Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Reporting for dumb reasons?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 06, 2012
So I've played the game for many years, and I've done my fair share of reporting and being reported. One thing I've noticed is that many players (usually younger ones) like to report people for reasons that really aren't worth being reported for, like ignoring their friend request, asking them to go away, or even because someone called them a "noob." Sure, maybe these aren't extremely friendly gestures, but there's certainly got to be a line between being worthy of a report or just having (somewhat) free speech.

So my question is are these things worth reporting people for? In my opinion, they are not, but others I've talked to argue that if they feel offended even by the slightest thing they should report the person, which is nonsense to me... Any thoughts?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
It seems the reporting feature gets abused time and time again.

KI has repeatedly mentioned that you can't necessarily report someone because they ignored you, or joined your battle without asking and minor things like that.

What do you expect KI to do?

Ban them?

No.

Doesn't make much sense.

However, just so you and any others reading this is aware.

Whenever a report is submitted, KI usually looks at the chat log 10 minutes prior the report and also after.

They use this information among other things to decide whether the report is viable and if further perusal is required.

So, if you did nothing wrong, then being false reported is nothing to be too concerned about.

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
Brian GoldenShade on Aug 28, 2018 wrote:
So I've played the game for many years, and I've done my fair share of reporting and being reported. One thing I've noticed is that many players (usually younger ones) like to report people for reasons that really aren't worth being reported for, like ignoring their friend request, asking them to go away, or even because someone called them a "noob." Sure, maybe these aren't extremely friendly gestures, but there's certainly got to be a line between being worthy of a report or just having (somewhat) free speech.

So my question is are these things worth reporting people for? In my opinion, they are not, but others I've talked to argue that if they feel offended even by the slightest thing they should report the person, which is nonsense to me... Any thoughts?
I fully agree with you that there are players that report you for completely bogus reasons. I think my most bogus reason for getting reported was some guy needed help and he thought I was ignoring his cries for help, when in reality I was focused on completing my college assignments for my Criminal Justice major. He then reported me for "refusing to help." Some people don't have a shred of respect towards other players and you just have to learn to cope with that. When you are reported, a chat log gets sent to Mr. Lincoln in Golem Court and he decides if a punishment or sanctions are necessary. You have absolutely nothing to worry about if you were reported for unjust reasons, such as ignoring cries for help, ignoring friend requests, or telling someone to go away. Prospector Zeke also made a thread about what does and does not qualify as a reason to report. I will post the link for it below. Also, you are correct. Although not necessarily polite, you can't get reported for calling someone a "noob" because that's just expressing the First Amendment, freedom of speech, and you can't report someone for "being mean." You have other options than reporting, like ignore or changing realms. Long story short, you just have to learn how to cope with the people who like to go joyriding with the report button. It's not a fun experience for anyone getting false reported, except maybe the false reporter, but if they false report enough, Mr. Lincoln will flag their account and issue sanctions as he sees fit.

Prospector Zeke's link for what does and does not qualify as reportable offenses: https://www.wizard101.com/forum/headmasters-announcements/i-got-reported-28843

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 86 Diviner, Promethean Crafter, Lore Spell and Pet Enthusiast)