Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How to Get a Good Pet?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 26, 2012
I've always been fairly new to hatching/breeding and I need some help. I always see people with pets that have amazing talents and such, and I feel like the only player without one. So, how exactly do you breed for a pet with good talents? (Things such as healing may-casts, buffs, etc.) Where would I begin, and is it costly?

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Start here:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?193525-The-beginners%92-guide-to-the-pursuit-of-perfect-pet

Then go here and read all three links:

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/perfect-pvp-pets-part-1/

Some extra tips that neither site made clear to me (so I had to learn this the hard way!):

1) Get a pet, any pet, and train it to adult. Stop. Take that pet to the kiosk and select a "perfect" pet to hatch with. Keep hatching until you get the pet body type that you truly want.

2) Train that baby pet to ADULT. Stop. Do not train any further. Return to the kiosk and hatch with another "perfect" pet that has the talents you're looking for, preferably one with the same body type that your pet has. Train each resulting baby to adult and hatch it again with the perfect pet in the kiosk. Repeat this step about 4 times. By the 4th or 5th baby, you should have perfect or near perfect stats and a good pool of talents to work with.

3) Now you can try training a pet up to Ancient. If it gets three talents you want, hatch it again with one of those "perfect" pets. Try training the next baby up to Epic. If it gets four talents you want, then it's okay to risk training to Mega.

(Before you do, though, I suggest making a "safety hatch" so you'll have a clean baby to work with in case that 'perfect pet' you hoped you had ends up with a bad talent at Mega. Once a talent is learned, it tends to pop up again and again in future hatches.)

4) If, at any time, a baby develops a bad talent that you do not want, discard that baby. Try hatching again and only hatch pets that have good talents. Otherwise, you may end up with a bad, "sticky" talent that just won't go away.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven

Explorer
Dec 26, 2012
Freshta on Jul 26, 2018 wrote:
Start here:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?193525-The-beginners%92-guide-to-the-pursuit-of-perfect-pet

Then go here and read all three links:

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/perfect-pvp-pets-part-1/

Some extra tips that neither site made clear to me (so I had to learn this the hard way!):

1) Get a pet, any pet, and train it to adult. Stop. Take that pet to the kiosk and select a "perfect" pet to hatch with. Keep hatching until you get the pet body type that you truly want.

2) Train that baby pet to ADULT. Stop. Do not train any further. Return to the kiosk and hatch with another "perfect" pet that has the talents you're looking for, preferably one with the same body type that your pet has. Train each resulting baby to adult and hatch it again with the perfect pet in the kiosk. Repeat this step about 4 times. By the 4th or 5th baby, you should have perfect or near perfect stats and a good pool of talents to work with.

3) Now you can try training a pet up to Ancient. If it gets three talents you want, hatch it again with one of those "perfect" pets. Try training the next baby up to Epic. If it gets four talents you want, then it's okay to risk training to Mega.

(Before you do, though, I suggest making a "safety hatch" so you'll have a clean baby to work with in case that 'perfect pet' you hoped you had ends up with a bad talent at Mega. Once a talent is learned, it tends to pop up again and again in future hatches.)

4) If, at any time, a baby develops a bad talent that you do not want, discard that baby. Try hatching again and only hatch pets that have good talents. Otherwise, you may end up with a bad, "sticky" talent that just won't go away.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven
Thank you so very much I appreciate it! Breeding is easier than I thought, time consuming yes, but not that hard!