Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Removing the chat filter

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 13, 2008
As it says above the chat filter really needs to be removed some words that aren't bad are triggering warnings out of no where i have screenshots and a few people who can agree with me that out of the small conversation we had shouldn't have triggered any warning at all and a few screen shots of what was said. Its honestly doing unneeded damage in the long run it was a great thought planned out to stop the pottymouth players in commons or the arent but with all these new words being put in yellow or red its just in short a very bad idea how its giving people warnings for the word "ridiculous" now like why is it a problem now it shouldnt be in the first place..

sorry for the rant but to play this long and be scared to even get on for the fear of being muted over a simple word is ridiculous lol..

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Back in about 2011 or so, there was no need to gain Open Chat as one was freely able to say numerous words and even numbers without being barred.

Now, as the years rolled on, many wizards chose to take advantage of this "freedom" and started as you mentioned, taking advantage of the systems.

That resulted in how the chat is today.

While I don't think the filter should be removed, I do think that those who've a clean background sheet should be given more of a less guarded chat filter.

It wouldn't provide all the opportunities like Open Chat does, but it would be very similar to how the chat was back in the day.

I've to admit that it really isn't fair that all those who're innocent of abusing the chat system have to be suffering as well.

Survivor
Feb 18, 2012
I think there should be an option to disable the filter for yourself. People with the filter enabled would still get the "..." but the ones who disable it can see what was originally written.
I would like to disable the filter because harsh words don't bother me. On top of that, I'm German and I have some German friends that I would like to be able to talk in German to.

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
Star Edward on Sep 7, 2018 wrote:
Back in about 2011 or so, there was no need to gain Open Chat as one was freely able to say numerous words and even numbers without being barred.

Now, as the years rolled on, many wizards chose to take advantage of this "freedom" and started as you mentioned, taking advantage of the systems.

That resulted in how the chat is today.

While I don't think the filter should be removed, I do think that those who've a clean background sheet should be given more of a less guarded chat filter.

It wouldn't provide all the opportunities like Open Chat does, but it would be very similar to how the chat was back in the day.

I've to admit that it really isn't fair that all those who're innocent of abusing the chat system have to be suffering as well.

agreed sir i guess needing the filter being removed is a bit of an over-reaction it would make it worse but like you said it should be better worked on.. :/ and i did have a clean slate until that word becoming an issue came like a month or so ago i had said something about the aquila spells having 18 amber and wysteria spells having 25 amber require was ridiculous and thought it was someone false reporting me but once i said it again talking about my 4/6 wizards plants on their way to dying when i had just treated them 10 hours before i said and quote "its rediculous how this wizards plants are dying but the other are just fine and it showed up giving me a warning then again when my friend got jealous after farming rat and omen he had got the omen deck i wanted and i got the triple socket amulet from rat he wanted forever and said "this night was ridiculous that we both got what the other wanted.." i've tried getting him to use discord but because of his living situation its just not possible.

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
Maikimaik on Sep 7, 2018 wrote:
I think there should be an option to disable the filter for yourself. People with the filter enabled would still get the "..." but the ones who disable it can see what was originally written.
I would like to disable the filter because harsh words don't bother me. On top of that, I'm German and I have some German friends that I would like to be able to talk in German to.
honestly the chat filter system should have a translator type of thing or a better overhaul not shooting out warnings for people who don't speak English unless that isn't your issue

Survivor
Jul 03, 2011
can anyone plz tell me how to post a question?

Survivor
Jun 24, 2011
I haven't played since beta or anything like that, but I am a fairly old player and I distinctly recall the update with Avalon in it being one of the first problematic filter updates. I remember that "DX" was barred for some strange reason, when myself and a friend would frequently use it as a face. I also know that excess u's were banned, I used to say "nuuuuuu" and couldn't say that anymore. I really don't see the problem with either of those, you can't even use the "@" and "$" symbols at all. I understand some misguided children and rude teenagers play fast and loose with the filter rules and everyone gets backlash for it. I am fairly active in the FaceBook wizard community and I have seen the occasional foolish teenager but easily 99% of the indviduals I have seen are responsible adults who, frankly, would love to see the foolish ones get what the deserve, but are caught in the process.

