Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chat Should be a little Less Strict

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 05, 2018
Yes, while I know this is a child's game that doesn't quiet stop the older audience from playing. I've been playing this ever since I was a child but just recently reinstalled the game and I've noticed a problem with the chat; it's way too restrictive. For example: I can say, "chicken nugget" however I can't add an "s" to the end of nuggets. There should be another level of chat, you've got your commands and free chat, why not a third one that allows us to get away with a little more for those who are older such as sixteen to seventeen years and up. Obviously not swearing but we should be able to say numbers, the term "oof, and small minor things as most older teenagers generally know what we're doing on the internet in terms of privacy and security.

Survivor
Nov 12, 2016
Just activate open chat on the website...

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
ClebIsBad on Jul 8, 2018 wrote:
Yes, while I know this is a child's game that doesn't quiet stop the older audience from playing. I've been playing this ever since I was a child but just recently reinstalled the game and I've noticed a problem with the chat; it's way too restrictive. For example: I can say, "chicken nugget" however I can't add an "s" to the end of nuggets. There should be another level of chat, you've got your commands and free chat, why not a third one that allows us to get away with a little more for those who are older such as sixteen to seventeen years and up. Obviously not swearing but we should be able to say numbers, the term "oof, and small minor things as most older teenagers generally know what we're doing on the internet in terms of privacy and security.
W101 has 3 chat levels:

Menu chat (predefined phrases or words)
Text chat (white list - anything listed is allowed)
Open chat (black list - nothing listed is allowed)

KI has everything covered and if your account is ineligible for open chat (where they only ban certain words or phrases) you should take it up with COPPA (children's online privacy protection act 1998) eg congress....it's a federal law prohibiting KI from allowing you (or any account made under the age of 13) from ever being able to access open chat....because the law makers are nincompoops who know nothing about children, psychology or internet usage....

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Some time ago, the text chat was not heavily filtered as it is now. You were once able to say numbers and alternate between Caps and not.

However, because of the uncouth decisions by fellow wizards abusing the chat system, KI was forced to take strong measures barring many of what some may call just 'common words.'

As a result, a few including myself have advocated for another form of chat for persons who:

Are in good standing with KI - No Reports/Sanctions etc.
Members
Unable to get Open Chat/Choose Not to.
Or whatever else KI may choose to add.

These persons will have a chat similar to Open Chat where there words won't be as heavily filtered as the regular text chat.

That way, those actually want to obey the rules of conduct while still not being unfairly punished because of the actions of those bad apples will now be able to express themselves more freely.