Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Removing Filtered Chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 06, 2017
Hi, I've been trying to remove chat filter in this game for some time now, however I cannot seem to locate it. I'm over 18 and my concern is I hadn't registered as such on my account. Is there a way around this issue, because this filter makes communicating a pain.

Cheers,
Criikey.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Have you checked under the Parental Controls tab in the My Accounts section of the KI website? You'll need your Master Password to access it, but that's where the option for Open Chat (The more lenient version of Text Chat) is. As long as you're 18+ and have made a credit card purchase on your account, you should be able to turn it on.

Survivor
Feb 06, 2017
Hey, thanks for the response. I've checked under that tab, but no 'open chat' appears. (see image)

The only two chat options are filtered text, and true friend code. I've made a number of purchases via a credit card, so I'm not quite sure why I'm not seeing this feature.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Yeah that's definitely where the option for it is supposed to go, right below Filtered Text. Is your account registered as being 18+? That might be what's tripping you up

Defender
May 30, 2010
Criikey on Jul 27, 2018 wrote:
Hey, thanks for the response. I've checked under that tab, but no 'open chat' appears. (see image)

The only two chat options are filtered text, and true friend code. I've made a number of purchases via a credit card, so I'm not quite sure why I'm not seeing this feature.
Did you make your account before you were 13 year old? Due to Child laws, anybody who made their account before they are 13 or 14 (i forget which) cannot get open chat. So sadly you either have to deal with filtered text and make a new account. At least you can type and are not menu chatter or a mute player

Survivor
Feb 06, 2017
I believe that may be the problem. At the time, I registered the account under a different DOB.(Younger than 18+) Is there anyway around this?

Explorer
Oct 01, 2011
This has been a topic of debate for sometime now and you are not the only one with this issue.
The short and unfortunate news is that due to some Law (idk the exact one) if you registered your DOB when the account was made as under 13, KI is legally not allowed to keep that information.
The law in question also stats that trying to figure out someones age in any way is illegal if they gave that information before they were over 13(IE doing basic math is technically trying to figure it out thus is illegal)

Basically to avoid legal trouble KI cannot alter your accounts open chat availability (or it would be like saying they figured out your age) only way around is creating a new account.

I know people have definitely tried to get it changed but I have no idea if anyone has been successful or not