Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Balance Shield

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 15, 2013
I think a balance shield needs to be introduced. It would help tremendously in PVP! -80%
Tower just simply doesn't cut it anymore at level 125!

Survivor
Sep 03, 2009
I highly doubt they'd do it. Not having a "counter" is balance's greatest strength.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2017
The balance school can't really blade so it seems fair that there aren't any balance shields

Defender
Sep 15, 2013
Balance can most certainly blade. Not only can they blade, they can also continuously manaburn and lore spam. Two of three things need to happen. First, they need to introduce a balance shield, that much is for certain. Secondly they either need to do away with one of the weaknesses on the lore spell, either the weakness or the accuracy, or they need to treat manaburn as if it were a dispel and throw up a shield to prevent them from constantly doing it.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2009
I fell like that is something special for the class. I fell like it would destroy the puurpus of the class. Balance does not have a lot of damage so having only the tower shield seems like a good thing

Survivor
Aug 31, 2013
Jeremy Firestaff on Aug 13, 2018 wrote:
I think a balance shield needs to be introduced. It would help tremendously in PVP! -80%
Tower just simply doesn't cut it anymore at level 125!
This is certainly the most simple way to help make balance a little weaker, which it needs (really only in pvp though). You are absolutely right that tower shield doesn't cut it. Though balance spells need balance changes in general.

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
Jeremy Firestaff on Aug 16, 2018 wrote:
Balance can most certainly blade. Not only can they blade, they can also continuously manaburn and lore spam. Two of three things need to happen. First, they need to introduce a balance shield, that much is for certain. Secondly they either need to do away with one of the weaknesses on the lore spell, either the weakness or the accuracy, or they need to treat manaburn as if it were a dispel and throw up a shield to prevent them from constantly doing it.
I honestly think that they should either remove one of the debuffs on Loremaster or they should raise the Loremaster pip cost to 5 pips instead of 4 to prevent it from being spammed and abused in PvP. It doesn't take a genius to know how to spam Loremaster and instantly win battles. I think that Loremaster is a bit broken in terms of power due to it being such a low risk, high reward spell. The fact that there's no balance shield also means that as of now, there's really no counter play to Loremaster spammers in PvP, which further adds to the frustration of facing a Balance wizard who has Loremaster trained. What are you even supposed to do when a Balance wizard throws up Shrike turn one and starts spamming you with Loremasters? Like you said, Tower Shield doesn't cut it anymore at max level and Loremaster spell needs major nerfs to it to make it less obnoxious to play against. It grinds my gears when I face a Balance wizard because I know full well that they're just going to Loremaster spam me and instantly win, cause again, Loremaster is such a low risk, high reward spell. Either do away with one of the Loremaster debuffs or if you want to keep the debuffs, that's fine, but at least make Loremaster cost 5 pips, not 4, to prevent it from getting spammed and to give players more elbow room to play around an opponent who has Loremaster trained.

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 82 Diviner Lore spell enthusiast and owner of 15 Lore spells so far)

Defender
Sep 15, 2013
There are a lot of players that think balance is low damage and therefore should have no defenses. I would think that 100% of those people are balance wizards. I would also think that 0% of other wizards agree with that. At level 120 and above, balance causes ample damage, plus weakness, plus loss of accuracy. Their hard hitting spells also require very few pips. In three hits, you're dead, especially from second. All I pvp with is my level 125 fire, and believe me, I know how to play, but I have absolutely no defenses to counter balance. I lose 95% of matches to balance wizards, always! I will occasionally get lucky with someone new to pvp, but experienced balance wizards, not that it requires much experience to spam lore and mana burn, like crimsonreaper5 said, they'll kill me every time, no matter what I do. The way I have to play, I have to save pips to even have a shot of winning but how am I to do that if I constantly have no pips? And I have tried adjusting my accuracy to many different levels and still manage to fizzle to lore spams. It's infuriating! I don't know what other "warlords" are doing to win to them, but I certainly can't figure it out!

Survivor
Mar 28, 2017
Jeremy Firestaff on Aug 16, 2018 wrote:
Have you ever seen one blade? They don't do it because the blade is weak and it's universal so if the opponent has a Tower or if you have a Weakness a wand hit will cause you to lose the blade. They usually rely on small hits (Loremaster) to kill with the occasional Wurm or Gaze. I don't believe balance shields would be a good idea because they can't blade stack anyhow so they can't hit big and I do agree that Loremaster should not give a Mantle. I'd say that Mantle is what makes balances so strong and also their critical healing but thats another topic.