Last time I checked, this game was a family game, which means players of all ages played, not just children (who should have menu chat) and teenagers (who should have text chat). Legitimate adults and good people play the game and do not deserve the same treatment because they are far from the same. There is certainly work to be done on the chat filter, perhaps a complete overhaul entirely. It really isn't right in the current state.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
The most ridiculous thing about this filter is the fact that they can't even let you get open chat after you've grown up. Just because I was 10 years old when I created my account and chose to be honest about my age, I will now forever be stuck in limited/text chat as a 20 year-old adult. Thanks KI.

I can understand there's a law about not being able to track info of children under 13, but you can definitely do something about it, such as letting us old players re-enter our birthdays or confirm in some other way.

I have never been "rightfully" reported, and was reported only a few times (like 3), where I was reported for winning in Pvp or some weird false report by random people. I have probably one of the cleanest backgrounds on this game, yet I'm only allowed limited chat while "smart" kids these days just go ahead and lie about their age and get open chat as a 13 year-old. We all know this is true.

Limited chat is pretty unnecessary anyway. Why are parents so overprotective and concerned about their children on a game? Even open chat doesn't allow you to curse, and many nasty combo of words around the filter turn red. This is the most secure chat system I've ever seen, and it's not like your children don't watch TV, youtube, or hear other people in real life, such as at school, at stores, etc, curse.

Menu chat is even worse. Why let your children suffer in frustration when rarely anyone on this game would friend them or help them in dungeons because they can't communicate properly? You might be protecting them from 1 or 2 horrible people on the game, but also preventing them from learning and having fun. Children can learn from communication too. It would help develop their spelling, grammar, forms of speech, and vocabulary by communicating with other players. I know that from my experience because English is not my first language, and I got so much better at it by talking on this game.

Nothing will be done, but I hope people can see my opinions on this topic.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2017
It's a complete hazard to those who want to talk openly with friends. Did you know numbers and words of numbers are banned(For example 4 and Four). Yesterday i had to completely re think what i wanted to say, Because of the overly protective chat block i couldn't say what i wanted to say. I agree with the chat block being removed. Parents who want to protect there kids should either deal with it, Or have there kids restricted to chat bubbles only.

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
jafar00201020 on Sep 7, 2018 wrote:
can anyone plz tell me how to post a question?
Hi there!

To make a new thread, go into the correct section and click "New Topic" in the top left corner. :)

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
Keira0228 on Sep 8, 2018 wrote:
The most ridiculous thing about this filter is the fact that they can't even let you get open chat after you've grown up. Just because I was 10 years old when I created my account and chose to be honest about my age, I will now forever be stuck in limited/text chat as a 20 year-old adult. Thanks KI.

I can understand there's a law about not being able to track info of children under 13, but you can definitely do something about it, such as letting us old players re-enter our birthdays or confirm in some other way.

I have never been "rightfully" reported, and was reported only a few times (like 3), where I was reported for winning in Pvp or some weird false report by random people. I have probably one of the cleanest backgrounds on this game, yet I'm only allowed limited chat while "smart" kids these days just go ahead and lie about their age and get open chat as a 13 year-old. We all know this is true.

Limited chat is pretty unnecessary anyway. Why are parents so overprotective and concerned about their children on a game? Even open chat doesn't allow you to curse, and many nasty combo of words around the filter turn red. This is the most secure chat system I've ever seen, and it's not like your children don't watch TV, youtube, or hear other people in real life, such as at school, at stores, etc, curse.

Menu chat is even worse. Why let your children suffer in frustration when rarely anyone on this game would friend them or help them in dungeons because they can't communicate properly? You might be protecting them from 1 or 2 horrible people on the game, but also preventing them from learning and having fun. Children can learn from communication too. It would help develop their spelling, grammar, forms of speech, and vocabulary by communicating with other players. I know that from my experience because English is not my first language, and I got so much better at it by talking on this game.

