astraphobia's lack of visual effects

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 09, 2009
So something that has bugged me since the change way back in the day that changed all global aura abilities from giant bubbles to rings that surround the entire field was Storm's globals and how much they were diminished in visual awareness and effects. Darkwind, when global spells were still bubbles, caused the area to downpour. Now, it creates a surging ring of electricity that emits from the ground but.. that's it.

Now, normally I wouldn't mind this as I expected the rings to have a lot less going on with them than the bubbles. However, that's actually not the case. Storm is the only one who lost most of their additional visual effects.

For example:

Sanctuary makes leaves fall from the sky and gives a green tint to the things around.
Doom and Gloom looms with skulls and dark particles that fall from the sky to bring devastation to the idea of healing.
Wyldfire rains ash from the sky.
Balefrost makes it snow ever so gently.
Powerplay casts a ray of light similar to sun rays shining through a window.
Time of Legend makes.. eyes fall from the sky. (Always found this one a little strange.)
Darkwind? Nothing. Nothing falls from the sky. For some reason, it's the only one without anything that makes something fall.

Why do you suppose this is and if you were to give Darkwind something to have fall from the sky, what would it be that would be fitting?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
When this change was implemented with what seemed like little notice, I recalled how heavily disappointed I along with several members of the community were to see such a lackluster alteration to something that wasn't needed.

Now, fast forward years later and that disappointment still persists. I'm especially reminded by this when enemies use global spells of their own.

Such changes like this, I would've liked to see an option to toggle the visual effects of the spells on/or similarly to the new re-worked effects on Wizard City.

Then, those who mind the great effects will have an alternative without the ones who enjoy it suffering.

I do miss how the spells looked back in the day..and hence would like to see some steps made to bring them back to their originality with the option.