Defender
Sep 15, 2013
Lightning Punisher on Aug 26, 2018 wrote:
Have you ever seen one blade? They don't do it because the blade is weak and it's universal so if the opponent has a Tower or if you have a Weakness a wand hit will cause you to lose the blade. They usually rely on small hits (Loremaster) to kill with the occasional Wurm or Gaze. I don't believe balance shields would be a good idea because they can't blade stack anyhow so they can't hit big and I do agree that Loremaster should not give a Mantle. I'd say that Mantle is what makes balances so strong and also their critical healing but thats another topic.
Actually I think the majority of them don't waste time blading because they know they don't need it. They can kill in three hits. With the amount of pierce they have, a treasure card tower doesn't do anything. At least with a -80 shield you'd have at least some protection.

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
Jeremy Firestaff on Aug 26, 2018 wrote:
Actually I think the majority of them don't waste time blading because they know they don't need it. They can kill in three hits. With the amount of pierce they have, a treasure card tower doesn't do anything. At least with a -80 shield you'd have at least some protection.
And like you already stated, Jeremy, Tower Shield doesn't cut it anymore at max level due to how powerful Shadow Shrike is. Some posters here have different stances on the Balance Shield being added to the game, but if you want my opinion, I honestly think they should add a Balance Shield to the game. My reasoning for this is because Balance is extremely strong right now and most of them just use Loremaster nowadays. Whenever I'm facing a Balance wizard, I just load my deck with Insane Bolts, Vengeance, and Colossal and hope for the best because I know full well I'm about to get Loremaster spammed to death. As I previously already stated, Loremaster spell either needs a rework or some major nerfs because it is clearly an overtuned spell with zero counter play, other than being forced to invest in a Ward Pet specifically made to shut down Balance. There should be more counter play than that to Balance wizards in general and Loremaster other than making a Ward Pet. As far as Loremaster nerfs go, one of two things need to happen. If Kingsisle wants to keep the double debuffs for Loremaster (the weakness and the Black Mantle), that's fine, but raise the pip cost of Loremaster to 5 pips, not 4, to prevent it from being spammed and abused in PvP and to make matches against Balance wizards more fun. Conversely, if Kingsisle wants to keep Loremaster at 4 pips, that's fine too, but if Loremaster is kept at 4 pips, one of the debuffs have to go. Either get rid of the Weakness or get rid of the Black Mantle, because right now, Loremaster is such a low risk, high reward spell with little to no counterplay to it. I hate Loremaster just as much as the next guy, but as I was farming for exalted Fire mastery, the game gave me 2 Exalted Balance mastery amulets, one from Gladiator and another from Sand Squid. I also got Loremaster as a drop from Loremaster, so that's a sign.

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 85 Diviner, Promethean Crafter, Lore Spell Enthusiast)

Explorer
Jul 20, 2009
As someone who has a wizard of all schools I disagree. It's already impossible half the time to get around ice's weaver spam as balance because they keep adding shields once thats removed. Imagine them adding balance shields on top of that along with tower shields. Fire can easily beat balance if they know what they are doing and hit quick. Balance is the school of utility spells generally because blades are weak and attacks are weak so loremaster is well deserved. I don't blade stack on balance because its a waste against tower shields or people who use weaknesses. There's 2 ways to balance pvp which is offensive/offensive pet where yes the damage is high, but I almost always die if I do not immediately get shrikes and shadow pips in the first few rounds which is rare. Even with shields and heals its way too easy to die with lack of block and high defense so any fire/storm wizard who can hit fast usually wins, even with lore spams. The other way would be to have a ward pet to even that out but it definitely takes longer to kill another player even with spams. Assuming you are fire from your profile picture a well timed efreet can easily win the match. Every school has a spam strategy such as fire from above/efreet, weaver/wintermoon, loremaster, etc. If you blade stack or use fuels or any traps lore spam is almost ineffective because a 20 weakness and 35 accuracy doesn't touch a shadow hit with 2-4 blades/traps/feints along with 100+ damage, 30+ pierce, any possible bubbles, and accuracy jewels along with fire almost always being critical. Still receive 7-8000 damage with shields, lore weaknesses, and 50 resist. You just need to adjust your strategy

Survivor
Nov 10, 2011
You can upgrade the Tower shield in battle to make it stronger.