Ive been falsely reported in pvp as well but only int the first age however i pretty much never went back cause people were being so unbelieveably rude say my preference for love is the same gender or im a "slow person" (they didnt say slow person but the word that start s with an r and ends with a d) i pretty much said forgetit and never turned back next was the hatchery the second worst place in the game before the hatchery kiosk.. that pedestal with the cat guy on it i was up there spinning with a friend i said brb im gonna get some lunch and come back to a full hatchery with about 3 false reports some people are barbaric for no reasons sometimes

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
Keira0228 on Sep 8, 2018 wrote:

What do you mean Text Chat is unnecessary? I think it IS necessary because Text Chat filters out bad words and numbers. I'm not a parent, just your everyday third year college student, but if I was a parent, I wouldn't want my child learning curse words off of a game that's meant to be fun for all ages. You do realize Kingsisle could get lawsuit after lawsuit if they allowed everyone in the game to have open chat, so I am happy that their chat system is controlled in this way, by controlling who is eligible for open chat and who isn't. If they allowed everyone in the game to have open chat, what's to stop someone's child from revealing private information, such as credit card numbers, home addresses, cell phone numbers? How would you go about monitoring that if everyone was given eligibility to talk freely? Open chat can only be enabled by being over 18 AND making a valid purchase with a valid credit or debit card. That way, Kingsisle has your information on file and can legally prove your age. It's not the parents being "overprotective." It's the fact that children these days are fast learners and very unpredictable. As I stated above, there is nothing stopping a 10 year old child from revealing private information that is strictly meant to be confidential. I thank Kingsisle for having menu chat, text chat, and Open Chat restrictions in the game. They are needed to keep the order and justice of the game, as well as the integrity. Keep up the hard work and happy Decaversary!

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 92 Diviner, Lore Spell and Pet Enthusiast)

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I'm a bit confused because 'ridiculous' is in the white list (it's in the approved dictionary of words we can say in text chat or open chat). I've used it lots and never had a warning. Could the warning have been related to something else or (this is a long shot and would likely need to be reported by another player) an ambiguous use of the word where someone was using it to emphasise the second syllable?

Defender
Jul 26, 2013
I completely agree about getting open chat as kids grow up. My situation is different, I set up this account for my niece when she wanted something to play. I had her put in her real age. I think she was 8 at the time. After I found out she couldn't go to certain area's because you had to have a membership, I bought one. After school started up again and she left I started getting hooked on it. I am almost 50 and because I had my niece put her real age on the account I can't get open chat. She doesn't even live here . I've talked with wizard and they said this account will never have open chat simply because of a number. I have friends on here that I would love to talk to without having to try to find words that I can say. Some words I don't even know why we can't say like "get in" or "contact".
I tried to tell a friend how to contact wizard for help but couldn't say the word" contact", or how to " get in" touch with this person.
There has to be something done about this please . Maybe in the instructions before you have someone put there real age have something on there about open chat.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
I think it is good that KI is keeping the chat more civilized than what happens in most of the web. You are choosing to be in their playground, around the kids. The terms were not kept a secret. Those who insisted on swearing around the filter are responsible for how the filter is now. It got pretty bad, before the changes were made. Isn't there an area to play the game for people who speak German (and some other languages)? I thought there was, and it would have it's own moderator who knows German. Is that not the case?

I often have to rephrase things, but less than I used to, and am able to get my point across, except with some puns, that loose the joke when you switch words.

Survivor
Feb 18, 2012
Oh, I just found out that I will never be able to have open chat, because I was under the age of 13 when I made my account. This is just ridiculous. I am a legal adult now and I can do nothing to prove that? Apparently I can't even use my ID to verify my age, thank you KI.

