Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Name or Gender Change?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 26, 2011
In this day and age, many people who play w101 are older, and are more aware of decisions and changes in life. People in this game should be allowed to change their name or gender, and I don't think it would be too hard to implement. Just like the new magic mirror feature, just add name and gender. Here's a few reasons to support my claim:
1.) Most people played as kids, and probably would like to change their name from what younger them chose into something more suiting.
3.) The only argument against it is that it would be confusing for friends: just put a little notification that says "this friend has changed x" next to their friend thing?
2.) No one has mentioned transgender people? I am a trans boy, and I have played this game since beta and I have a character I've leveled up to max. She is a female character though, and uses my deadname and it really upsets me that I'm not comfortable using her anymore because of it.

I really really hope this is implemented some time in the future, it would be a step in the right direction.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Julia Iceblood on Aug 12, 2018 wrote:
In this day and age, many people who play w101 are older, and are more aware of decisions and changes in life. People in this game should be allowed to change their name or gender, and I don't think it would be too hard to implement. Just like the new magic mirror feature, just add name and gender. Here's a few reasons to support my claim:
1.) Most people played as kids, and probably would like to change their name from what younger them chose into something more suiting.
3.) The only argument against it is that it would be confusing for friends: just put a little notification that says "this friend has changed x" next to their friend thing?
2.) No one has mentioned transgender people? I am a trans boy, and I have played this game since beta and I have a character I've leveled up to max. She is a female character though, and uses my deadname and it really upsets me that I'm not comfortable using her anymore because of it.

I really really hope this is implemented some time in the future, it would be a step in the right direction.

I would like to see this change for both pirate101 and wizard101. Maybe perhaps add it to the magic mirror shop and make an equal equivalent for Pirate101? Maybe 200 crowns?

I face a similar problem on my Pirate101 character with male characters using my deadname and would love the option to be added in game to change your character's gender and name.

Another thing that name changes can allow is for older players who got married irl and would like to change their in game name to match their partner's characters. (Like if Dustin Suncloud and Rachel Dreamsong got married irl, then Rachel could change her last name to Suncloud)

Survivor
Jun 03, 2010
Yes! I myself am transgender and I had to delete my old high level wizard to start a whole new playthrough! im male to female, and in this day and age i think this should be a thing in wiz!

Survivor
Apr 26, 2011
Rachel Dreamsong on Aug 12, 2018 wrote:
I would like to see this change for both pirate101 and wizard101. Maybe perhaps add it to the magic mirror shop and make an equal equivalent for Pirate101? Maybe 200 crowns?

I face a similar problem on my Pirate101 character with male characters using my deadname and would love the option to be added in game to change your character's gender and name.

Another thing that name changes can allow is for older players who got married irl and would like to change their in game name to match their partner's characters. (Like if Dustin Suncloud and Rachel Dreamsong got married irl, then Rachel could change her last name to Suncloud)
Even my forum name is my dead name and can't be changed. Why does it seem like KI has such a problem with changing names or gender..? Seems lowkey transphobic if you ask me :/

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I think that everyone must need remember that this is just a game so "real world" discussions/issues/whatever need not always apply. That being said I am all for the name change (and 7th Wizard). A gender change I feel would not be appropriate especially for younger audiences. I understand that for some that would be a desired feature, but you have to keep in mind that that would not be a very highly requested feature and KI could spend those resources elsewhere. I don't think that KI would want to ever enter that arena because it is too political. While some may applaud them for being "progressive" I think it would alienate more people than it would help. Basically, I think that is too sensitive of a topic for a kids game and should NOT ever have to come up. Here are some old threads requesting similar features that I found:
https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/directed-to-the-professorsany-one-else-too-8ad6a42b644050f701644f441e7d655d/8ad6a425644050f201645c53e7f14349?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a425644050f201645c53e7f14349

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/choice-on-wearing-female-or-male-gear-8ad6a42663f834de01640571f1707dd0/8ad6a425644050f201645c5cc7004492?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a425644050f201645c5cc7004492

I like Sparkletude's post on the second thread. I think that it brings it into perspective. Sorry, that's all just my opinion and good luck!

See you in the game!

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Julia Iceblood on Aug 12, 2018 wrote:

Bless you, my trans sister ( male to female ) went through her whole life until she hit middle age before she admitted her difference.You're very brave to admit this. That being said, have you no more slots to create a new wizard?

Name change is possible as I saw in a now defunct game ( Free Realms ) where you could change your name and your friends received a notice "You are no longer friends with X, You are now friends with Y." First time that happened to me, it was confusing.
Perhaps a one time change for Crowns?

I don't know if a gender change is possible. I've never heard of a game that let you do that.

Survivor
Nov 23, 2015
I would love to see this implemented in both games! My friend who is mtf had to delete all of her characters because she wasn't comfortable playing as a boy. I hope Kingsisle adds this into the game. It would be nice to see!

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I'm guessing KI wants to keep things simple, and also not confuse kids with "identity & gender" political beliefs that are out of control. If you want a different gender, roll one up.