Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Indirect Spell Learning

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 26, 2015
LordVanya on Sep 20, 2018 wrote:
I agree.
There should be a quest for each professor that culminates in a battle against their best student(s).
Wysteria could definitely use some more content to give players a reason to go back.
Wysteria was an interesting world and I actually quite enjoyed, But once I learned it was a side world I was a bit heart broken. Having more purposes like spells and cool outfits or something cosmetic would definately make me happier I spent time on completing it.

And also I got this idea from another forum but what about the Dragonspyre Academy? That could also be an interesting way of learning spells and perhaps new fighting mechanics? Anyway I just thought that bouncing ideas back and forth could be fun.

James Ravensword Lvl 84

Survivor
Feb 07, 2014
dayerider on Sep 20, 2018 wrote:
No, Monstrology doesn't, but what it DOES have is the animus collection. If we selected certain spells, then got animus TYPE of item, they would simply need to change that system for mine and apply it. The groundwork has already been laid down with Monstrology. This wouldnt be much different. Im jsus applying the current system to a new idea.

The reason I used that is because it should be a bonus for a primary school, not secondary school. Adding in the limitations of pack spells etc allows for KI to maintain its income. Otherwise, they would lose a lot of money, and thus NEVER implement this idea.

If you want to suggest a way for them to add ALL of the other spells and make them available for people to get, then make the suggestion on the forum in your own thread, talking about your guidelines and see what feedback you get :) I don't have an issue with allowing for giving us a choice of spells to learn at each rank. Not every part of Wizard101 is for everybody. I don't PvP or do pet derbies, I've cut back on fishing, I dont garden anymore because I have no need for it (yet have gardens on all my wizards sitting at elder waiting for me to harvest them), and I don't decorate. These are all OPTIONAL content, as would spell farming.

Your big objection sounds like you want MORE spells than Im suggesting, be available to all wizards, and cost training points. That's fine, but that doesn't mean this type of thing can't be explored
1) I still think you are underestimating the workload involved in your idea.
You are asking KI to create an animus type item that automatically given to players of a matching school that you can then use in a system similar to how Monsterology works. So they would have to add a variable for each player that tracks every eligible spell. They have to create a special condition in the battle system that at the end of battle checks each player for each monster for each spell, then award "views". Then they have to make a new monsterology style page to track each spell's "views" only displaying the spells you have done a quest for.
-or-
Set up some new teachers and/or add teaching to some existing NPCs without altering any existing system at all.

2) I never said anything about learning pack spells, etc. If a spell is already learnable by packs or some other means then it should stay that way. I see no reason to change that. But I will point out that pack spells, etc are not restricted by primary school. So what good reason is there for adding that restriction to lesser, more common spells?

3) I did make a post about it.

4) It sounds to me like what you want is something else to do.
Not necessarily for the purpose of the spells themselves.
And that is a whole other issue entirely.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
LordVanya on Sep 26, 2018 wrote:
1) I still think you are underestimating the workload involved in your idea.
You are asking KI to create an animus type item that automatically given to players of a matching school that you can then use in a system similar to how Monsterology works. So they would have to add a variable for each player that tracks every eligible spell. They have to create a special condition in the battle system that at the end of battle checks each player for each monster for each spell, then award "views". Then they have to make a new monsterology style page to track each spell's "views" only displaying the spells you have done a quest for.
-or-
Set up some new teachers and/or add teaching to some existing NPCs without altering any existing system at all.

2) I never said anything about learning pack spells, etc. If a spell is already learnable by packs or some other means then it should stay that way. I see no reason to change that. But I will point out that pack spells, etc are not restricted by primary school. So what good reason is there for adding that restriction to lesser, more common spells?

3) I did make a post about it.

4) It sounds to me like what you want is something else to do.
Not necessarily for the purpose of the spells themselves.
And that is a whole other issue entirely.
1) I am asking KI to take the animus collection part of the game and apply it to spell learning. Even if we were to be able learn all the monster spells, it doesnt cover what I'm asking for. Some spells only show up as item or treasure cards and with my idea, we'd be able to learn these. Let's let KI comment on how difficult it would be to code because only they know that part of it.

2) You're failing to understand why that restriction is in place.

4) I want a way to learn spells we dont currently have, rather than just having "busy work" as you imply. Some of the spells would solve problems for school weaknesses and be beneficial in regular combat. I'm trying to balance the reward we get, with the ease of acquisition, with the coding required.

I think we just need to agree to disagree here.