Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Give non-membership players a chance

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I have an Idea that may help Non-membership players. First I like to say, these new players can only level up in free zone then they're done until they buy a membership. Most of these players are attending school and no job to buy one or crowns nor have time to earn crowns to purchase Zones. What if KI gives these guys a benefit that only comes out; say, a few times a year sometime like a free to play weekend and maybe on certain Holidays? That will give these wizard a chance to gain levels, spells, better gear and possibly find a way to buy a membership instead of getting bored sitting around in the commons or doing Winterbane, Pagoda, etc.. over and over again. What's the harm in trying it out?

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
Patrick Ravenbane on Aug 21, 2018 wrote:
I have an Idea that may help Non-membership players. First I like to say, these new players can only level up in free zone then they're done until they buy a membership. Most of these players are attending school and no job to buy one or crowns nor have time to earn crowns to purchase Zones. What if KI gives these guys a benefit that only comes out; say, a few times a year sometime like a free to play weekend and maybe on certain Holidays? That will give these wizard a chance to gain levels, spells, better gear and possibly find a way to buy a membership instead of getting bored sitting around in the commons or doing Winterbane, Pagoda, etc.. over and over again. What's the harm in trying it out?
I personally like that idea. A free-to-play benefit would really help out those new players who are unable to afford memberships and once the free-to-play benefit expires, it'll give the players more of an incentive to purchase a membership to continue with the story line. It really does break my heart when I see that wizard that is unable to buy memberships due to attending school or not being old enough to have a job. I've played other online games and I've seen free-to-play benefits where they make the entire game free to play for everyone, including non members. This gives players who have never had a membership a chance to actually explore the game more and gain better gear and better loot. Perhaps Kingsisle will take your idea into consideration because there's no harm in making the game free to play for everyone every once in a while and it certainly won't harm Kingsisle's profit gains if you look at the business side of it. I fully support your idea, 100%.

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 82 Diviner and Promethean Crafter)

Survivor
May 22, 2016
I was actually one of those people. If you look at my joining date you'd think I'd be playing a long time. Well when I first joined I loved it. I had a fire witch and I leveled her up to level 10. Once I got to lvl 10 whenever I pressed the quest finder button it would be in a members only area. So I quit the game for a while until the beginnig of 2018 and I had some spare allowance to spend, so now I am a monthly member with a diviner witch, lvl 21

Explorer
Oct 04, 2012
I agree when I first started playing I was super close to stop for good but now I’m happy to be playing this game for almost 6 years now.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Aug 21, 2018 wrote:
There's more than one way to pay for this game; you can use game cards and use the crowns to buy areas, instead of a membership.
I leveled my first wizard to level15 before I bought a card and began buying areas; I now have most of the areas available for this game. That's the "chance" available to non-member players.

Yes, this makes the game slower and slightly more expensive than buying a yearly membership, then again, those areas are mine to play in for as long as the game lasts.
KingsIsle is in the business to make money, which goes back into the game to keep it going. They're also very generous, often giving free crowns away or opportunities for players to earn their own crowns. ( watching videos, KI trivia games & Daily Assignments. )

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
While I'm not against it, there's a few issues with it. Most importantly, is how to let people know it's going on? For those people who don't have enough time, which is why they're F2P, how would you let them know? They'd miss their opportunity unless it was on a known schedule, which it should not be (just like member benefits). Should it be on a known schedule or random like the member benefits? Is the cost of having this non-member benefit worth it? Will there be enough conversion from Free to Pay (either crowns or monthly) to warrant the programming and advertising? Only KI knows the answer to this.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
dayerider on Aug 28, 2018 wrote:
While I'm not against it, there's a few issues with it. Most importantly, is how to let people know it's going on? For those people who don't have enough time, which is why they're F2P, how would you let them know? They'd miss their opportunity unless it was on a known schedule, which it should not be (just like member benefits). Should it be on a known schedule or random like the member benefits? Is the cost of having this non-member benefit worth it? Will there be enough conversion from Free to Pay (either crowns or monthly) to warrant the programming and advertising? Only KI knows the answer to this.
I'm sure KI can work it out. There may always be issues in the beginning on everything we try and solve them later. That's the way it is in life. If we all sit back and look for problems instead of opportunities without trying it out first. we'll get nowhere and KI games wouldn't be as far as they are now.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
anecorbie on Aug 27, 2018 wrote:
There's more than one way to pay for this game; you can use game cards and use the crowns to buy areas, instead of a membership.
I leveled my first wizard to level15 before I bought a card and began buying areas; I now have most of the areas available for this game. That's the "chance" available to non-member players.

Yes, this makes the game slower and slightly more expensive than buying a yearly membership, then again, those areas are mine to play in for as long as the game lasts.
KingsIsle is in the business to make money, which goes back into the game to keep it going. They're also very generous, often giving free crowns away or opportunities for players to earn their own crowns. ( watching videos, KI trivia games & Daily Assignments. )
What you say is true but it hasn't been working that way enough and players had left the game because they got nowhere except being bored. I know KI is in the business to make money and to keep the games going but part of Business is customer satisfaction which is part of customers courtesy by giving promotions out for players to make more money. More you give, more you get back if the opportunities are there and it is in this idea. The "chance" you mentioned helps but not good enough for those who have no time to earn crowns and don't have an extra 10 dollar in cash to buy a card. People want to play for that amount of time they have. From reading your post, perhaps you miss read the purpose of my post. Please read it again starting with "First I like to say," I feel my idea is very reasonable and more fair for these young teenage players who don't have jobs and much game time to quest and/or pvp without doing harm to KI's bank.

Explorer
May 13, 2018
Maybe it should be they give you a week to try it out upon joining or some thing? Then you can decide afterwards

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Aug 28, 2018 wrote:
I'm sure KI can work it out. There may always be issues in the beginning on everything we try and solve them later. That's the way it is in life. If we all sit back and look for problems instead of opportunities without trying it out first. we'll get nowhere and KI games wouldn't be as far as they are now.
I was simply pointing out some hurdles they'd need to address, and wasnt bashing the idea