Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion to diminish the luck factor

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 02, 2016
I have an idea that would significantly improve the gameplay experience and make it a lot less frustrating and luck based. We all know how farming works. When you farm for the desired item, you could get it first try but there is also a chance that you never get it. And so, it all depends on luck. A person might be able to get the entire set of gear that he wants in 3 runs, while others might only get it after 100 runs or just never get it. Now I have a solution to this problem. I shared this idea with quite a few wizards and all of them supported it so far. Here is the solution: let's say you farm for the Medulla Gear( just an example). Now, each time you defeat the boss you should be able to earn some kind of credit( let's say Medulla essence). Now, if you acquire enough of that credit, you should be able to craft the specific gear that you want. So, let's say, farm Medulla 15 times to get that hat or farm Medulla 5 times to get that jewel etc. That way, you are guaranteed to get the gear that you want after a set amount of runs. Of course, no need to remove luck completely. If players are lucky, they could get it as a drop without having to craft it. So, what do you think? How does this idea sound to you? Please let me know.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
As a dedicated crafter, I love the idea of being able to earn a set amount of credit (essence, etc) so I can just craft the gear I want. That's a far better alternative to grinding the same battle over and over and over and over and over...... Lord, it gets boring and frustrating to do the same thing again and again and have nothing to show for it.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Well, slogging through dungeons over and over in hope that we'll get that coveted item with a less than 1% drop rate amounts to the same thing.

Give us a way out of the madness. Yes, please!

Alia Misthaven

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
As much as I like this, people in the lower-level dungeons like Olympus would just do Apollo over and over on higher characters to get the senator gear and just move on. They could obviously do Zeus if they wanted, but with this it wouldn't be necessary. Make it no trade, or just don't make it an object, and you have my +1.

Can we please also do this for Loremaster spells

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
This has been suggested so many times because it is something players would really like!

I'd love to see more crafting options that require tier 2 drops as part of the recipe. A little like Mount Olympus, which has the option to craft tier 2 drops into something competitive with Zeus gear. I can see why the crafted gear there is still a little below the Zeus gear because it only requires one tier 2 item to make and they're pretty easy to get, but if a recipe required several I don't see why it should need to be inferior to the tier 1 item.

Some players need to see progress to stay motivated, even if it is only small. The complete RNG on drops makes it all or nothing, which can be demotivating to this kind of player. I don't think it would take anything from players who are happy to farm, farm, farm...I just think it would be uplifting and encouraging to those who don't feel like that, and that's got to be a good thing imo

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
AlexanderStormCall... on Sep 18, 2018 wrote:
I have an idea that would significantly improve the gameplay experience and make it a lot less frustrating and luck based. We all know how farming works. When you farm for the desired item, you could get it first try but there is also a chance that you never get it. And so, it all depends on luck. A person might be able to get the entire set of gear that he wants in 3 runs, while others might only get it after 100 runs or just never get it. Now I have a solution to this problem. I shared this idea with quite a few wizards and all of them supported it so far. Here is the solution: let's say you farm for the Medulla Gear( just an example). Now, each time you defeat the boss you should be able to earn some kind of credit( let's say Medulla essence). Now, if you acquire enough of that credit, you should be able to craft the specific gear that you want. So, let's say, farm Medulla 15 times to get that hat or farm Medulla 5 times to get that jewel etc. That way, you are guaranteed to get the gear that you want after a set amount of runs. Of course, no need to remove luck completely. If players are lucky, they could get it as a drop without having to craft it. So, what do you think? How does this idea sound to you? Please let me know.
While your idea is good, it doesn't work for Loremaster boss. There's already a way to craft the permanent spells she drops and even though spells are difficult to craft, it's still doable if you have the patience to gather all the reagents. It took me about a month to gather everything I need to craft Goat Monk on my Life wizard, but I do agree that there needs to be something done to make farming more fun and diminish the luck factor of farming. It doesn't matter if you farm Loremaster, Medulla, or whatever boss one time or thousands, if not millions, of times. The chances of you getting your desired item or spell are still the same, which is where the frustration of farming comes in. It's frustrating to repeatedly battle a boss for a long period of time and come out empty handed. My solution for improving your chances at the good stuff is simple. There should be gear that increases your luck on drops. Think about it, we already have fishing gear that improves our fishing luck, why not add in gear that also improves our boss drop luck so we have better chances at getting the good drops? I'm sure that "drop luck chance" could be added to our current gear set, like the Malistaire gear from Darkmoor or something like that, so it won't cripple our stats when we use our luck gear. I do like how you brought up this topic though, I'm sure many players are frustrated with farming a boss over a long time and having nothing to show for it, as well as not getting their desired drop.

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 98 Diviner, Lore Spell and Promethean Pet Enthusiast)

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
JewelKI on Sep 19, 2018 wrote:
As much as I like this, people in the lower-level dungeons like Olympus would just do Apollo over and over on higher characters to get the senator gear and just move on. They could obviously do Zeus if they wanted, but with this it wouldn't be necessary. Make it no trade, or just don't make it an object, and you have my +1.

Can we please also do this for Loremaster spells
I think you misunderstood the concept in your concern about Mt. Olympus.

In order to get (or craft) some version of the Zeus gear, obviously they would have to defeat ZEUS some set number of times. Apollo would not get them the Zeus essence or credit, only defeating Zeus would count. Or at least, that's the way I understood the concept.

As for Loremaster, there is already an alternative to grinding: we can craft the spells.

Alia Misthaven