Survivor
Feb 18, 2012
Calamity Finch on Sep 9, 2018 wrote:
I think it is good that KI is keeping the chat more civilized than what happens in most of the web. You are choosing to be in their playground, around the kids. The terms were not kept a secret. Those who insisted on swearing around the filter are responsible for how the filter is now. It got pretty bad, before the changes were made. Isn't there an area to play the game for people who speak German (and some other languages)? I thought there was, and it would have it's own moderator who knows German. Is that not the case?

I often have to rephrase things, but less than I used to, and am able to get my point across, except with some puns, that loose the joke when you switch words.
There are European servers, but they're all pretty much dead, both player- and update-wise.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
For all of you that are bashing KI for not allowing you to use open chat because you made the account when you or someone you made it for was under the age of 13. This is NOT KI being mean sadistic overlords. This is KI following the guidelines of COPPA (The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998). KI can not store any information (including birthdates) of any child under the age of 13 without violating Federal Law.

COPPA, like any other Federal Regulation, has its good points and places where the legislation failed to take into account things like a game staying relevant long enough and GOOD enough that players have played it for the better part of a decade and have since aged out of COPPA protection.

There are two options for any player stuck without open chat because of this.

1: Start a new account with your now adult identity (but I'll lose ALL my wizards, stuff and have to start over). Well you have to decide which you ant more, your old account or open chat.

2. Suck it up. Realize that there is nothing KI can do about it because the government's magic is stronger than theirs.

And as far as what is banned vocabulary and what is not, that is just KI trying to keep chat clean and safe because of trolls that have found new and inventive ways to swear, ask for for real world contact info, and otherwise abuse the system.

Frustrating for those of us who do not abuse the system? Yes. Necessary for KI to stay on top of because of COPPA? Yes.

All it takes is one bad apple to spoil it all for the rest of us.

Steven Ghoststalker
(much older wizard who would rather KI stay in line with the law)

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
Area51Alien on Sep 10, 2018 wrote:
For all of you that are bashing KI for not allowing you to use open chat because you made the account when you or someone you made it for was under the age of 13. This is NOT KI being mean sadistic overlords. This is KI following the guidelines of COPPA (The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998). KI can not store any information (including birthdates) of any child under the age of 13 without violating Federal Law.

COPPA, like any other Federal Regulation, has its good points and places where the legislation failed to take into account things like a game staying relevant long enough and GOOD enough that players have played it for the better part of a decade and have since aged out of COPPA protection.

1: Start a new account with your now adult identity (but I'll lose ALL my wizards, stuff and have to start over). Well you have to decide which you ant more, your old account or open chat.

2. Suck it up. Realize that there is nothing KI can do about it because the government's magic is stronger than theirs.

And as far as what is banned vocabulary and what is not, that is just KI trying to keep chat clean and safe because of trolls that have found new and inventive ways to swear, ask for for real world contact info, and otherwise abuse the system.

Frustrating for those of us who do not abuse the system? Yes. Necessary for KI to stay on top of because of COPPA? Yes.

Steven Ghoststalker
Im all on board with protecting kids from potty mouth players (most pvpers and players in the commons and hatchery) as the next guy but seriously they could be easing it back a little with somethings that are in red like some stuff mentioned above like "nuuuuuuuuuu" or "DX" which is literally someone saying noooooo and a facial expression, but it is a bit extra if you ask me but its not like anyone would care... and as for the ki bashing that does sound a bit childish but seriously people who have played for idk lets say 5 years with a "good slate" and has limited chat should be at least given a chance to prove themselves not be permanently stuck to limit chat i get that its to keep kids from getting open chat and learning all that bad junk but seriously the adults that let their kids change their age back then should be the ones suffering from that not the ones that joined at a so and so age and can do nothing about it now its making the community suffer again not saying the chat filter should be removed just changed up a little bit better than it is at this moment its just taking out the good with the bad as is for the moment

Survivor
Feb 18, 2012

Steven Ghoststalker
Well, it's not true that they can do nothing about it. Just allow us to use our ID as a verification method. Problem solved. There is no law forbidding companies to check your age using your ID.

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016

Steven Ghoststalker
Yeah, Area51Alien said everything I was going to say, but he explained it better than I did. It's really not Kingsisle's fault for those who are unable to get Open Chat because they made their Wizard101 accounts when they were under the age of 13 and as such, according to COPPA, Kingsisle must discard the information as it is a violation of Federal Law to keep the information of underage children on file. In short, I think the Open Chat system is fine as it is and doesn't need any change to it, although I don't understand why everyone is bashing on Kingsisle for being unable to enable open chat. Kingsisle doesn't make the laws. They just follow what legislation wrote on paper. Area51Alien also did a good job suggesting what to do if you're in this situation where you can't get open chat because of COPPA regulations and the fact you were underage when you made your account.

1. Make a brand new account- Making a new account means you lose all your wizards and all 10 years of your progress, so do keep that in mind, but with your now adult identity and a valid credit card purchase, you'll be eligible to unlock open chat. It's up to you which you value more, 10 years of progress or the ability to talk freely at the cost of 10 years of progress. Do you value open chat more at the cost of all your wizards? If so, choose this option.

2. Keep your old account- Keeping your old account, under COPPA protection, means you won't get to unlock Open Chat, but you do get to keep the 10 years of progress that you made on your account, as well as all your wizards. No starting over required here, but you do have to "suck it up" and deal with not having Open Chat and the ability to talk freely to others. Do you value 10 years of progress more than Open Chat? If so, choose this option.

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 92 Diviner, Lore Spell and Promethean Pet Enthusiast)

Thank you Area51Alien, aka Steven GhostStalker, for all of this valuable COPPA information.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
@IOUMan2013

I can tell you exactly why "DX" is banned in open chat. Yes it is an emoji, but pronounce it phonetically. Yeah, that's why it's banned. Again things that get banned in open chat are because someone got "creative" in chat work-arounds.

@Maikimiak

I don't know what the legalities of your suggestion are under COPPA, that would be a question for a lawyer. As a better than average informed non-legal expert, I can't see anything wrong with the idea. But then I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV. 8-)

@CrimsonReaper

Thank you for the additional comments.

Just remember everyone, Open Chat is KI's way of allowing within COPPA guidelines to talk to each other in game. And if ever you get just a bit inconvenienced by a sudden unexpected red-lettered word, remember it was because a TROLL has abused it it some manner previously.

Steven Ghoststalker

(stodgy old guy in real life)
(I prefer being a wizard)

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Maikimaik on Sep 10, 2018 wrote:
Well, it's not true that they can do nothing about it. Just allow us to use our ID as a verification method. Problem solved. There is no law forbidding companies to check your age using your ID.
Actually there is. It is illegal to attempt to work out the current age of anyone protected under COPPA regulations. This creates the eternal loop of protection - if your account is COPPA protected the only way to lift the COPPA regulations is to prove they are no longer relevant but the act of proving/verifying that is a breach of COPPA.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on Sep 12, 2018 wrote:
Actually there is. It is illegal to attempt to work out the current age of anyone protected under COPPA regulations. This creates the eternal loop of protection - if your account is COPPA protected the only way to lift the COPPA regulations is to prove they are no longer relevant but the act of proving/verifying that is a breach of COPPA.
So there we have it. Once COPPA'ed, forever COPPA'ed

KI's hands are tied. The only alternative for being able to legally remove COPPA from a COPPA protected account is to write a letter to your representative in Congress and petition them to amend the law. This will become a bigger problem and continue to grow as children who had accounts made when the law was enacted are 18 years of age + except for one thing...

KI is in the unenviable position of being a website that will continue to be used long past the age of COPPA protection. How many other websites that have kid-friendly content are still used by the children after the child reaches a certain age? PBSkids.org? my children stopped visiting that website before age 10.

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Jul 26, 2013
everyone's talking about making a new account so you can have open chat. well that's really not true. I asked KI about this if I could just cancel my account and make a new one. The thing is it can't be on my debit card that I had on the first account. That is the only card I have. They say it's the same as making the same account and lying about my age.